Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I been charged for charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited a shopping centre near my home today and there are 2 Tesla destination charging spaces in the car park. So far I have always used the UMC at home but as I was at 72% SoC and would be an hour I thought I would plug in and try things out. I just plugged in and off it went, 32A according to my app. When I returned I unplugged and the app stated 3KWh used and the SoC was now 78%. How do I know if I was charged for this energy and at what rate, I cannot see anything in the app or in my online account?

In the UK they all seem to be free, or certainly not automatically billed. Destination chargers are generally for people using the destination and aren't just a "turn up and use" type thing when you're passing (you weren't I know), although if they're at the place you're visiting then, in the absence of signage telling you otherwise, just plug in and use. Places are increasingly starting to charge for their use, often just a fixed fee as metering can be difficult, and thats maybe a sign of rising energy costs. It's probably best not to see them as anything special for Tesla owners, they're just like any other destination charger and the same logic dictates, ie check the signs and be respectful.

As an aside, there is usually more than one at any particular location, some will have white writing on a red background and will only work on a Tesla. others will have red writing on a white background and will work on any EV. If you're being charitable then use the Tesla specific one if you have a choice leaving the other free for an other EV.