Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I been ripped off by KwikFit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 LR from September 2020 has now done 17.5k miles but I happened to notice the other day that there is uneven wear on both fronts with the inside edges completely bald.

I dropped into KwikFit just to get them to check all the types and they concluded that the fronts were illegal and the back was on the wear indicators so also needed changing immediately.

They quoted me £650 for 4 near tyres fully fitted. These were to replace like for like with the Michelin Pro Sport 4 Acoustic. I decided to go for it as I was seeing online quotes from Black Circles for £208 each.

Firstly I am shocked at having to change 4 tyres at only 17.5k miles!! I drive mostly around town these days and I only occasionally have the temptation to be heavy footed!

Does that sound like a reasonable price? I also paid £45 to have the front tracking corrected. KwikFit initially stated I would have to take the car to Tesla to have the tracking adjusted due to camera alignment having to be recalibrated by Tesla. A quick phone to Tesla confirmed that isn't the case!

Attachments

• Front.jpeg
    Front.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 809
  • Front.jpeg
    Front.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 84
Unfortunately if the tracking is out then this can lead to uneven wear and earlier than expected tyre replacement. Given the state of roads these days and the number of potholes, it would be surprising if the tracking was not out of alignment.

Reactions: ElijahEVMan
£650 for all 4 tyres, Michelin, fitted, seems like an acceptable price to me.
You could probably have had a slightly cheaper deal by ordering new tyres when you first noticed the uneven wear instead of being stuck at the shop with illegal tires but not by a lot.
I guess you'll be left wondering if the car was delivered to you out of alignement or if indeed you did it yourself with a curb or a pothole...

£650 for all 4 tyres, Michelin, fitted, seems like an acceptable price to me.
You could probably have had a slightly cheaper deal by ordering new tyres when you first noticed the uneven wear instead of being stuck at the shop with illegal tires but not by a lot.
I guess you'll be left wondering if the car was delivered to you out of alignement or if indeed you did it yourself with a curb or a pothole...
Yes thats a good point actually. Must have been like it for some time considering how badly warn they were on that inside edge! However too late to do anything about it now and will just have to keep a closer eye out for this from now on.

Firstly I am shocked at having to change 4 tyres at only 17.5k miles!! I drive mostly around town these days and I only occasionally have the temptation to be heavy footed!

Looking at those tyres they look like they have quite a decent depth on them (apart from the inside edge) and I am wondering how many miles you would have got out of them if the tyres had worn evenly?

Looking at those tyres they look like they have quite a decent depth on them (apart from the inside edge) and I am wondering how many miles you would have got out of them if the tyres had worn evenly?
Yes that was my thought too. Given the car is all wheel drive, I was surprised that the rears had warn as much as that in so little time. However, I mentioned that to Tesla and they confirmed that the car engages only the rear motor for the majority of the time, especially when driving around town.

Mine too, Tesla Model 3 SR+ with 24k miles from new, and only noticed due to parking at full lock:
right.jpg
left.jpg

In fact the rears are due too, although harder to see it looks more evenly worn. Anyway, time for a full set of tyres, and this time all season ones.

There was another thread about a Model 3 with excessive uneven wear on the inside of the front tyres - Check your front tyres today!

Last edited:
I did resurrect an old thread so prices will have changed. Looks like you got more miles out of your tyres than me, but again uneven wear on the fronts. Seems could be quite common?
Bigger tyres on mine, but the last set of summer Michelin Latitude Sport 3's I bought were around £1K fitted. So even accounting for inflation the OP & @DenkiJidousha sub £700 fitted for Mich rubber on an M3 I think is good going.

I would say find yourself a decent indy tyre shop, that has a Hunter Hawk-Eye alignment rig and get the camber, caster and toe alignment properly set when you get the new tyres fitted and again at least halfway through the mileage you got on your last set of tyres.

Reactions: MrT3
I also paid £45 to have the front tracking corrected. KwikFit initially stated I would have to take the car to Tesla to have the tracking adjusted due to camera alignment having to be recalibrated by Tesla. A quick phone to Tesla confirmed that isn't the case!
Just the toe-in alignment? You wear looks more like a camber alignment issue. I would get a full geometry check done.

Amazing the variation on here. I just got all 4 changed on my Model 3 LR at 25k miles. Almost perfectly even wear, less than 1mm difference between outer and inner.

Did get the full tracking done afterwards anyway and there were a few adjustments but nothing too drastic.

That said I wasn't completely confident in the guy doing the tracking so need to watch the new set like a hawk incase he's made it worse.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha