Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I done the right thing? New LR vs s/h Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Yeah the limitations of a test drive I guess.... you only really get a feel for a car after a few thousand miles in my opinion.

This is true. Especially with 400+ hp cars! Ultimately you can't really explore the true handling limits of any of these cars on a public road. You can take advantage of the traction out off slow corners and squirt them in a straight line - both of which are top notch in the Model 3. It does feel a little heavy on the brakes (because it is), but turns in quite nicely and the steering is ultra-direct and accurate. You can get back on the power with confidence very early too. Ride and handling of the LR is actually nicely balanced for fast road driving. It's not a harsh ride and body control is pretty decent.

Sure, I agree with that. They are different beasts.

The 3LR certainly felt quicker.. but it's going to due to that instant torque and power, whereas the 3.0L V6 does take time to spool up!

So yes 0-60 I'm sure the 3LR would win... into silly speeds the legs of the V6 would then take over...

But the standard brakes and handling on the S4 are definitely better.

Setting aside ultimate track driving there are aspects of the Tesla drive train "performance" that are a delight on every drive. I'm referring to the simple requirements of joining traffic from a junction or on a roundabout or from a slip road ... you press the pedal ... you've leaped into your chosen slot! No worries about turbos spinning up or lazy traction control or auto start or how much to slip the clutch it's so easy and so positive ... press and go, brilliant!

Mine’s an LR and it’s plenty quick enough. Plus the range is better.
It won’t disappoint. Most other cars end up in the rear view mirror :p
This is a good point. I love my performance and I'm one of these sad people who likes having top spec gear. However I use the "red underline" portion of the car about 0.2% of the time. A LR isn't exactly slow, it's more comfortable, and you'll spend slightly less time at a charger.

I went for the performance and whilst I don’t regret the decision at the time when incentives were equal, I’d go for the LR now. I came from an M4 so also used to performance cars. The LR with performance boost will be fabulous and better value. I prefer the ride of mine on its winter 19” over the standard 20”.
New LR lease is an excellent choice. Congratulations

You and everyone on here knows the answer to your question, if you buy the performance you will always be glad you did, if you buy the LR you will always look with envy at every performance than goes past you and wish you had listened to your heart instead of being a tightwad.

You and everyone on here knows the answer to your question, if you buy the performance you will always be glad you did, if you buy the LR you will always look with envy at every performance than goes past you and wish you had listened to your heart instead of being a tightwad.
I’m more than happy to be not quite as quick in my LR. It’s a nice change to see the back of another car once in a while :p

Nah, I just think about how I’m going to spend the money I saved and how much I actually prefer the more practical wheel size. I would make the same choice again, especially now the P is even more expensive and the LR is already silly quick anyway.

Nah, I just think about how I’m going to spend the money I saved and how much I actually prefer the more practical wheel size. I would make the same choice again, especially now the P is even more expensive and the LR is already silly quick anyway.
I completely agree, I bought LR because didn't want to spend that much more money to get the low 0-60, LR is more than quick enough for me. Once you get 0-60 of around 4sec, that's quick.
Also i live on a farm and drive a lot of country lanes, so super thin walled tyres and stiff low suspension is not good for me.
I'll just end up with damaged rims and possible suspension problems.
I also love the aero wheel trims, strange as most others don't seem to, lol.

I went for the performance and whilst I don’t regret the decision at the time when incentives were equal, I’d go for the LR now. I came from an M4 so also used to performance cars. The LR with performance boost will be fabulous and better value. I prefer the ride of mine on its winter 19” over the standard 20”.
New LR lease is an excellent choice. Congratulations
I hear you on the 19's - they are a great compromise and I wasn't sure if 20's are a bit much for UK roads.

I also love the aero wheel trims, strange as most others don't seem to, lol.

Me too. I thought the original Performance wheels looked a bit ordinary. Same goes for the 19”. The Aeros are more unique and go well with the low key, high tech look. Plus they are super easy to clean and still look good when they are dirty.

I do however really like the look of the new Uberturbines, but don’t want ultra-low profile tyres with high risk of pothole damage/punctures, more road noise and less compliant ride. Just too many negatives with those wheels/tyres.

Reactions: akenham
I would go for LR if I was you and buy the performance upgrade if it doesn’t freak out your insurance company.

I feel very lucky that I found a P- in inventory back in the day as it is exactly what I would have spec’d if it had been possible - I’ve had too many cars with 20” wheels and regretted them due to ride quality - especially the BMWs with runflats. I’ll be putting a deposit on a LR Y when it’s possible.

Moderator comment - thread amended for clarity

Just ordered a 3LR on company lease, delivery June.

Looking forward to my first Tesla!

But have I done the right thing?
My mind is now wandering to a used P on Autotrader... Prices look reasonable for a one year old with min miles, still with warranty. I've always had fast cars, currently in an Audi S4 with 410hp...

So a new 2021 3LR on lease?
Or a 2020 3P second hand? More power, better brakes, bigger wheels....
Congratulations on your first Tesla. You will be fine with the LR stock with its instant power. with acceleration boost it's as fast as the original 3P