Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I locked in a price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I put down the $100 deposit for a dual motor a day after the unveil. Today I was perusing the website and looked at my order. There is no mention of any price. I can hit the order button and see a dual-motor is $49,900. I don't even recall if that was the price when I sent the deposit. Is there some document floating out there that shows what price I locked in, or is it subject to whatever Tesla decides to charge in the coming year(s) prior to delivery? This is my first Tesla experience so I am not familiar with the whole ordering process.

• Funny
Reactions: GOVA
You haven't locked in any specific price. When you make a reservation for a Tesla, you will eventually be sent to an order page (once they start production) where you can choose your specifications and review the price. When you get that order page depends on how early you reserved. In other words you did not reserve a car, you reserved the ability to order your car early.

The FSD price is locked, if you selected it. From the web site:

Selecting Full Self-Driving today will secure your price as it increases in the future.

But the pre-order agreement says this:

Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change. Any pre-order price listed in the Vehicle Configuration will not include taxes and official or government fees, which could amount to up to 10% or more of the Vehicle pre-order price. Because these taxes and fees are constantly changing and will depend on many factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they will be calculated closer to the time of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet.

So no, the price is not locked in. (Though Tesla has honored the prices with the Model Y, but it was handled differently in that you submitted a fully configured pre-order, and if you changed anything it got re-priced to what they currently offer.)

So no, the price is not locked in. (Though Tesla has honored the prices with the Model Y, but it was handled differently in that you submitted a fully configured pre-order, and if you changed anything it got re-priced to what they currently offer.)

The difference is for the Model Y, it was a true $2,500 pre-order (not a $100 reservation).

Edit: Took a closer look at my Cybertruck Pre-Order Agreement. The $100 is for the agreement to pre-order the truck (and not a pre-order of the truck).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cbo111
All prices are subject to change. For example after I ordered my Model 3 the price was lowered for some options. I originally agreed to a price and final price was actually lower. With that being said your truck could still change in price and we will not know until it gets closer.

I assume it’s an assurance that you will be able to get a CT with the specifications given (500/<2.9/14000/FSD/etc) at/under the price agreed to ($77000). There very well be upgrades available (upholstery type/color, tire efficiency, towing kit, 750 mile, etc) which may or may not cost more.

The only locked in price is FSD. From my understanding a lot can change in price between now and 2021 As far as color option, Elon has confirmed only one color will be available. Silver. You will be able to wrap the car in any color you want, but only one actual color.

For truck owners, Tesla may keep everything as is, making it a cheep and simple order process. Everything else may be an accessory that can be purchased after. This is a significantly different buyers market than the Model X, S, 3 and the Y.

I do believe that the estimated range numbers on the website will be significantly different close to release. The Single Motor may go to 300. The Dual Motor will be ~400-450. The Tri-Motor will be ~600-700.

Reactions: themorey
Wow, looks like you can’t lock in the FSD price right now anymore either

And it the description it says up to 500 miles range…I know they used to advertise 500+ for the tri motor, but not sure if the up to 500 language was in the general description before

Wow, looks like you can’t lock in the FSD price right now anymore either

And it the description it says up to 500 miles range…I know they used to advertise 500+ for the tri motor, but not sure if the up to 500 language was in the general description before
All of the specs are gone, even the fact that there will be three configurations.