Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I locked in a price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you please tell me… when Tesla has **EVER** not honored pre-order pricing?

Youre confusing Pre-order with Reservation. Two different things. I still don’t understand why you think the CT pricing is going to stay the same given the supply and economic situation. Tesla keeps jacking up the price of all their vehicles but somehow the CT is immune.

Reactions: raptor5244
There are 2 ideas getting commingled here.

The first is fairly reasonable: Tesla is going to increase prices inline with price increases on the other vehicles. So a ~10% increase across the board.

The second is just bonkers: Either through malice or stupidity, the Cybertruck was mis-priced from the start by 10s of thousands of dollars.

This second argument implies either gross incompetence or a pretty underhanded bit of nastiness. Neither of which Tesla has exhibited in the past.

Now if people could just prefix their comments about which theory they subscribe to with the phrase “Reasonable Price Increase Argument” or the phrase “Musk is corrupt and incompetent” then we will all know how to file the comments appropriately.

The first is fairly reasonable: Tesla is going to increase prices inline with price increases on the other vehicles. So a ~10% increase across the board.

The second is just bonkers: Either through malice or stupidity, the Cybertruck was mis-priced from the start by 10s of thousands of dollars.

This second argument implies either gross incompetence or a pretty underhanded bit of nastiness. Neither of which Tesla has exhibited in the past.

Now if people could just prefix their comments about which theory they subscribe to with the phrase “Reasonable Price Increase Argument” or the phrase “Musk is corrupt and incompetent” then we will all know how to file the comments appropriately.
I’m just gonna accept that your clueless and move on

I don’t see why adjusting the price by $10k is bonkers. Tesla isn’t stupid, they see what GM is selling for, Rivian and the Lightning. They never promised a truck for the masses, so they have no obligation to keep prices low. They are offering all kind of extras that competitors are not offering. I mean do we really expect to have a CT start below the price of a Model 3 SR+? The Dual Motor start below the Price of Model Y Dual Motor? Doesn’t make any sense

Sidebar:
I feel as though the "delay" is going to give us more value (gidget gadgets like V2H) so I am willing to have the price go up if that happens. And I think some of the cool things Rivian and Ford showed in their trucks had Tesla wanting to put more in their first cyber(nota)trucks.
That flat-floored frunk on the Ford looks so much more user-friendly and usable for more than just a hole to put stuff in..

Reactions: T3SLAROD and Ogre
Sidebar:
I feel as though the "delay" is going to give us more value (gidget gadgets like V2H) so I am willing to have the price go up if that happens. And I think some of the cool things Rivian and Ford showed in their trucks had Tesla wanting to put more in their first cyber(nota)trucks.
That flat-floored frunk on the Ford looks so much more user-friendly and usable for more than just a hole to put stuff in..

I do think added features would make any reasonable price run up a lot more palatable and forgivable. Particularly if range was significantly better than previous estimates. Even just announced bits, a lot of people put some non-zero value to 4 wheel steering.

But people pre-ordered a truck which is marketed as the F150 killer at an F150 killer price. That is what people are expecting.

I do think added features would make any reasonable price run up a lot more palatable and forgivable. Particularly if range was significantly better than previous estimates. Even just announced bits, a lot of people put some non-zero value to 4 wheel steering.

But people pre-ordered a truck which is marketed as the F150 killer at an F150 killer price. That is what people are expecting.
I am pretty sure it will be an "F-150 price" cuz trucks are getting pricey.

The only way Tesla would sell the CT at those original advertised prices is if they could meet demand. That has all changed now so expect the prices to go up, probably quite a bit. I would expect a $10k increase across the board.

A $10k increase is hefty no doubt, but what other EV truck can you purchase for less or any full size truck for that matter? Silverados, F-150s, Dodge Rams, Toyota Tundras all cost $50k+ and easily get over $60k when you add some options to them. Even when GM announces the SilvErado, do you think it is going to cost less than their existing ICE based Silverados? The prices are not going down just because they are electric. It is simple economics. Tesla says they have over 1M of these reservations and then they do the math and say damn, we can realistically only manufacture 100k of these per year, time to raise the price and people will still pay it. Once supply returns to normal and all the folks that wanted on really bad bought one then we may see the price drop to competitive levels depending on what the competition has to offer.

Now if I am wrong and the keep the price where it is, it won't matter anyway since it will probably take 3-4 years before they get to my reservation number. ;)

I'd still buy it even if they bump the price at 10%, that would put the Dual motor CT at (what's 49,900 + 10% = too much money🤣🤣 j/k) it would be about $54,900, (54,890) if want to be on the exact dollar amount. So, at $55k ish, the CT is still reasonably and comparably price with it's ICE truck counterparts and Lordstown's Endurance truck (whenever they decide to produce) and much lower than the Rivian.

I'd still buy it even if they bump the price at 10%, that would put the Dual motor CT at (what's 49,900 + 10% = too much money🤣🤣 j/k) it would be about $54,900, (54,890) if want to be on the exact dollar amount. So, at $55k ish, the CT is still reasonably and comparably price with it's ICE truck counterparts and Lordstown's Endurance truck (whenever they decide to produce) and much lower than the Rivian.
As I said above, something like a 10% increase is somewhat reasonable, it’s in line with existing Tesla price increases and still a good value. People on this thread were suggesting the dual motor CT would end up costing $80k and the tri-motor would be $120k. That’s a 60% and 70% price increase respectively.

As I said above, something like a 10% increase is somewhat reasonable, it’s in line with existing Tesla price increases and still a good value. People on this thread were suggesting the dual motor CT would end up costing $80k and the tri-motor would be $120k. That’s a 60% and 70% price increase respectively.
if the dual motor with ~300 miles of range CT costs around $55k ... then it competes head-head with the 300 miles F150 Lightning more desirable Lariat trim ... with tax incentives for the Lightning. Not exactly a slam dunk "F150 killer" at that price point anymore

Reactions: T3SLAROD
if the dual motor with ~300 miles of range CT costs around $55k ... then it competes head-head with the 300 miles F150 Lightning more desirable Lariat trim ... with tax incentives for the Lightning. Not exactly a slam dunk "F150 killer" at that price point anymore
To be clear, I‘m not sold on this idea that price increases are inevitable. The whole point was to make a truck that is going to move people off of ICE.

Tesla pushed hard that this was competing with the F150… not the Lightning, the ICE version.

You can buy an F150 4WD Supercab for $45k. At $50k the AWD Cybertruck is super appealing against ICE. Much north of that, you only get the buyers who are willing to pay a premium for EVs or people who want a “Premium“ truck. Big difference in buyer demographics.

Edit: And if you don’t think the ICE F150 is the target, you should go back and watch the launch video where they compare the price & operating costs of the Cybertruck to the ICE F150. The entire video, front to back is comparing it to the F150.

Last edited:
To be clear, I‘m not sold on this idea that price increases are inevitable. The whole point was to make a truck that is going to move people off of ICE.

Tesla pushed hard that this was competing with the F150… not the Lightning, the ICE version.

You can buy an F150 4WD Supercab for $45k. At $50k the AWD Cybertruck is super appealing against ICE. Much north of that, you only get the buyers who are willing to pay a premium for EVs or people who want a “Premium“ truck. Big difference in buyer demographics.

Edit: And if you don’t think the ICE F150 is the target, you should go back and watch the launch video where they compare the price & operating costs of the Cybertruck to the ICE F150. The entire video, front to back is comparing it to the F150.
I agree. I would cancel my order if the price increases higher than when I reserved it, just on principle. I had a Tundra and planning to buy the new 2022 hybrid TRD Pro. We currently have 3 Teslas in the family and so I am certainly a fan, but not enough to buy into a bait and switch.

Reactions: Ogre
Can't say I've ever bothered reading this before, but the order agreement has this in it.
Seems pretty sure that any prices are estimates only.
Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change.