Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have never charged to 100%. Should I?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may have done a lot of research but probably not as much as Tesla has. Trying to keep the battery near 50% is both impractical and unnecessary. Ten years of data from Tesla EVs shows there isn't substantial degradation of the battery no matter how you charge it. While there may be a statistically significant difference, the magnitude is not of practical importance. If a difference of few miles of range after many years really matters to you, then you probably bought the wrong car.
Agreed. The engineers at Tesla are much smarter than I am about batteries. But dendrites form more quickly at high charge levels and in high heat. That's just a reality of lithium batteries and that's what wears a battery out. I trust that they have done a LOT of work to minimize this downside but the issue is still there.

I don't stress about it but if it doesn't inconvenience me then I'll try have good habits. Some guys spend thousands on a wrap to preserve their paint. I charge to 70% nightly to preserve my battery. Each case is overkill to some and essential to others.

And... I ABSOLUTELY bought the right car. I love this thing!