Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have ordered - but interior concerns..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only accept genuine Corinthian leather endorsed by Ricardo Montalbán himself.
I know this is a joke and you probably knew this already, but since I recently learned this fact . . . figured I would share for others to be educated.

Corinthian leather is not an actual type of leather at all, it is a marketing term

It was, in fact, branded by Chrysler and actually was endorsed by Ricardo Montalban (as you stated). It's just regular leather that is tufted.

Up until recently, I always thought it was some special leather used in cars back in the day. I guess I'm a sucker for good marketing.

I know this is a joke and you probably knew this already, but since I recently learned this fact . . . figured I would share for others to be educated.

Corinthian leather is not an actual type of leather at all, it is a marketing term

It was, in fact, branded by Chrysler and actually was endorsed by Ricardo Montalban (as you stated). It's just regular leather that is tufted.

Up until recently, I always thought it was some special leather used in cars back in the day. I guess I'm a sucker for good marketing.

Oh. I thought it was actually made from Ricardo Montalban.

that’s disappointing!

Then they should use cloth and only cloth for the interior instead of vinyl. If they were all about the environment they wouldn't launch rockets into space, How many barrels of oil does it take to make the rocket fuel that is used to launch Musk's spaceships. Musk plans to send a SpaceX rocket to Mars, with cargo only, by 2022, according to the SpaceX website. A second mission, which would take more cargo and crew, is targeted for 2024. Musk has also said he'll send a million people to Mars by 2050.
You had me at "Then they should use cloth and only cloth for the interior instead of vinyl." And then it went down hill from there. Last I checked, rocket fuel is not made from "barrels of oil". But whatever.....

To the OP - There area plenty of aftermarket solutions to poor seat material. Look at NYC cabbies with those wood beaded seat covers for an example.

For a truck, I prefer less is more. I don't need leather in my truck to worry about. Cloth or some durable vinyl-like material(if not actual vinyl) is perfect for my purposes. I should not care if I sat in the seat without remembering that screwdriver in my back pocket. Or that I need to think twice about where to throw my muddy work gloves (I'll just throw them on the passenger seat like I always do).
For that matter, give me a BENCH SEAT option. Make it cloth! That would be perfect. And separate the users form the posers.
Or how about a "Luxury" interior, for all of us "city dweller Raptor refugees" and a "commercial" interior for all of us "Cattle hand Rancher types"- so we can all have what we want - Elon did say the truck was intended for serious work, so I expect it will be tough enough to support that statement.

Reactions: BayAreaCelt
The petroleum used as rocket fuel is a type of highly refined kerosene, called RP-1 in the United States. Petroleum fuels are usually used in combination with liquid oxygen as the oxidizer. So I'm wrong is that correct.

Not necessarily wrong, it depends on the rocket. Solid boosters don't use petroleum at all. Liquid rocket fuel can be made from petroleum, but what comes to mind frequently are liquid hydrogen based.

Spacex's Falcons' (older) use RP-1 - a kerosene based fuel, as you accurately ascribe
However, the current Starship and Super heavy, based on Raptor engines, do not.

I guess my point is that we don't need petroleum fuels to get us to space(anymore).

You can replace the seats with aftermarket. Seats aren’t that complicated.

You can also replace with a real leather aftermarket kit which should eventually be available or goto a professional shop and have them use the existing stock fake leather as a template to make you some real ones and replace the stock ones.

Neither are going to be cheap or simple plug and play But doable if you really have to have real leather at any cost.

Last edited:
Beliefs are hard to change. I went through 4 different real leather couches over 10 years all destroyed by pets and kids, convinced of REAL leathers "toughness". After finally switching to a faux leather I've had now for 7 years that still looks good as new. Material Science has been quietly working away in the background since your beliefs were formed.

Most people have no real understanding of leather. Just because they see “real leather”, “genuine leather”, “100% leather” which means little to nothing. The best and most durable leather is “saddle” leather and that’s not what most people think of, prefer, or are willing to accept.

Even at that it depends of what animal, which location, thickness, process used, etc. and then you still need to properly care for it with clean, strip, condition.

Durable, quality leather isn’t cheap or maintenance free.

Most people just see “bonded leather” and think wow leather, and at that price. Bonded being almost the worst “leather” you can get, though rarely used for cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
I'm more worried about the paper dash... that looks like it has no glove box... or any functional purpose other than being a big slab of paper to hide the HVAC and wiring. It even looks like it has pointed edges? How that gonna feel if your face or other body parts run into it during a collision?

Not necessarily wrong, it depends on the rocket. Solid boosters don't use petroleum at all. Liquid rocket fuel can be made from petroleum, but what comes to mind frequently are liquid hydrogen based.

Spacex's Falcons' (older) use RP-1 - a kerosene based fuel, as you accurately ascribe
However, the current Starship and Super heavy, based on Raptor engines, do not.

I guess my point is that we don't need petroleum fuels to get us to space(anymore).
Uhhhhh... Hydrogen and methane come from fossil fuels. LOX is harvested from the air using a crap ton of electricity that almost entirely comes from fossil fuels.

Elon Musk doesn't give 2 f*cks about the environment. The man commutes on a Gulfstream. His carbon footprint is ENORMOUS.

Reactions: alexgr
Uhhhhh... Hydrogen and methane come from fossil fuels. LOX is harvested from the air using a crap ton of electricity that almost entirely comes from fossil fuels.

Elon Musk doesn't give 2 f*cks about the environment. The man commutes on a Gulfstream. His carbon footprint is ENORMOUS.

Would you prefer he go to other places via sailboat? I’m sure that would help with getting things done faster to build more cars to offset his footprint.