Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have ordered - but interior concerns..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you prefer he go to other places via sailboat? I’m sure that would help with getting things done faster to build more cars to offset his footprint.
Well he could majorly limit his air travel, and fly commercial. He doesn’t NEED to fly Fremont to LA also doesn't NEED to leisure travel around the globe he doesn't NEED a private jet....

Reactions: strider
We don’t “need” 99.9999% of what we have.
So, I guess, Tesla doesn't make it fit within 0.0001%.
Also, Tesla cars have excessive unnecessary acceleration that converts [petroleum based] tires into environmental disaster much more effectively than most ICE cars.

Regarding the interior, I am less concerned about aesthetics of it and more about convenience and functionality. That white board is stupid because it will likely reflect sunlight. I opted out of white Tesla interior because of the reflective white dashboard in M3. I was test driving in bright sun, and the dash blinded me several times. I think CT's dashboard will be equally destructive if it remains bright white.
How about a cork dashboard ... I could use push pins on it.

Also, Tesla cars have excessive unnecessary acceleration that converts [petroleum based] tires into environmental disaster much more effectively than most ICE cars.

Regarding the interior, I am less concerned about aesthetics of it and more about convenience and functionality. That white board is stupid because it will likely reflect sunlight. I opted out of white Tesla interior because of the reflective white dashboard in M3. I was test driving in bright sun, and the dash blinded me several times. I think CT's dashboard will be equally destructive if it remains bright white.

I’ll take ground up tires with less brake dust and tailpipe pollution. And if people (like me after punching it a lot on the first set) choose to extend their tire life, they can drive a bit more calmly. Besides, many ice sports cars and trucks like to show off by spinning tires while pumping out massive amounts of exhaust. I have also been coal rolled a few times by pickups.

As far as the dash, I’m sure someone would come out with a wrap.

Hadn't considered the reflection off the white dash... Glad you shared that because I have always been set on white interior if I bought a new Tesla..

I get tour point, Well the question was in the content of being mindful about ones carbon footprint. And flying all over the place on a private jet vs driving an EV or flying commercial is a much larger carbon footprint, needlessly.
Pretty naive argument when you consider this guy is running 4 companies simultaneously. All with immediate issues needing to be addressed at any given time. He does the best he can with what is available to most efficiently adress concerns and thus most effectively bring his companies visions to fruition.

I think he has earned a little slack from those who have never walked a step in his shoes.

Dan

Reactions: SO16 and X Fan
Pretty naive argument when you consider this guy is running 4 companies simultaneously. All with immediate issues needing to be addressed at any given time. He does the best he can with what is available to most efficiently adress concerns and thus most effectively bring his companies visions to fruition.

I think he has earned a little slack from those who have never walked a step in his shoes.

Dan
He needs to learn to delegate, not micromanage, hire good people and trust them to do their job. I’ve been working 24/7 since March, I guarantee I’ve worked at least as much as Elon in that time, overseeing much more critical functions then his companies. I Oversee multiple states and haven’t flown once. I’ve driven 15k miles (almost 12k of those in a Tesla in that time for work to avoid air travel and the infection risk associated with.

Also he could vacation locally in CA instead of flying around the world.

He needs to learn to delegate, not micromanage, hire good people and trust them to do their job. I’ve been working 24/7 since March, I guarantee I’ve worked at least as much as Elon in that time, overseeing much more critical functions then his companies. I Oversee multiple states and haven’t flown once. I’ve driven 15k miles (almost 12k of those in a Tesla in that time for work to avoid air travel and the infection risk associated with.

Also he could vacation locally in CA instead of flying around the world.
Good for you. Next time you're needed in Shanghai, Berlin, Fremont, Austin, Cape Canaveral, and God knows where else his business dealings take him, all in the same week...you're our guy.

His companies are successful because he choses not to widely delegate, so...I would suggest a little less time on your soap box and a little more time trying to understand just why this man has been so successful in his business practices.

Dan

Uhhhhh... Hydrogen and methane come from fossil fuels. LOX is harvested from the air using a crap ton of electricity that almost entirely comes from fossil fuels.

Elon Musk doesn't give 2 f*cks about the environment. The man commutes on a Gulfstream. His carbon footprint is ENORMOUS.
How do you calculate the carbon “footprint” of someone who is responsible for making 2000 electric cars a day? A single days production offsets all of his footprint. If Elon did not build Tesla, the left would have been never upgraded and eventually canceled. The auto companies would have claimed electrification was not possible. So you could calculate his footprint as most of the carbon savings of the entire industry.

How do you calculate the carbon “footprint” of someone who is responsible for making 2000 electric cars a day? A single days production offsets all of his footprint. If Elon did not build Tesla, the left would have been never upgraded and eventually canceled. The auto companies would have claimed electrification was not possible. So you could calculate his footprint as most of the carbon savings of the entire industry.
Uhhhh.... Elon is not making 2,000 electric cars a day. Elon has never made anything in his life, except for some lines of computer code when he was younger. Now all he does is consume. You present a Hobson's choice which says that Elon can be a polluting a-hole in order to "save the world". That is BS. He can "save the world" while also conserving, as the rest of us are doing. Those of us who actually care about the environment do what we can to conserve. Can we do more? Of course. I certainly live a comfortable life. My point is that there is a middle path here.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and coleAK
Uhhhh.... Elon is not making 2,000 electric cars a day. Elon has never made anything in his life, except for some lines of computer code when he was younger. Now all he does is consume. You present a Hobson's choice which says that Elon can be a polluting a-hole in order to "save the world". That is BS. He can "save the world" while also conserving, as the rest of us are doing. Those of us who actually care about the environment do what we can to conserve. Can we do more? Of course. I certainly live a comfortable life. My point is that there is a middle path here.
Wow...just wow.

That's some serious self righteous BS right there. Congratulations, you just graduated to the head of the "man, you need some serious professional help" class.

Dan

Reactions: kayak1

Well, Elon has been managing some development processes at Tesla and SpaceX and making decisions on what to do next. So, he was working. It seems, by the way, he is one of few really working billionaires.

That said, I don't believe anyone as wealthy as Elon gives a $hit about environment or anything of that sort if that stands in a way of their (tunnel) vision.

you can go straight to 2:30

Reactions: kayak1 and coleAK
I love all these “armchair CEO’s” on this thread. I can’t wait to buy their products and invest in their companies if they are better than Elon’s companies. Please let me know the stock ticker symbol.

Elon keeps talking about an electric jet. Maybe one day he can do it.

As far as Elon having more time if he didn’t micromanage...well I don’t know of very many people with so many different companies. He must be doing some delegation. And yes, I think he should be given slack for using a jet. His time is extremely valuable and is being offset by the positive his companies do. It seems the vast majority of his flights are work related. I’d take that over anyone that may choose to fly coach but not do anything even remotely as positively influential. As most things, take the good with the bad (take in aggregate). If overall good, then good.

Jets, cars, rockets ... they're all tools. Use what gets the job done better (emissions included but not dominant). Elon's rockets & cars are better for many/most applications, so use them where appropriate. There simply aren't any electric jets, so don't demean him for not using what doesn't exist. Electric airplanes are a thing, but are in early stages of viability; Musk's advancing battery tech will help bring us to electric jets eventually.

For those criticizing Musk for flying oil-powered jets: how many kWh needed to fly 1 passenger 1 mile?

Reactions: kayak1