Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have phone on me, asks for key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2C. Sometimes bluetooth on the phone will "sleep" if you have a bunch of notifications or apps running in the background. It happens on my G6 if I for example get bunch of youtube notifications, car will ask for a card when trying to drive or won't unlock doors, its pretty random. Hope this helps.

Android can decide to put long running apps to sleep to avoid draining batteries. On my note10+, I whitelisted the tesla app so it never gets put to sleep. This allowed the car to always see the phone. Otherwise I'd need to load the app manually to get access to the vehicle once the app is put to sleep.

Reactions: fparent
Sometimes my iPhone 11 Pro Max does this. I will approach the car and the door won't unlock. If I give it a few seconds, it will work and let me in. Mostly has happened after the car has been parked for a longer period of time.

I'm using an Android myself. Never had an issue until I did a force close on the app. Opened the app back up and all worked well. Like some said. Bluetooth has a problem going through the body so if it is in the hop pocket, that may be an issue.

I'm having the same issue. If I open the App then the iPhone connects and the door opens. I'll have to try it with the App open in the background. Strange as it only happens in the morning after an evening of charging. During the day, running errands, it works just fine.

I have the same issue and the fix is just to leave the Tesla app open on your phone at all times and it will always unlock.

I had a habit of force closing my apps and once I stopped doing that it worked every time.

This happens to me about once ever 2 weeks. iPhone 11pro max. phone in front pocket. If i pull the phone out and tilt it up to wake the screen, then the door will open. My guess is tesla app has gone inactive in background, or maybe bluetooth is sleeping.

Anyone else have this experience? Phone in my pocket, pull handle... demands the key card. Once I get in the car I can get rollig with the key card in my pocket though.
I have an IPhone 6+ and my wife has an IPhone 10. One day she could not get in the Y unless she entered my email and password. On other days, I could not get into the car and had to use the key card. Very frustrating.

I've only had the car a week, but generally have found the phone key kind of baffling and infuriating. We have 2 Teslas in our account, and the only way the phone key works if you you're "swiped" to the one you want to open. If the app is on the other car, the Y won't open. It also seems to take forever, so you're sitting by the door waiting for it to recognize the phone, which it does eventually (is it waking up?).

I gave up and got a key fob. Problem solved. Works perfectly and reliably. I kind of wanted to be able to easily open the trunk, and not having to deal with the phone key not working is a huge bonus.

My car finds my wife’s phone key more than mine and she hasn’t driven the car in several weeks. Aside from removing her iPhone as a Key I don’t know what else I can do. Only Tesla can over engineer a process that has all but been perfected. Am thinking of buying a fob.

Recently my car has started asking for a key card AFTER it has let me in via my phone (Pixel 3). Doesn't happen all the time, and I never have any problems getting into the car, but it is a hassle having to dig my phone out of my pocket and initiate the app or cycle blue tooth to get the car into gear. Intermittent and very recent.