Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have phone on me, asks for key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, working perfectly (the one for Model 3 and Model Y).
Same here. Phone key was kind of spotty and annoying: it would somehow remain connected to the vehicle when I was in the house, but when I'd want to actually get in the car it couldn't see it.

I got sick of standing by my door everywhere I went trying to get it to recognize my phone (iPhone XS Max). Worse, if you have two Teslas, it appears to only work if you've selected the Model Y in the app. If you left the app on your other vehicle, it won't work at all.

Switched to a key fob, and it's working great. The range seems to be a little less than on my S, but otherwise working flawlessly.

This is happening to me also. Recently when I get in the car it lets me in with my phone, but asks for the card key every time. It has never done this before??
If it is unlocking the door with your phone, then not allowing that phone to "start", that is strange and is not something that has been reported. Perhaps the car was not locked? Unlocking and starting should be the same mechanism, as far as access from the phone via bluetooth, so the description doesn't make sense.
Are you able to get the phone to work again? bluetooth off/on or airport mode on/off?

I have keep unlocked at home on but it requests the card key whether at home or on the road. The thing that made a difference is using the card key on the driver's pillar and then it does not ask again when I am inside. Still strange and unexplained.

I have keep unlocked at home on but it requests the card key whether at home or on the road. The thing that made a difference is using the card key on the driver's pillar and then it does not ask again when I am inside. Still strange and unexplained.

Are you sure it locks when walking away from the car? If you use the key card to start/unlock, and it never sees the phone, then mine does not lock when leaving the car when away from home. If the car doesn't recognize the phone is leaving the area, then it probably isn't locking the car, imo.

I think your Bluetooth/phone is not connecting to the car and therefore, it requests the key card. Then, once the key card is seen, and still does not see the phone, it requests the key card when needed.

I suggest forcing an access with the phone before using the key card to make sure it is recognized. Lock the car with key card, check if the phone is see by attempting to open the driver door. If no access is granted, try turning BT off/on, then try opening the car again.

Recently my car has started asking for a key card AFTER it has let me in via my phone (Pixel 3). Doesn't happen all the time, and I never have any problems getting into the car, but it is a hassle having to dig my phone out of my pocket and initiate the app or cycle blue tooth to get the car into gear. Intermittent and very recent.

I have a Pixel3 and it's worked flawlessly. Car always is unlocked when I get to it (I do keep it unlocked at home in the garage) and just goes. I have all notifications on and calendar & location permissions on (so basically everything). I haven't found it chewing up the battery. Not sure what the charge was this morning (I usually turn the phone off at night) but at maybe 15 hours later, I'm in the low 70%.

Are you sure it locks when walking away from the car? If you use the key card to start/unlock, and it never sees the phone, then mine does not lock when leaving the car when away from home. If the car doesn't recognize the phone is leaving the area, then it probably isn't locking the car, imo.

I think your Bluetooth/phone is not connecting to the car and therefore, it requests the key card. Then, once the key card is seen, and still does not see the phone, it requests the key card when needed.

I suggest forcing an access with the phone before using the key card to make sure it is recognized. Lock the car with key card, check if the phone is see by attempting to open the driver door. If no access is granted, try turning BT off/on, then try opening the car again.
When I took delivery, the advisor suggested a couple things. One was to turn on the beep that the car can emit when it 'walk-away' locks. I finally turned it off but I guess if I had some issues with unlocking, I'd turn it back on to make sure it is locking.

I have the phone on me, sometimes the app asks whether I really want to open the door. After I'm in and it has recognized my settings, it will still ask for the card to start. I have not found a consistent answer in the forum. Please help.

I have the phone on me, sometimes the app asks whether I really want to open the door. After I'm in and it has recognized my settings, it will still ask for the card to start. I have not found a consistent answer in the forum. Please help.
Adding details, the app states that Phone Key is "disconnected". Suggests turning Airplane Mode on and off. I did it and Phone Key is still "disconnected". (Galaxy 8).

I have a Pixel3 and it's worked flawlessly.
No issue since the last update. Goes into gear every time now. Off thread, how is your Pixel battery holding up? Spouse and I each have the Pixel 3. Hers has been perfect, the battery on my became so swollen that it blew the back of the phone off and then died--one month out of warranty. Was able to find a local guy to replace the battery for half of what Google Fi wanted to replace it. So far so good with the replacement battery. Interestingly, I now charge my car and my phone within the same parameters i.e. almost never over 80 percent or below 20.