Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have recently delivered Falcon Wings gotten better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't compare to minivan doors. The FWD alone cost more than the entire minivan. That is like comparing the space shuttle to a Cessna.

I dont think cost is a viable indicator of long term reliability. You could spend gazilion of dollars to develop something but if it's engineered poorly, it will still fail. But yeah, I dont think FWD could be compared to mini van doors - too many hinges in FWD

I dont think cost is a viable indicator of long term reliability. You could spend gazilion of dollars to develop something but if it's engineered poorly, it will still fail. But yeah, I dont think FWD could be compared to mini van doors - too many hinges in FWD
The point was the complexity of engineering of the FWDs is not comparible and shouldn't expect the same reliability hence space shuttle to Cessna comment.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
My MX is ten days old, and so far self-presenting doors and falcon wing doors have been flawless, without a single false negative. It's only been ten days, but the kids have been playing with them a lot, so they got some good use. Alignment is also perfect.

I've started to like the utility the doors provide with taking kids in and out (that is when they actually work -- my sensors still need calibrating/fixing and are scheduled for service next week). And my kids love them. When it's cold out they let a lot of heat out of the car. And the doors are very flashy -- a lot of stares, pictures being taken, etc. I'm still getting used to all the attention.

Ideas like the FWDs are what I love about Tesla. Investors are not always Elon's number one priority. In the long run, the amount of advertising the doors are doing could be far more valuable than the cost of engineering that went into them. The doors are totally not necessary but they are pretty awesome. I mean.. Tesla developed their own metal penetrating obstacle sensors. Brilliant. It's not always about the lowest hanging fruit for Tesla. They are really out there to make awesome products because PHYSICS says its possible. There are so many cool features and engineering challenges that they tackle -- the list is endless. Other auto manufacturers just don't foster that kind of innovative culture.

And after releasing the ModelXMas easter egg? I'm all yours, Elon.

This is discouraging because I don't have any interest in the FWD. It's the rest of the X that matters for me. Hate to think how much money I'm wasting on those doors.

They are actually incredibly useful in certain circumstances. Went to Big Bear last weekend, and the airbnb place had a notoriously narrow, uphill driveway. Any other SUV/CUV would have been a nightmare to load kids in and out of, if not impossible. There is no way the doors would have opened enough to allow us to strap a kid into a car seat. But the FWD made it a breeze.

Sure, you could get nearly the same with a minivan's sliding doors, but minivan.....

This is discouraging because I don't have any interest in the FWD. It's the rest of the X that matters for me. Hate to think how much money I'm wasting on those doors.
That's a ridiculous thing to write. The doors are a fundamental part of the Model-X design and cannot be replaced or singled-out. There will never be a Model-X without these fwd doors. This is not an option.

A week after delivery our driver side FWD makes an awful groaning noise when it opens all the way up. The passenger side is still silent. We met another couple at a Supercharger and both of their doors were making the same groaning noise.

Pretty embarrassing to show off the brand new car and having everyone ask "what is that awful noise"?

I would say Yes, definitely. I mentioned "umbrella mode" to my orientation person and he said "Oh, we don't have that any more." I have opened all doors in my garage and the respond appropriately to boundaries. Very impressed. I was very nervous after reading doors crashing into low ceilings. I believe that is an issue of the past.

My doors started groaning also.

RE: Door Issue..

Ranger came on site to diagnose my door sensors. Let me say first of all that he was very nice and I appreciate his effort. He was very enthusiastic about Tesla and spent a lot of time looking into the doors. Since he was unable to reproduce the issue outside, he ended up leaving with the conclusion that my doors/sensors were working 'normal' and that the failures were due to the 'environment' around the car.

However...

The day I first picked up the car it was warm in the service center. Didn't seem to have any issues with the doors. After I left I drove 60 miles+ during 0F outside. Doors failed the first time I opened them after I got back. And the doors failed very frequently during the first week (really cold temperatures) but seemed to work a little more reliably after having it in my heated garage for a while. Coincidentally, it was fairly nice outside when the ranger was on-site. Plus, the doors seem to be working much better recently in the warmer weather.

My wife and I have both had to force override the doors many times to get the kids in and out -- even when we parked with no cars around us!

On Christmas Eve, my in-laws watched my Model X fail the holiday easter egg show 5 times (moved the car 3 different times, all outside, with absolutely nothing near the car.

My garage has 6+ ft of clearance on each side of the car and 9 ft tall ceilings. The doors will fail occasionally in the garage when parked. Ranger concluded that outlets on my walls 6-9 feet away from the car (on both sides) are causing problems with the sensors in my doors while parked in the garage. Is that possible? It's not even close to the car!

I just don't buy it that my sensors are actually working properly. I'm really happy my doors are currently working well, but I'm afraid the problem is still there and when it gets cold again (or some other unknown variable changes) it will rear its ugly head once more...

Or perhaps, maybe when the ranger checked all the sensor connections it inadvertently fixed a loose wire....

A week after delivery our driver side FWD makes an awful groaning noise when it opens all the way up. The passenger side is still silent. We met another couple at a Supercharger and both of their doors were making the same groaning noise.

Pretty embarrassing to show off the brand new car and having everyone ask "what is that awful noise"?
One of my doors has started doing this. I might be going up to a store/service center next week to get a charging thing, at which point I'll grab someone to come out and listen to it. Will keep you posted if I learn anything.

I picked up my MX the Wednesday between Christmas and New Years. It was part of the design that bothered me. But after using it, I never want to go back. Doors work flawlessly everywhere. Elderly in laws, Dogs, People, Stuff, they just work. No issues whatsoever.