Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Software/Firmware Updates Improved Your Experience?

Have Software/Firmware upgrades improved your user experience with your car?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the "new features", like media additions and games, aren't important for me, but that's just me.

Some changes have degraded the experience, like "Play XYZ by ZYX" is no longer simply playing a try. Having to then mess with the screen is hazardous. It has made the formerly safe and wonderful music selection by voice command impractical.

Summon, as a subset of later FSD, is an important test platform, and overall impressive. Of limited routine use to me, no matter how well it performs. Additional creature comforts like driver profile selected by phone, are very nice to have.

But most significantly, the gradually improving maps, NOA, A/S, TACC, are essential.

The whole technique of over the air updates adds immense value to the car, so a loud YES.

Simple yes or no - please be honest
Yes, obviously. Over my nearly 6 years of Tesla ownership I have received probably dozens of firmware updates for the S, X,and 3 that I have had the pleasure to own. Even after all that time I remain amazed that I own cars that get better over time. Before my first Tesla, none of my previous cars did that.

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar
As a car, no.

As a media machine, yes.

Overall, I bought it and use it as a car, so it's a no from me.

Updates for the most part haven't really changed anything noticeable to me except the introduction of Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance. It fires too often for me (once per minute, average?) on unmarked roads. It doesn't like how close to the edge I go to give room for two vehicles to go by (especially since people tend to drive in the centre of the close by road like this). So it's actually gotten worse for me specifically.

Edit: The one update that I was happy to finally see was changing the driver setting based on key. This works properly less than I'd like it to, changing to my wife's setting instead even when she's over 10 feet away from the car with her key (phone) or even in the house and I'm opening the car outside.

Everyone has to agree the updates are looked forward to.

There are updates that have lessened the worthiness of self-driving that I am unhappy about. For some these changes seem a net plus, but I fondly remember no such thing as phantom braking or pretending to make an effort to use an exit. However, it is impossible for me to down judge the net outcomes of these updates, Its been to long and windy a road.

ABSOLUTELY

MANY MANY NEW FEATURES SINCE I GOT THE CAR LAST OCT BUT THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS TO ME IS AP
AUTOPILOT HAS DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED SINCE LAST OCT-- TRUST ME I USE IT 99% OF THE TIME
LAST OCT AUTO-VIPER WAS USELESS, I HAD TO INTERVENE 90 PERCENT OF THE TIME
NOW I INTERVENE 5% OF THE TIME

Tesla is far far ahead in many areas including battery, engine efficiency, most importantly autopilot software and hardware.

performance model 3 even beats the newly lower priced Taycan. Tesla is way ahead of the competition by a wide margin

There are updates that have lessened the worthiness of self-driving that I am unhappy about. For some these changes seem a net plus, but I fondly remember no such thing as phantom braking or pretending to make an effort to use an exit. However, it is impossible for me to down judge the net outcomes of these updates, Its been to long and windy a road.

Lets be honest, we look forward to Tesla updates more than iPhone Mac.... its crazy

maybe its just me

well everything else is relative. Autopilot is pretty much the only thing that matters to me and you are right, updates recently have been more gimmicks but I welcome all those updates (higher quality bluetooth music, browser, Spotify, sentry mode.. There was no sentry mode when I got it last year in Oct. One one year, they have added so many features that we seriously take it for granted. Our Mac and iPhones don't get this many features

Lets be honest, we look forward to Tesla updates more than iPhone Mac.... its crazy

maybe its just me

Perhaps because we're desperate for features to get better, because they're not all in a great state. Most of the hype has been around "is AP finally better for <situation>?!", "is phantom braking finally gone?!", etc.

Android/iOS updates have a lot less drama because features are mostly complete, and updates bring entirely new features. However, I think while it's unfair to say it's just you, it might be fair to say that many people care about their smartphone updates more. I did really look forward to the addition of a system-wide dark mode in Android 10, which was scheduled for Android 10 and actually came out in Android 10.

P.S. @argon2018 You can hit the "QUOTE" button next to "REPLY" to add quotes and insert all of them in one comment via the "Insert Quotes" button below the text box.

Perhaps because we're desperate for features to get better, because they're not all in a great state. Most of the hype has been around "is AP finally better for <situation>?!", "is phantom braking finally gone?!", etc.

Android/iOS updates have a lot less drama because features are mostly complete, and updates bring entirely new features. However, I think while it's unfair to say it's just you, it might be fair to say that many people care about their smartphone updates more. I did really look forward to the addition of a system-wide dark mode in Android 10, which was scheduled for Android 10 and actually came out in Android 10.

P.S. @argon2018 You can hit the "QUOTE" button next to "REPLY" to add quotes and insert all of them in one comment via the "Insert Quotes" button below the text box.

true, updates are not as polished as one would hope but even iOS and Mac updates are not these days and that's when Apple is 20x bigger than Tesla.
Honestly Tesla engineers are doing a phenomenal job IMO

dude when did you get your car? how can you say No?
improvements in browser, nav on AP, changing lanes, browser, sentry mode, smart summon in one year are not improvements? are you kidding?
Tell me one car company that even remotely can do this in one decade

Not the quoted person but...

1. Browser? Don't use that in my car. I have a much more convenient and capable smartphone (which I nearly have to have because it's my key). Also, that's a premium interior only feature. Also, it's not a driving feature, which is what my car is for.
  2. Nav on AP? Not available on highways that I drive on regularly. Also, that's an FSD-only feature.
  3. Auto lane-change abandons constantly for me, which is extremely jarring the way it pulls back to the first lane. I'll cancel and do the lane change myself to avoid this. Also, that's an FSD-only feature.
  4. Sentry mode is great now that it doesn't corrupt videos, but having it on consumes more battery than it's worth if you can't be plugged in on a daily basis (even then, it consumes a lot). Third party dashcam is still a better solution unfortunately, and can also capture sound.
  5. Smart summon isn't available to everyone, for one. For two, the inconvenience to others in a parking lot (wrong direction, odd paths, halting, etc.) is just too awkward for me. Also, that's an FSD-only feature.
Not everyone finds value in coughing up $6k for FSD, especially when it doesn't work or offer anything for their daily commutes like in my case.

I'm also of the opinion full self driving will be realised here within a decade by anyone because of winter driving. When the lines are covered and people form their own lane lines (which even vary in number from the original number of lanes), it gets very complicated as to what the right actions are. After winter the lane lines are also physically gone which makes current AP a bit sketchy (yes, the paint around here needs replacing nearly every year).

Not the quoted person but...

1. Browser? Don't use that in my car. I have a much more convenient and capable smartphone (which I nearly have to have because it's my key). Also, that's a premium interior only feature. Also, it's not a driving feature, which is what my car is for.
  2. Nav on AP? Not available on highways that I drive on regularly. Also, that's an FSD-only feature.
  3. Auto lane-change abandons constantly for me, which is extremely jarring the way it pulls back to the first lane. I'll cancel and do the lane change myself to avoid this. Also, that's an FSD-only feature.
  4. Sentry mode is great now that it doesn't corrupt videos, but having it on consumes more battery than it's worth if you can't be plugged in on a daily basis (even then, it consumes a lot). Third party dashcam is still a better solution unfortunately, and can also capture sound.
  5. Smart summon isn't available to everyone, for one. For two, the inconvenience to others in a parking lot (wrong direction, odd paths, halting, etc.) is just too awkward for me. Also, that's an FSD-only feature.
Not everyone finds value in coughing up $6k for FSD, especially when it doesn't work or offer anything for their daily commutes like in my case.

I'm also of the opinion full self driving will be realised here within a decade by anyone because of winter driving. When the lines are covered and people form their own lane lines (which even vary in number from the original number of lanes), it gets very complicated as to what the right actions are. After winter the lane lines are also physically gone which makes current AP a bit sketchy (yes, the paint around here needs replacing nearly every year).

For me AP is worth every penny. In a few months, once they roll out AP on street level, you may change your mind. But then its gonna be more expensive to upgrade at that time when the have rolled out the software