Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Tesla insurance, just got DMV letter "Intent to Suspend" for lack of insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the post! I am in a similar situation, was told it would be taken care of a month ago but then just got notice of suspension. I tried contacting the Tesla insurance person and also emailed the vip address but have not gotten a response so looks like I'll have to talk to someone at DMV directly.

Just wanted to follow up on my experience. Every promise Tesla Insurance made to me regarding this situation was not kept.

I was told I would I receive a follow up phone call (this was 2 months ago) to confirm they took care of everything in the original conversation I had with Tesla insurance about this. I called 3-4 weeks later after not hearing anything and was told by the agent they are no longer giving curiosity calls as their staff was overworked because of it and to just trust that it's taken care. This made me so irate about how this was all handled. The first phone call that told me I was on my own, the 2nd phone call that made false promises, and the 3rd phone call that said "trust us".

What a joke.

Thankfully my stuff was cleared in time and I suspect it had nothing to with Tesla insurance's efforts and everything to do with the DMV rep telling me to email my info to a specific address.

Email your proof of insurance, including your NAIC # to: [email protected]

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I replied to their yesterday's e-mail around noon with an "Any progress?" and got back "...my assistant supervisor is waiting for a response from the DMV. Should be later today, I will email you either way...". As I wanted to use the cars today I just drove them and didn't worry about it. I never did hear anything further from them today, and as it's now after 9pm I don't think I will. My long experience says that waiting for anything from the DMV is a fool's errand, but we'll see how they do. Tomorrow is another day.
Now two days later. Have sent two more e-mails asking what's going on. Silence. I suppose it's possible that they've fixed the problem and then failed to tell me. But so far as I know I'm driving on a suspended registration. I'm not impressed at all.

I dealt with this late tues eve, and just got official confirmation this afternoon that it was all taken care of! Just like 2 mo ago when they said the same thing . I called and double checked with them and they confirmed that everything was taken care of, but i haven’t spoken to the dmv so i’m not entirely convinced

Now two days later. Have sent two more e-mails asking what's going on. Silence. I suppose it's possible that they've fixed the problem and then failed to tell me. But so far as I know I'm driving on a suspended registration. I'm not impressed at all.

I got the email two days later that the issue was escalated and confirmation from someone at DMV that the suspension was cleared. Glad it got taken care of but an initial email saying they are working on it would have been nice.

And on the third day I called. The Tesla Insurance person I spoke to said that her colleague had been out of the office and that was why I hadn't heard anything. Their supervisor could supposedly confirm that things had been addressed (if they had), but could not be reached either.

I suggested that perhaps I could find out faster by asking the DMV rather than sit there with her on the phone while we waited for her supervisor to maybe respond to his e-mail eventually. She said sure, and she would e-mail me with the up-to-date information just as soon as she got it. I asked her for an e-mail stating this intention, got it, and we parted ways.

I called the DMV and after about a ten minute wait I talked to a person who told me everything looked fine.

The Tesla Insurance person never did e-mail me. So it looks like they fixed the problem, but are utterly unable to communicate reasonably. How exactly like Tesla!

If all is actually good, my registration renewal should go through nicely. We shall see.

I sure hope if I ever have a claim that they do better than this.

We recently received this letter also, on S that was recently purchased. Proof was shown at AAA during title transfer. Not insured through Tesla.

Interesting. I actually sent in the proof, AND had Tesla do it... still got suspended. Im not happy.

BTW Whatchya think of my custom ID card? :p . The paper one is too flimsy and cheap looking for my taste LOL

TeslaInsCard.jpeg

I just got the horrid notice of intent to suspend as well.

I mean, i guess i shouldnt be too surprised this screw up happens with Tesla. They are more of a technology company trying to be a automotive company than anything else.

They screwed me with my 2018 m3 delivery which they still owe me a $300 refund (lol) but this now as well.

Has anyone who has received the notice of intent to suspend had any positive luck with getting this resolved? My suspension date is effective 1/17/2020, and something tells me i'm going to get shafted as well -- even following everything thats been posted thus far.

Hopefully someone has some relatively good news...

Reactions: msm859
I just got the horrid notice of intent to suspend as well.

I mean, i guess i shouldnt be too surprised this screw up happens with Tesla. They are more of a technology company trying to be a automotive company than anything else.

They screwed me with my 2018 m3 delivery which they still owe me a $300 refund (lol) but this now as well.

Has anyone who has received the notice of intent to suspend had any positive luck with getting this resolved? My suspension date is effective 1/17/2020, and something tells me i'm going to get shafted as well -- even following everything thats been posted thus far.

Hopefully someone has some relatively good news...

Important to note this isn't a Tesla issue, it's a CA DMV issue. Folks have sent their proof to CA DMV and still got suspended.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
I went online to the DMV and that did not work. Tried calling the DMV as the letter suggests, that also did not work. Then I googled it and realized I probably should have come here first. After reading all the message, I'm still not sure what the next move is here. Call Tesla? Call the DMV? Email the DMV? Mail in the physical proof (which is basically a shitty looking hastily put together Word doc)?

Important to note this isn't a Tesla issue, it's a CA DMV issue. Folks have sent their proof to CA DMV and still got suspended.

Let's not let either of them off the hook. They are clearly both to blame. It seems that when you have two large organizations with notoriously poor communication trying to coordinate, well communicating with each other, you end up with this clusterfuck.

I went online to the DMV and that did not work. Tried calling the DMV as the letter suggests, that also did not work. Then I googled it and realized I probably should have come here first. After reading all the message, I'm still not sure what the next move is here. Call Tesla? Call the DMV? Email the DMV? Mail in the physical proof (which is basically a shitty looking hastily put together Word doc)?

Let's not let either of them off the hook. They are clearly both to blame. It seems that when you have two large organizations with notoriously poor communication trying to coordinate, well communicating with each other, you end up with this clusterfuck.

I don't have tesla insurance on a car that was recently purchased and received warning letter. Proof was provided at title transfer at AAA. So I'm not sure how tesla would be involved?

OK guys I have it solved. First, send a email With a copy of your insurance card to [email protected]. Then call Tesla and make sure they send the email to the DMV as well.

I suggest doing this proactively with an explanation email the moment you get the insurance.

It turns out that my letter for suspension actually crossed with the documentation that I had sent in. The suspension was removed by the time I had called.

Just sent an email to the DMV and am just patiently awaiting a response that I know will never come.

Also, I called Tesla Insurance. The guy was pretty nice but he said that Tesla and the DMV have it all worked out now and that if your "Suspension Effective Date" is after December 30th (not the 31st?), then the DMV is able to automatically process our proof of insurance. And that there are a select few who received the letters despite that being the case because the DMV was unable to stop themselves from sending out the letters in time. Again, this information is all from the Tesla Insurance phone rep so I'm not quite sure how much to believe based on the various stories, causes, and reasons given to other members on this thread.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Just sent an email to the DMV and am just patiently awaiting a response that I know will never come.

Also, I called Tesla Insurance. The guy was pretty nice but he said that Tesla and the DMV have it all worked out now and that if your "Suspension Effective Date" is after December 30th (not the 31st?), then the DMV is able to automatically process our proof of insurance. And that there are a select few who received the letters despite that being the case because the DMV was unable to stop themselves from sending out the letters in time. Again, this information is all from the Tesla Insurance phone rep so I'm not quite sure how much to believe based on the various stories, causes, and reasons given to other members on this thread.

This is a very good development.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
And on the third day I called. The Tesla Insurance person I spoke to said that her colleague had been out of the office and that was why I hadn't heard anything. Their supervisor could supposedly confirm that things had been addressed (if they had), but could not be reached either.

I suggested that perhaps I could find out faster by asking the DMV rather than sit there with her on the phone while we waited for her supervisor to maybe respond to his e-mail eventually. She said sure, and she would e-mail me with the up-to-date information just as soon as she got it. I asked her for an e-mail stating this intention, got it, and we parted ways.

I called the DMV and after about a ten minute wait I talked to a person who told me everything looked fine.

The Tesla Insurance person never did e-mail me. So it looks like they fixed the problem, but are utterly unable to communicate reasonably. How exactly like Tesla!

If all is actually good, my registration renewal should go through nicely. We shall see.

I sure hope if I ever have a claim that they do better than this.
Well, they weren't utterly unable to communicate, just unable to do it in a timely fashion. Yesterday I finally got e-mail from the original guy telling me that the DMV had informed them that the issue was resolved. We shall next see if the registration renewal works.