Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Tesla's new video recording rules changed your mind about signing up for FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, still running a neutered 10.4 firmware, but the car has been in the SC since Monday morning, when 10.5 came out. Won’t update until it’s out of service mode. I figure it will get 2021.40.6.
What’s Out Of Service Mode? I too am thinking of opting out, and would like the 2021.40.6 or the latest, and would like to know how long it takes to get back to normal updates, once I can get rid of this useless (to me) beta .

Reactions: jebinc
Saving lives does not necessarily mean safe.
You're getting pretty far afield here, and starting to sound like a troll. You started this thread with what I took to be a good faith concern for the privacy implications of the 10.5 FSD beta release's waiver for video recording. Now you're on about putative safety concerns about the production autopilot stack that none of those cars are using.

Do you want to discuss privacy, or safety, or are you just here to yell about whatever wins you the argument?

What’s Out Of Service Mode? I too am thinking of opting out, and would like the 2021.40.6 or the latest, and would like to know how long it takes to get back to normal updates, once I can get rid of this useless (to me) beta .
It’s in service and the app shows a service status, rather than normal status. It won’t get an update while in service mode, unless the SC forces it. The car is still there so I can’t help you with the “how long does it take” question.

Reactions: Phlier and CaptUAL
...Now you're on about putative safety concerns...
Safety is mentioned on message 38 which I did not start. Message 38 started it.
... about the production autopilot stack that none of those cars are using...
Again, current safety is also about current publically released firmware such as summon

And also publically released firmware with no need to pass safety score as reported by the reporter in the article above.

The "stack" sublime is from the tweet, not about current publically released firmware.
Do you want to discuss privacy, or safety, or are you just here to yell about whatever wins you the argument?

I see it as presenting the facts and not an argument.

I would love to lose in an argument so that I can learn the facts.

What version of software is the beta on? My car was delivered last week with 2021.40.6. I’d like to get the beta but don’t want to lose other features in the process.

We’ll see about that. Are there any known cases of someone getting into the beta and having their software downgraded to a previous release? I wonder if I can’t be added to the beta until the baseline release is 2021.40.6 or later.

@Sigma4Life Perhaps I misread.... I opted out of beta and was left with a "neutered" version of the 10.4 beta firmware. I suppose sometime in the future I may receive 40.6, but that has yet to happen after 15 days from opting out.

@Sigma4Life Perhaps I misread.... I opted out of beta and was left with a "neutered" version of the 10.4 beta firmware. I suppose sometime in the future I may receive 40.6, but that has yet to happen after 15 days from opting out.
I wish Tesla gave us more control over firmware updates. However I’m sure their hardware matrix is getting insane with small, hidden hardware tweaks in addition to the multiple generations of FSD capable cars. I imagine it’s getting harder and harder to deploy to so many variations without unintended consequences.

Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
I wish Tesla gave us more control over firmware updates. However I’m sure their hardware matrix is getting insane with small, hidden hardware tweaks in addition to the multiple generations of FSD capable cars. I imagine it’s getting harder and harder to deploy to so many variations without unintended consequences.
You mean like the control we get from Apple and Microsoft, to name just two. 🤪

Yes, still running a neutered 10.4 firmware, but the car has been in the SC since Monday morning, when 10.5 came out. Won’t update until it’s out of service mode. I figure it will get 2021.40.6.

What’s Out Of Service Mode?
Just for clarification, he's saying once the car is out of Service Mode. When an SC takes a car in for service, they put the vehicle in "Service Mode." Service Mode removes some owner functionality from the smart phone app, as well as other things that they don't really make public. Service Mode does prevent the owner from using the smart phone app to install a new firmware version.

--FO-SWA ;)

Reactions: jebinc and CaptUAL
We’ll see about that. Are there any known cases of someone getting into the beta and having their software downgraded to a previous release? I wonder if I can’t be added to the beta until the baseline release is 2021.40.6 or later.
The FSD beta 10.5 release is available with 2021.36.8.8 firmware only. If you opt in and get accepted, you'll get an update to exactly that version (or whatever future versions get matched to the FSD tree). It's not often far behind the mainline releases, but it's not the same and you can't mix and match.

Reactions: Sigma4Life
The FSD beta 10.5 release is available with 2021.36.8.8 firmware only. If you opt in and get accepted, you'll get an update to exactly that version (or whatever future versions get matched to the FSD tree). It's not often far behind the mainline releases, but it's not the same and you can't mix and match.
Erm, I think he means "would Tesla even 'upgrade' you from 2021.40.X --> 2021.36.X if you would be accepted into the beta?" I'm wondering the same thing too... Tesla seems to be working off the 2021.36 "branch" of their software bundle and I'd assume they don't do downgrades. (Within a "branch" or at least within whatever subunit after the second dot is, they can clearly do downgrades, as they did during the 10.3 debacle: 2021.36.5.2 installed. Car wants to downgrade…). If that isn't an upgrade path that's possible, people on 2021.40.X are kinda stranded as of now. (I'm just hoping they rebase the FSD beta on top of 2021.40.6 or later with FSD beta vnext so there will be FSD beta and waypoints, which will be rather cool if they interact properly.)

• Love
Reactions: Sigma4Life
I'm wondering if, when FSD beta becomes FSD beta (but actually GA instead of invite-only), Tesla tries to continue this butt-covering technique. I'm personally totally OK with this being a condition of the limited, invite-only-where-CNN-can-have-it-but-JonNRb-cannot extravaganza, but I'm not so sure I'm totally cool with the wide latitude given to capture cabin camera footage once this is generally available. I think that when the cabin camera debuted on the M3, it was touted as being able to do some cool stuff, and it really hasn't yet. E.g.:
  • Why can't I enable cabin camera footage when running the dashcam right now? Tesla can clearly keep a running log of cabin camera footage; why can't they write it to my USB storage device with the other video streams? If people really are happy to let Tesla record them because it could be used as evidence they were paying attention at the time of a collision, wouldn't they want to be able to have that footage ready ASAP?
  • Why can't I have sentry mode capture cabin camera video if someone breaks my window to rummage around? (It could also turn on the dome lights to better capture the vandal's face at night! I should start tweeting at Elon...)
  • Why can't I video call people in my car when it's parked?
  • And why can't I use this to monitor passengers when my M3 is being used as a robotaxi for the Tesla Network that launched EOY2020? (Oh wait... lol)
Furthermore, couldn't this get-out-of-NHTSA-investigation-free card only kick on when the driver monitoring system actually detects inattentiveness? If Tesla thinks its DMS actually works, it should be confident enough to not record me when it is confident I'm paying attention and would attest to that fact well enough as a video of me driving like a Boy Scout could.

This thread is about consents for video recording. Tesla video won't record the lower part of the driver or feet or pedals.

I am not sure what's the point here for proof of brakes.
Car makers already record everything since the Sudden Acceleration lawsuits including pedal depression and wheel angle.
Your phone already records everything.
Phone telemetry gets subpoenaed fairly often in wrongful death or severe injury.
Whether you agree to video to be saved and recorded does not change that.
The only time any car maker telemetry is seen is when the car maker is sued.
If you don't want your data recorded, don't use a cell phone and don't drive a modern car.

Erm, I think he means "would Tesla even 'upgrade' you from 2021.40.X --> 2021.36.X if you would be accepted into the beta?" I'm wondering the same thing too... Tesla seems to be working off the 2021.36 "branch" of their software bundle and I'd assume they don't do downgrades. (Within a "branch" or at least within whatever subunit after the second dot is, they can clearly do downgrades, as they did during the 10.3 debacle: 2021.36.5.2 installed. Car wants to downgrade…). If that isn't an upgrade path that's possible, people on 2021.40.X are kinda stranded as of now. (I'm just hoping they rebase the FSD beta on top of 2021.40.6 or later with FSD beta vnext so there will be FSD beta and waypoints, which will be rather cool if they interact properly.)
Spoken like a true software developer. 👍🏾👏🏾