Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have the 2013 sales tax rates come into effect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Was trying to estimate the latest taxes and fees on my Model S purchase price here:

Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator

Surprisingly, the sales tax rate applied by this calculator (not updated yet?) still comes out at 8.75% for me in Newark, CA when it should have been 9% (post-Prop-30) according to the spreadsheets in here:

California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates - Board of Equalization

Strangely, the Pitney-Bowes tax rate locator linked to by the BoE page also spits out 8.75% still!

http://www.geotax.com/USTaxLookup/

Good question. I'd like to know this as well. I was wondering if signing the MVPA and therefore putting the $5000 reservation as an initial down payment would mark the beginning of the sale date in 2012 and therefore keep the sales tax at that rate rather than raising it up.

I just signed my MVPA. Sales tax was correct at 8.625% for San Jose. VLF from the MVPA was correct (compared to the DMV website). The MVPA has an additional line item for registration, transfer and titling, which doesn't match up to anything on the DMV website. Overall, MVPA DMV registration fees are about $100 less than what the DMV website shows.

FWIW, the DMV website for sales/use tax seems to be for 2012 tax rates.

I'm confused on the Vehicle License Fee for California. I saw someone on an earlier thread actually had this filled out. Mine is zero but there is a $693 Registration, Transfer and Titling Fees.

Do we get details when the actual car registration and plates arrive? I like to put away any tax stuff away as soon as it arrives, not later.

I think Owner's worry though is that for tax purposes, you need the VLF section with a real dollar amount, as that is tax deductible. If it shows $0, and is lumped into the registration portion, then you technically couldn't deduct it as you have no paperwork to show that it was actually the VLF.

Very strange. My Pre-Delivery document has it itemized:

pre-delivery.jpg

My final does not have it itemized
final.jpg

Attachments

• predelivery.jpg
    predelivery.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 584
  • finalpaperwork.jpg
    finalpaperwork.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 575
In my case, all of the docs from Tesla (both prelim and final MVPA) have a zero amt for VLF. I then tried the DMV calculator and it indicated "No matching record". I think it's time to email TM and find out what's up.

Could just be some lag in the web site. When did you get your car? You could instead use the other calculator, linked in the first post of the thread, to find out what VLF should be. (That one won't actually look up your registration.)

Could just be some lag in the web site. When did you get your car? You could instead use the other calculator, linked in the first post of the thread, to find out what VLF should be. (That one won't actually look up your registration.)

I registered back in October, so I'd expect it to be recorded by now, but it is a state run site so who knows. I did use the other calculator and got a reasonable number from that (should be good enough for taxes).