Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have there been studies on possible health effects of ev's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the more harmful effect is the effect of acceleration and addiction. Once you try a Tesla (not just any EV) its like a drug you are addicted. The manual does not state anything about addiction. Regarding acceleration I am sure it has some effect. Moving the brain back and all the blood going to the back of the head, you only think from the back of the brain. :)

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
@amans232 - ALL electrical fields have a magnetic field - it's why electromagnetism is one word, they are different aspects of the same thing. Batteries are sealed, no emissions remember? Leaky Li-ion batteries catch fire, they don't just smell or fume.

A lot of us here are medical professionals, and one of the most popular imaging tools at our disposal are massive magnetic fields known to the world as MRI machines, and the magnets in them are always on, 24-7-365. There has been extensive research into magnetics, and there is no health risk from constant exposure to colossal magnetic fields needed to align the molecules in your body to make a coherent image. The microscopic fields in your car and TV are negligible, and even less risky than the already "Zero" risk of massive medical magnets. MRI is often preferable because unlike X rays that are ionizing radiation and thus by definition have an above-zero cancer risk, MRI is just a magnet with zero chance of that possibility.

This isn't a question or an unknown, fear of electromagnets causing cancers is baseless and silly.

People have suggested it in jest several times but it's true - the only health risk from EV power is its powerful acceleration.

I think of this every time this topic comes up....LOL
1q8ht4p44gq21.jpg

I wonder sitting on all those batteries in the car and the large screen and wifi in the car if there are seriously any possible health effects? I mean we all know cell phones can cause cancer and 5g is dangerous as is wifi waves all around us but i am just curious how safe driving these cars day to day is or may be. Its a serious question and not trolling.
If you truly believe your premise, that "cell phones can cause cancer and 5g is dangerous as is wifi waves all around us ", Teslas are definitely not for you - they have celllular modem and wifi built in. No need to dig deeper.

I would be more worried about the health effects resulting from emissions of the gas guzzling cars around you in traffic. No, I don’t have HEPA in my car :(
Yes! I do have HEPA. I opened my sunroof on a beautiful day after months of not opening it. Then I noticed the smell from the vehicles around me at a stop light. I can't wait for a future where the outside air is as clean as after they banned indoor smoking.

Reactions: rsg123
...Seriously, someone here on TMC actually performed a study of EM fields in a Model S, in the context of possible interference with pacemakers:

Model S and Pacemakers

(TL;DR: No interference found.)

Bruce.
Interesting that you bring that up. My mother has a pacemaker and has ridden in the back of my RWD S a number of times without difficulty. That's pretty close to the oscillating magnetic fields of the motor.

Moderator note: Let's lay off the snark towards the OP, please. Thanks.

Seriously, someone here on TMC actually performed a study of EM fields in a Model S, in the context of possible interference with pacemakers:

Model S and Pacemakers

(TL;DR: No interference found.)

Bruce.
I think the snarks are mostly about the false premise of the OP's question, rather than the question itself.
here is a video on the emf levels in a tesla model s

It's videos like this that freak people out. It starts out talking about Chernobyl, which has absolutely nothing to do with EMF radiation. Your skin radiates heat all the time (yep, anything that emits any energy "radiates"). Yes, I know they try to split it into ionizing and non-ionizing, but still, only mention things that people don't understand. They should have included "heat radiation - anything that is warmer than its environment (including your loved ones), anything that emits light, sound, etc - all of that is radiation of energy in one form or another. People hear "radiation" in Chernobyl, they automatically associate all radiation with nuclear waste. *sigh* :(

Reactions: .jg.