Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have they fixed shuffling songs on usb devices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's consistently around 2, even when the car has been "off" for hours:

Code:
top - 16:54:14 up 4 days,  5:52,  0 users,  load average: 2.01, 2.04, 2.05
Tasks: 161 total,   1 running, 160 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 18.2%us,  4.9%sy,  0.0%ni, 75.0%id,  0.2%wa,  0.0%hi,  1.7%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2047840k total,  1554188k used,   493652k free,   251296k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   373432k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                                                                             
22980 tesla     10 -10  352m  23m  14m S   19  1.2   1124:52 QtCarVehicle                                                                                                                       
23732 tesla     20   0  979m 399m  43m S   13 20.0 858:30.55 QtCar                                                                                                                               
1266 tesla     20   0  457m  98m  17m S    7  4.9 550:28.48 QtCarServer                                                                                                                         
1216 tesla     20   0  305m 102m  10m S    6  5.1 444:02.23 QtCarGpsManager                                                                                                                     
1213 tesla     20   0  177m  12m 9696 S    5  0.6 319:16.04 QtCarNetManager                                                                                                                     
9097 tesla     20   0  238m  17m  12m S    5  0.9  37:19.31 QtCarParrot                                                                                                                         
1218 tesla     20   0  164m  14m 8668 S    4  0.7 291:55.69 QtCarEVLogServi                                                                                                                     
10289 tesla     20   0  156m  11m 9988 S    4  0.6  30:51.69 QtCarSpeechReco                                                                                                                     
9261 tesla     10 -10  164m  14m 8864 S    2  0.7  21:46.66 QtCarAudiod                                                                                                                         
10451 spotify   20   0  126m  13m 7468 S    2  0.7  15:41.45 SpotifyServer                                                                                                                       
  508 root      10 -10 60848 6908 5900 S    1  0.3  83:54.65 QtCarMonitor                                                                                                                       
9681 tesla     20   0  2396 1056  748 R    1  0.1   0:00.17 top                                                                                                                                 
10281 tesla     20   0  141m  16m  11m S    1  0.8   9:57.13 QtCarMediaServe

• Informative
Reactions: doctorwho
See Load (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Very roughly, a load average of 2 during a measurement period means there were twice as many processes as the CPU could handle without delay.
Processes are often multi-threaded, and each thread counts as a task for the purpose of calculating CPU load.

But here's the thing: a load of 1.0 means 100% CPU usage only if you have a single-core CPU. The Tesla CID uses a multi-core CPU. If it's a quad-core, then a load of 4.0 is equal to 100% CPU usage. Given that the top process in the list (QtCarVehicle) is using 19% of the CPU, and adding up the rest of the list that's visible comes out to around 50% CPU usage (i.e. a 2.0 load), we're probably dealing with 4 cores. But continuous use of the CPU at 50% is still surprisingly high.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: doctorwho
See Load (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very roughly, a load average of 2 during a measurement period means there were twice as many processes as the CPU could handle without delay.

This is the NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor, right? Is load average affected by its unusual "variable SMP", aka battery-saver or companion core? That might explain a load average of two while idle time is 75%. There's also quite a bit of system time relative to user time. That could be polling or some sort of lock wait time. There isn't much I/O wait, which is good.

My own experience across a variety of unix and linux systems has been that load average is not be a very useful metric, and I tend to ignore it in favor of more detailed measurements. But @Ingineer and others on TMC know more about the MCU than I do, so I look forward to learning something new.

Old bug
I usually have my entire MP3/AAC collection on shuffle, and I've gotten over the fact that my Tesla listens to music when I'm not there (it's rarely on the same track I left it on). I can live with that, if that's what makes her happy.

New (to me) bug
However, the other day I was in the mood for a particular artist so I pulled up "all song" for that artist and shuffled them. Strangely, when I got back in the car the next day, it was back in shuffle-all music mode (not filtered to artist). Just to confirm it wasn't me, I selected a single artist again, and sure enough the next day it was back in shuffle-all mode. Apparently she doesn't like that artist.

Sorry if I missed mention of this in the numerous media player bug lists.

I suspected that the music was continuing after I left the car. I'm going to pause it before I get out from now on.
From my experience clear up through 2.20.30, Pause won't consistently resolve the phantom USB playing bug. The only way to workaround it, each time you exit your MS is to either:
  1. Remove your USB device and leave it unplugged until needed again
  2. Switch to something like an FM station (this is your best option if you have any large number of tracks on your USB stick)

From my experience clear up through 2.20.30, Pause won't consistently resolve the phantom USB playing bug. The only way to workaround it, each time you exit your MS is to either:
  1. Remove your USB device and leave it unplugged until needed again
  2. Switch to something like an FM station (this is your best option if you have any large number of tracks on your USB stick)
This "phantom" playing isn't necessarily a USB-only issue; it's just much more obvious with a USB source that the car has been playing music for the entire time I've been away. As a test, over the last few weeks I've tried switching to a Bluetooth source (my phone) every time I leave the car, but it doesn't help: when I return, the car has decided to switch to the radio and that's what's now playing.

When this was discussed previously, I seem to remember folks thinking that it might be related to having "Energy Saving" mode turned on. While I normally leave that switch set to On, I just noticed there's a small info button next to this setting, and it states that even if you turn this mode Off, it will still go into Energy Saving mode overnight anyway.

So the car is Always On, except when it's in Energy Saving mode, which is... always On? :eek:

This "phantom" playing isn't necessarily a USB-only issue; it's just much more obvious with a USB source that the car has been playing music for the entire time I've been away. As a test, over the last few weeks I've tried switching to a Bluetooth source (my phone) every time I leave the car, but it doesn't help: when I return, the car has decided to switch to the radio and that's what's now playing.

When this was discussed previously, I seem to remember folks thinking that it might be related to having "Energy Saving" mode turned on. While I normally leave that switch set to On, I just noticed there's a small info button next to this setting, and it states that even if you turn this mode Off, it will still go into Energy Saving mode overnight anyway.

So the car is Always On, except when it's in Energy Saving mode, which is... always On? :eek:
I think the logic works like this. Energy Saving is always On from 10pm-5am. And it is always On from 5am-10pm if you set the setting to On, otherwise during the day it's Off.

I think!

Originally you could completely turn off "sleep mode". The software has had audio playback problems since sleep mode was first introduced, but at least you could disable the sleep mode - and avoid the audio problems.

But with the current software "off" no longer means off - and there's no way to completely disable the sleep mode - the car always turn off overnight.

After Tesla first released the Model S - it was understandable the software would have limited capabilities and some quality problems. But it's been 4 years - we still have limited functionality in the media player and the hybrid Navigon/Google/Tesla navigation software - and we have very basic reliability problems, such as the audio player turning on overnight - or with the latest software update, the navigation software losing track of GPS positioning (requiring almost daily reboots).

Since software now controls critical self-driving functions like autopilot and summons - if Tesla can't get the media player and navigation software to work well, similar bugs in the self-driving functions will be more than just an inconvenience...