TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Have they solved battery cost for gen3?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Chickenlittle, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

If I understand Munich presentation gen 3 need to make easier to manufacture but nothing new. Does that mean battery cost solved?

2. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

IIRC the term used was "requires to exploit economics of scale". I interpret that as "no new wonder required, but we need a lot of cash to build a battery factory that doubles world cell production to get at the desired price point."

3. gameon

gameon Member

3 years from now but again same thing apply to others. I mean if samsung or panasonic can make battery for tesla why not others can take advantage but last I check most of the raw material come from outside of US... so we are depend on other countries for new source of energy (that might be a issue for price point but I am not expert at this)

4. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

With information from the Tesla event in Oslo (Elon and JB speaking), they talked about 30% to 40% reduction in cell cost with the GigaFactory churning out 30GWh of battery cells per year. That's half a million 60kWh battery packs.

5. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

There will be massive efforts to automate as much as possible from raw materials to final product. Not only to reduce $/kWH and the opex, in the short term (10ys) but it'll be an experience and know how that may come in handy when establishing in mars.

6. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Batteries are not energy but energy storage.

With current battery chemistry, the supply is large and diffuse. And batteries, unlike oil, are recyclable.

Canada, Australia, and the United States together have all the raw materials the industrialized world needs to electrify the automobile.

Although named lithium ion batteries they only contain about 3% lithium.

There is steel and aluminum for casing.

But the battery is mostly nickel and copper.

Australia is the 800 lb gorilla when it comes to nickel.

The US and Australia have more than enough copper. The 800 lbs gorilla in copper is Chile. We have a free trade agreement with Chile and very friendly relations.

Lithium ion batteries use some cobalt. And Congo does have the largest global cobalt reserves but neither Congo nor a cartel led by Congo can control the global price of Cobalt.

New Caledonia a French affiliated country/ protectorate near Australia has large amounts of Cobalt.

Lithium is only 3% content and the largest proven reserves are in Bolivia but neither Bolivia nor a cartel led by Bolivia can control the global price of Lithium.

The 500 lb Chimpanzee in lithium is Chile.

So depending on Australia and Canada and to a lesser extent Chile and France is a far superior position than depending on OPEC and Russia.

BTW Why not let Samsung or Panasonic take the lead? Because they are not all in with Elon Musk's vision for Tesla or the global EV industry. They are not ready to invest billions alone in the proposition that Tesla will be selling 75k Model S, 75k Model X and 350k Model E annually around the globe by 2018-19. Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.