Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to pay for diagnostics at the SC, Reus audio is the reason

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX failed FW upgrade from 42.2 to 46.x last week, and by failed FW upgrade I mean the car didn't power up. The only things that worked were the doors and windows, nothing else.

Once it was towed, I get a call from the SC who said I need to pay for the diagnostics (175$/hr) since the aftermarket audio fitters cut into the wiring harness of the car to run the subwoofer wiring through it. The SC seemed to indicate that it was the sole reason the FW update failed.

Thing is, I got the audio system installed in April and have since gotten more than 10 updates, including the move from v8 to v9. Why would it fail only now?

At the moment, I'v pushed back at the SC and they said they'll work with me over who pays for what after I sent them enough evidence to convince them that Reus has been retrofitting Teslas with custom audio systems ever since customers discovered how crap the original system was.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum
They can't void the entire warranty...

What Voids Your Vehicle's Warranty? | Edmunds

The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

However, if the reason for a parts failure is unclear, a dealer will usually charge you to diagnose the vehicle. If the aftermarket part was not properly installed or a modification led to a component failure, it is within the dealer's right to void the warranty for that part, and you will have to pay for the repairs out of pocket. If the aftermarket parts had nothing to do with the repairs in question, you will be refunded the fee for the diagnosis.

@JasJ thanks for your input.

I got the car yesterday and the root cause was this:

Vehicle towed in - 12V battery needs service
Vehicle is fully operational now after replacing the SD card and installing
firmware.Removed and replaced 12v battery as per alerts.Verified 12v battery
and charging system are operating as designed and alerts are no longer
present.
Correction: Battery - Auxiliary - 12V
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
MICRO SD CARD 8GB (1130855-00-A) 1
BATTERY, 12V,AtlasBX B19, Flooded (1046200