TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Have to replace a relatively new tire due to a nail

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JClu, Apr 12, 2017.

1. JClu

JClu Member

On our recent road trip back home, I discovered a nail in the passenger rear tire (see picture below). We drove for over 600 miles without any change in tire pressure. This morning I brought the car to our local car shop that I like, hoping they can just remove the nail and patch it from the inside. They immediately told me that the nail is too close to the sidewall (1 inch is their usual cutoff) to repair. So I'm looking at having to replace this relatively new (fewer than 8,900 miles) tire. The shop called around and said their 3 tire suppliers do not carry this tire (Goodyear Eagle Touring, 245 45R19, 98W), so I drove home and looked online.

Tire Rack lists this tire at $222.41, plus S&H. I asked the shop, and they said they would install it for about $30 labor.

How long (how far) should these tires typically last? 40,000 to 50,000 miles? 5-7 years? I don't drive very aggressively, but I do live in Chicago where the road salt and winter cold temperature are quite damaging for any tire.

Debating with myself when I should replace this tire...now vs. 1st tire rotation vs. when it's time to replace all 4... Any thoughts? :oops:

Nail.jpg

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

They do not last 4-5 years for sure. I had the Eagle Tourings, at 8 months and 17,000 miles, the tread was no longer to lincoln's head on the penny test. I'd estimate at 22,000 miles (max) I would've had to replace them.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Depending on what it looks like inside you should be able to patch that tire.

4. JClu

JClu Member

Well, there is no way I'm going to do it myself, and I don't suppose any reputable garage / tire shop would take on the liability of patching a nail hole that close to the sidewall.

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

I had a low tire pressure warning since day one and had to replace a tire after only one month and fewer than 2000 miles: Screwed twice in less than two months! BAD luck or sabotage?
    It cost right around $250 for the tire and labor at the Denver Service Center.

Fortunately the screw that founds its way into another tire three weeks later was repairable.

6. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Find a not-so-reputable one :)

You could plug it yourself. Kit online and some vulcanizing glue.

• Funny x 2
  7. AlexG

AlexG Member

I would suggest to get a hazard insurance on your tires for like $20 each or so - that way it will be replaced for free in cases like this one

8. JClu

JClu Member

Thanks for the suggestion...I'll consider it for future tire purchase / replacement. For now this won't help my current predicament though :confused:

9. MorrisonHiker

I second this recommendation. I bought hazard insurance on all four tires after getting a second screw in less than two months. Discount Tire said they would replace the tire and ordered a replacement. While I was awaiting delivery, I took my car into the Service Center and they were able to repair it.

10. MorrisonHiker

I was able to buy the tire certificates with the screw in the tire, before they looked at it. Once they looked at it, they said it wasn't repairable and immediately ordered a 'free' replacement.

11. JClu

JClu Member

What do you mean? Are you saying you bought the insurance (is that the same thing as "tire certificate?") AFTER the screw in the tire, and your tire shop replaced it?

12. ZERO260

ZERO260 Member

I would have it plug instead of patched. A slime plug kit can had for less than $10 for diy. Any tire shop would charge about the same.

13. oktane

oktane Active Member

I would plug that tire, looks far enough away from sidewall but I would consult the tire shop.

14. MorrisonHiker

Yes. I found the screw in the tire and took it to Discount Tire to have them fix it. Before they looked at it, I bought the tire warranty for about $20 per tire. They went out and looked at it and said they couldn't repair it so they would order me a new tire. They ordered a new tire since they didn't have the Goodyear Touring in stock. I got tired of inflating the tire every day so I just had Tesla take a look at it when I took the car into the Service Center the following week. Tesla was able to repair it. I am out the $80 for the tire certificates but they cover the tires for the next three years or so, should anything happen.

15. phaduman

phaduman Member

just curious: you said 600miles and no leak...what if the nail is short that it hasn't even got into the tire enough to cause a leak? Only way perhaps to find is do an xray :eek:

16. phaduman

phaduman Member

So the tire certificate/warranty is provided by the tire seller. For new Teslas with factory tires, one cannot buy the hazard warranty?

17. MorrisonHiker

No. I bought the tire certificates from Discount Tire to cover the tires on my nearly new Tesla Model S. Discount Tire did not sell me these tires but they will sell a warranty because it brings them future customers. They also offer totally free tire repairs ( if the tire is repairable).

18. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

It's not that close to the sidewall. It's repairable.

• Like x 1
  19. JClu

JClu Member

Good for you that they covered it and Tesla repaired it. I'm wondering, though, how did Discount Tire honor the tire warranty you bought when it was obvious that you bought it after the screw was already in the tire?

20. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

A complete breeze to repair. I ALWAYS get them right at the edge of the sidewall, which makes them un-repairable. :confused: