Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to replace a relatively new tire due to a nail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our recent road trip back home, I discovered a nail in the passenger rear tire (see picture below). We drove for over 600 miles without any change in tire pressure. This morning I brought the car to our local car shop that I like, hoping they can just remove the nail and patch it from the inside. They immediately told me that the nail is too close to the sidewall (1 inch is their usual cutoff) to repair. So I'm looking at having to replace this relatively new (fewer than 8,900 miles) tire. The shop called around and said their 3 tire suppliers do not carry this tire (Goodyear Eagle Touring, 245 45R19, 98W), so I drove home and looked online.

Tire Rack lists this tire at $222.41, plus S&H. I asked the shop, and they said they would install it for about $30 labor.

How long (how far) should these tires typically last? 40,000 to 50,000 miles? 5-7 years? I don't drive very aggressively, but I do live in Chicago where the road salt and winter cold temperature are quite damaging for any tire.

Debating with myself when I should replace this tire...now vs. 1st tire rotation vs. when it's time to replace all 4... Any thoughts? :oops:

Nail.jpg

I would suggest to get a hazard insurance on your tires for like $20 each or so - that way it will be replaced for free in cases like this one
I second this recommendation. I bought hazard insurance on all four tires after getting a second screw in less than two months. Discount Tire said they would replace the tire and ordered a replacement. While I was awaiting delivery, I took my car into the Service Center and they were able to repair it.

I was able to buy the tire certificates with the screw in the tire, before they looked at it. Once they looked at it, they said it wasn't repairable and immediately ordered a 'free' replacement.

What do you mean? Are you saying you bought the insurance (is that the same thing as "tire certificate?") AFTER the screw in the tire, and your tire shop replaced it?

What do you mean? Are you saying you bought the insurance (is that the same thing as "tire certificate?") AFTER the screw in the tire, and your tire shop replaced it?
Yes. I found the screw in the tire and took it to Discount Tire to have them fix it. Before they looked at it, I bought the tire warranty for about $20 per tire. They went out and looked at it and said they couldn't repair it so they would order me a new tire. They ordered a new tire since they didn't have the Goodyear Touring in stock. I got tired of inflating the tire every day so I just had Tesla take a look at it when I took the car into the Service Center the following week. Tesla was able to repair it. I am out the $80 for the tire certificates but they cover the tires for the next three years or so, should anything happen.

Yes. I found the screw in the tire and took it to Discount Tire to have them fix it. Before they looked at it, I bought the tire warranty for about $20 per tire. They went out and looked at it and said they couldn't repair it so they would order me a new tire. They ordered a new tire since they didn't have the Goodyear Touring in stock. I got tired of inflating the tire every day so I just had Tesla take a look at it when I took the car into the Service Center the following week. Tesla was able to repair it. I am out the $80 for the tire certificates but they cover the tires for the next three years or so, should anything happen.

So the tire certificate/warranty is provided by the tire seller. For new Teslas with factory tires, one cannot buy the hazard warranty?

So the tire certificate/warranty is provided by the tire seller. For new Teslas with factory tires, one cannot buy the hazard warranty?
No. I bought the tire certificates from Discount Tire to cover the tires on my nearly new Tesla Model S. Discount Tire did not sell me these tires but they will sell a warranty because it brings them future customers. They also offer totally free tire repairs ( if the tire is repairable).

Good for you that they covered it and Tesla repaired it. I'm wondering, though, how did Discount Tire honor the tire warranty you bought when it was obvious that you bought it after the screw was already in the tire?