Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to replace a relatively new tire due to a nail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just curious: you said 600miles and no leak...what if the nail is short that it hasn't even got into the tire enough to cause a leak? Only way perhaps to find is do an xray :eek:

These days I drive up to a tire shop parking lot and then pull out nails/screws/etc that I was not sure about. Most times I have been lucky and they didn't go all the way through. Sucks to pull them at home and end up with a flat tire - been there, done that.

So the tire certificate/warranty is provided by the tire seller. For new Teslas with factory tires, one cannot buy the hazard warranty?

Yes, discount tire will sell a certificate on nearly any tire, even if not purchased from them. They make a ton of money on the certificates or they wouldn't be doing it. They get $38.50 per tire for hazard certificate for a Michelin Pilot Sport PS3 ($225 per tire new). So if you have one tire damaged by road hazard you have saved $72 on the replacement. I'm guessing that is still under their cost. Plus, you have to pay for balancing, valve stems, TPMS kit, etc for the new tire and of course new replacement certificate. Many times, they end up selling the other 3. They likely come out ahead in the majority of the cases.

It's not that close to the sidewall. It's repairable.

I tend to agree with this. Tire shops used to patch anything and everything. Then only the tread area was OK. After that, it had to be within the outer most groves. Now they also look at the date of manufacture of the tire. Sure, there is some risk. I'm wondering when they won't patch a tire at all.

I've ordered a plug kit to carry in the car.

IMG_1059.JPG
I feel your pain. Just several hours old and at the detailers getting everything known to man done to protect my new beauty, look what we found. Easily repairable at my Tesla SC thank GOODNESS

This might be case for Run Flat tires although I am not a fan of that technology when forced on us by BMW ten years ago. One day I picked up three nails in one tire when construction trash was dumped at the curb. The tire went flat in place so I didn't drive on it. I then used an inexpensive plug kit that I has used in the past many many times and the tire provided a full useful life. My logic was that the risk of a plug failing did not change the tire from being run flat and hence safe.

Personally I am OK with plugs in tires and even though our motorcycle comes with a plug kit I also carry an assortment of sheet metal screws which seal a nail hole well enough for an emergency fix at the road side.

Tire patching is a lot like religion, politics and text editors. There are many hardened options that all work just fine.

Had a screw in a similar location but only ~500 miles on the tires and I replaced the damaged tire. Wasn't worth it to me to risk it with a plug that close, yes it's possible and you may be OK and even get a gas station to do it for you (no town fair tire type place will) but I'm more risk averse especially toting around 3 kids.

Your case is trickier because you have dual motors and it has always been my understanding that you want the outside circumference to match for all 4 on an awd vehicle. Since the tesla is dual motors maybe you just need to change 2 tires to keep the drive axle consistent diameters? If you do that you can always hang onto the good one.

Alright, so here is the follow up / resolution of my story. I brought the car to a second shop in town (actually a recommended installer of Tire Rack). They also said they would not patch/plug it due to Dept of Transportation regulations. The owner actually wanted to charge me $25 for simply looking at the tire and telling me they have to replace it. When I asked why I'm being charged, he crumbled up the invoice, turned away and said "have a nice day." Wow, so much for the high ratings on Tire Rack and Google. They won't get my business or recommendation any time soon.

Anyway, so I reached out to Tesla. Eventually I brought the car to the Highland Park service center. Initially they (and I) were hopeful that the screw didn't actually penetrate the tire because by then I've driven over 1,000 miles with it and no leak. Unfortunately when they removed the screw, air started hissing out :(. Much to my surprise, though, they charged $180 for the tire (Goodyear Eagle Touring All Season 245/45R19 98W), which is much cheaper than $242.53 on Tire Rack. :rolleyes:

I'm very shocked that Tesla SC actually is cheaper than local tire shops to replace the tire. When it comes time to actually replace the tires due to wear and tear, I may return to them.

I've driven a lot of miles on tires with slow leaks. its not that a big of a deal to refill a tire with air every couple of weeks if need be. That's what I do until the refill time gets too frequent it is not worth the trouble.

I didn't have ANY leak with the screw in the tire, so it wasn't a matter of having to refill the tire every once a while. I debated about the possibility of just keep driving with the screw in place until it's time to replace all the tires. But ultimately I decided to replace it now because I didn't want to take the chance of tire blowout when I really need to go somewhere (or worse, causing an accident).

Yeah, I wish I was more handy myself...:oops:
I had never done one before. Figured worst case I'd have to buy a new tire, but that was the predicament I was already in.

Hardest part was taking the wheel off. Plug kit with all the tools was $10. After I was done, I became convinced that's some cheap insurance in a car without a spare and threw it in the trunk.

Got you beat. 369 miles on the primacies (just picked up the CPO a week earlier) and I managed to run over a wheel weight- the hold fashion kind. $385 to have Tesla replace. But, it enabled my wife to save a toddler who had walked into a busy street!

Attachments

• IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: JPUConn
I didn't have ANY leak with the screw in the tire, so it wasn't a matter of having to refill the tire every once a while. I debated about the possibility of just keep driving with the screw in place until it's time to replace all the tires. But ultimately I decided to replace it now because I didn't want to take the chance of tire blowout when I really need to go somewhere (or worse, causing an accident).

I totally understand. I've just had so many problems with my 21" tires, and now know too much about tires, that I would be totally comfortable taking the risk at this point. I was very close to a blow out 3 years ago... But I've driven with slow leaks many a time too...

The wife's 75 RWD just got a flat today. Looks like it was the handle of a plier. The car has Goodyear Eagle Touring, 245 45R19, 98Ws. Neither Costco or Discount Tire could fix the tire. Have placed an order with Discount Tire for $260. I was considering going with RS-A2 98V rated tire for $170 but they recommended not to mix tire ratings. Is it really that bad to mix?

Attachments

• VPSA9230.JPG
    VPSA9230.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3366.JPG
    IMG_3366.JPG
    613.1 KB · Views: 58