Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have we all been played by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Real Question is Who is getting Screwed.

1) People who reserved for 2+ years and now are in "supposably" the same queue as everyone else 3-5 months for LR.

2) People who configured their cars in April, May, June 2018 and didn't receive their vin yet compared to someone who configured on June 27, 2018 and got their vin June 28, 2019.... Yes yes the argument it could be a rejected vehicle blah blah blah. Don't matter... its under warranty they'll fix it.

3) The Majority of people who configured their Model 3 June 28, 2018, who's reservation isn't Day1-4 back in 2016, thinking they will get their car in 3-5 months and getting their 7500 dollar tax credit. If the reservation time is still in affect from Tesla... No official comment from Tesla then these people are sorta at the end of a imaginary line. I have call ISR, Talked to Customer loyalty, Talk to delivery people, Talk to dealerships they are all saying FAIR GAME... IT DEPENDS ON WHEN YOU PUT YOUR CONFIGURATION IN.

4) Shareholder/Wall street and Board Memory... There's a lie somewhere in this convoluted purchases...

Someone is getting screwed the question is WHO?

All valid points. Time will tell ...

4) Shareholder/Wall street and Board Memory... There's a lie somewhere in this convoluted purchases...
Well Tesla probably will have a record setting Q3 after selling 90% high margin performance Model 3s (If the can't make money Q3 I might become a short :p). Then they can raise a bunch more cash by issuing new stock. If it doesn't all work out shareholders are definitely getting screwed. I'm hoping that no one gets screwed though.
Actually, people like me who ordered white interior are getting screwed :mad:

I know some people are getting their cars earlier because trains must be packed full, car carriers must be full to be economically viable. It sucks for some people not getting their car; I get it. My father ran car dealerships for years, and he refused to take "reservations" or "orders" for high demand cars for this exact reason. I almost canceled my reservation back in February, but I am so happy I didn't. I got my M3 at the beginning of June, and I love my car. I just got back from a 2-week vacation, and the first thing I did was find an excuse to drive the car.

You waited two years, waiting a bit longer isn't a big deal. That was my reasoning for not canceling my order; it wasn't like I was going to spend the $1000 on something else, I didn't need it. I got frustrated from reading reports of all the people getting their cars here. Wait, it is worth it.

After one time of driving my car car my wife wants a M3 now. We will look at getting one for her sometime next year.

Not so sure that the stated 3-5 months wait is completely correct....

Comes down to what you look to order....

The RWD/LR models are getting filled pretty quickly.... I'm a rez holder from 4/28/16.... As soon as the gates opened and I got to configure (6/27), I got the 3 - 5 month listing.... and I wasn't very happy about it.

Come to find out that on 6/29, I got the call that I could take delivery on 7/17...

So, unless your looking for a P or an AWD, I would have to say that you have a lot less wait than 3-5 months with the RWD.

Reactions: mrongey and Koflach

The RWD/LR models are getting filled pretty quickly.... I'm a rez holder from 4/28/16.... As soon as the gates opened and I got to configure (6/27), I got the 3 - 5 month listing.... and I wasn't very happy about it.

Come to find out that on 6/29, I got the call that I could take delivery on 7/17...

So, unless your looking for a P or an AWD, I would have to say that you have a lot less wait than 3-5 months with the RWD.

I hope so too ... not waiting for P or AWD (but everything I heard here says P and AWD will be prioritized ahead of RWD as Tesla needs the $$$) :(

I am a 4/1/2016 rez holder.
Configured June 4 2018
RWD LR
Had a pickup window of 3-6 weeks after june 28 2018... it got changed to 3-5 months...
Don't know the logic behind that. I live 20 MINUTES from Fremont factory. I'm paying cash for my M3 crickets no responses. Called ISR they said 3-5 months.

Thats the funny part of all this... some people say TESLA is fine Financially. NO CASH GRAB... some say its a CASH GRAB... Some people say they are producing crazy amount of model 3 so why need to Prioritize P and AWD... since you're producing so many M3.

It's all shadow games ... in the end great car once you get it. THE HOUSE ALWAYS WINS

Reservation on 4/1/16 and i have configured LR -RWD on June 30 and est delivery oct '18-Dec 18. was it same as yours when you ordered? and did they update delivery dates few days after your have ordered? I am just curious how the process would be after Ordering.

Did you get VIN number after configuration or people usually get VIN number just before the delivery date?

My order delivery used to be around April - August and after I configured and ordered on June 30th, the delivery estimations are changed to oct -Dec 2018

Are model 3 delayed further? I am worried now that i may not get full tax credit :(

Reservation on 4/1/16 and i have configured LR -RWD on June 30 and est delivery oct '18-Dec 18. was it same as yours when you ordered? and did they update delivery dates few days after your have ordered? I am just curious how the process would be after Ordering.

Did you get VIN number after configuration or people usually get VIN number just before the delivery date?

My order delivery used to be around April - August and after I configured and ordered on June 30th, the delivery estimations are changed to oct -Dec 2018

Are model 3 delayed further? I am worried now that i may not get full tax credit :(

Wow. Looks they your delivery date got pushed back. I am a res holder since 4/1/16 like you. I was able to configure on 6/28. At the time LR RWD delivery time was sept to nov for me (same time frame as AWD). At that point, I selected AWD.

Why did we reserve 2+ years ago and hand over $1k in interest free loan to Tesla while folks who reserved less than a month ago are able to configure their cars while our estimates show Sep-Nov?

Shouldn't Tesla prioritize deliveries based on when the initial reservation was done? This is so bizarre.

:mad:
My sincere sympathies. You should cancel. I'm really happy with my five months of 3 driving. Sure glad I wasn't played, too.:rolleyes:

As to delays, it appears that Tesla has been producing cars and squirreling then away for distribution quickly after July 1st.... Now, I assume that these produced cars they have been hiding are batched LR/RWD models, as I haven't heard of any AWD being delivered yet.

Reservation on 4/28/16.....
Configured on 6/27/18 - 7:15pm EST (almost right after they opened the flood gates for configuration).

Midnight Silver - LR - RWD - 18" Wheels - PUP - EAP - FSD

Filled out all the paperwork at that time also (registration/location/insurance/trade-in (no)/finance(cash))....

Got email from Tesla 7:30pm EST confirming my order....

Tesla website (account) showed the Sept - Nov delivery dates (wasn't happy about this!)

6/29 -
12:20pm EST - 1st email from Tesla indicating they want to confirm my config and asked it I wanted to transfer a plate or request a new plate (requested a new plate).

1:12pm EST - Email from Tesla letting me know that everything looked good and I could schedule delivery. They gave me 7/17/18 and gave me a set of times to choose from (10am / 12pm / 1pm /3pm / 4pm).... I took the 10am.....

1:28pm EST - Email from Tesla confirming my delivery time and location and assign me VIN# 258XX.

To me, it's clear that my configuration matched a car that Tesla have been hiding until July 1st.... Although I don't know the exact manufacture date, it appears that my VIN was produced in late May/Early June. I am a tad nervous that the VIN is low, as I want to be sure that this car has the updated (V2) seats... But, that being said.... It appears from Troys VIN sheet that my VIN is consistent with a batch of the same configuration that are also scheduled for delivery this month.

Waiting 2+ years for this day has been painful.... But now waiting until the 17th is excruciating! Based on reading so many delivery horror stories here, I can only hope that the delivery date stays locked in (Tesla indicates that they could move that date based on transporting the car to my Florida location) and the car doesn't have any issues.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: vzaitsev
Is it just that they got a ton of orders before the July 1 deadline? I've been saving to increase my down payment and will be ready to pull the trigger later this month but now, instead of 3-6 week, it says that performance is 2-4 months out and other options are 3-5 months out.

It's been a little over a year since I sent Tesla $1k. But I never intended to take delivery before now, or even for the next 6-9 months.
Several reasons:
I suspect (believe) a lot of improvement has been made is quality control and fit and finish this past year;
I am waiting for an interior other than black or white (I have not heard anything different .... still waiting);
My trade-in still has too many good miles, but is on schedule to be ready to trade in 9 months;
Finally, I'm building a new house and this is not a good time to purchase an expensive new car.

Then I have been debating the LR or SR battery.
Yesterday Utah announced an enormous program of installing charging stations all over the state. Suddenly I'm thinking SR and saving $9k. (I'm a senior and I think this years 4k trip will be my final long distance trip.)

Is it just that they got a ton of orders before the July 1 deadline? I've been saving to increase my down payment and will be ready to pull the trigger later this month but now, instead of 3-6 week, it says that performance is 2-4 months out and other options are 3-5 months out.
It says that for everyone, and eventually it may/will be true. Many people have been getting their cars sooner because Tesla has a stock of them waiting to be ordered.

I wish that was the case. To a point it is true but its a hard pill to swallow when we have been waiting 9-10 weeks. If my car was stashed fine then so be it but no contact, no vin, nada.

I thought for sure on July 1st or first business day July 2nd but nothing. To add salt to the wound Tesla is not accepting calls or even when they answer nobody knows anything in regards to Model 3 deliveries.

Reactions: MissyMcBee
As to delays, it appears that Tesla has been producing cars and squirreling then away for distribution quickly after July 1st.... Now, I assume that these produced cars they have been hiding are batched LR/RWD models, as I haven't heard of any AWD being delivered yet.

Reservation on 4/28/16.....
Configured on 6/27/18 - 7:15pm EST (almost right after they opened the flood gates for configuration).

Midnight Silver - LR - RWD - 18" Wheels - PUP - EAP - FSD

Filled out all the paperwork at that time also (registration/location/insurance/trade-in (no)/finance(cash))....

Got email from Tesla 7:30pm EST confirming my order....

Tesla website (account) showed the Sept - Nov delivery dates (wasn't happy about this!)

6/29 -
12:20pm EST - 1st email from Tesla indicating they want to confirm my config and asked it I wanted to transfer a plate or request a new plate (requested a new plate).

1:12pm EST - Email from Tesla letting me know that everything looked good and I could schedule delivery. They gave me 7/17/18 and gave me a set of times to choose from (10am / 12pm / 1pm /3pm / 4pm).... I took the 10am.....

1:28pm EST - Email from Tesla confirming my delivery time and location and assign me VIN# 258XX.
on
To me, it's clear that my configuration matched a car that Tesla have been hiding until July 1st.... Although I don't know the exact manufacture date, it appears that my VIN was produced in late May/Early June. I am a tad nervous that the VIN is low, as I want to be sure that this car has the updated (V2) seats... But, that being said.... It appears from Troys VIN sheet that my VIN is consistent with a batch of the same configuration that are also scheduled for delivery this month.

Waiting 2+ years for this day has been painful.... But now waiting until the 17th is excruciating! Based on reading so many delivery horror stories here, I can only hope that the delivery date stays locked in (Tesla indicates that they could move that date based on transporting the car to my Florida location) and the car doesn't have any issues.

Fingers crossed.

Awesome !! I can relate to you in waiting for the car. I guess since your order was on 27th you might have a got delivery soon and there might be ton of people who have ordered in between 27 -30 th june.

Anyone who wants to pay for the high dollar version will be moved to the front of the line. Those who have had reservations for years will be pushed to the back of the line if want the advertised $35,000.00 version. Looks like the reservation game was for suckers.

Reactions: C141medic
There goes the full tax credit. Tesla has passed 200K in June 2018

Why We Believe Tesla Passed 200k U.S. Deliveries in June

YM
Article in your link thinks they passed 200k in June 2018
HTH!

Even then it explicitly mentions-

Your source said:
If Tesla chose to re-schedule or delay most of the deliveries planned for the last week of June, it might have been possible to push back the 200,000th sale to July.

Which given the huge # Tesla recently reported are now "out for delivery" sounds like exactly what they did.

And even then the credit wouldn't end until the last day of the following quarter from when they hit 200k