Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you been accidentally opening HomeLink Settings instead of opening your garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't see how this would work without some feedback from the garage door opener as to it's position. What if your door was already open and you had something underneath it? Sure would't want the car automatically closing it on something...

I like it how it is. It opens only when I want it to and never when I don't.

I would like Homelink to operate as with other GPS fencing operations, like the suspension. When inside the fence, open the friggin door/gate.

I would like Homelink to operate as with other GPS fencing operations, like the suspension. When inside the fence, open the friggin door/gate.

Can't see how this would work without some feedback from the garage door opener as to it's position. What if your door was already open and you had something underneath it? Sure would't want the car automatically closing it on something...

I like it how it is. It opens only when I want it to and never when I don't.

+1 jcaspar. I occasionally drive past my own house, e.g. driving from work to my kids' school to pick them up, and I wouldn't want the garage to automatically open when I do so. Or, my wife and I arrive home around the same time in two different cars - I wouldn't want the garage to auto-close when I approach if she opened it first.

Most of the time, sure it would be nice to have it open automatically when I approach, but the edge case is frequent enough for me that I can't see a good way to do it without some sort of input.

I've probably only done it 50 times and I've hit the settings button at least four times. Perhaps you just have extraordinary coordination or perhaps the rest of us are terrible at button pushing.
I hit the settings constantly. If I had the luxury of being able to stop in a driveway or something it might be one thing, but I have to hit the button while driving up to a gate where pedestrians may be about. I get one quick glance down and then have to jab the location from memory.

Even if not, the amount of area dedicated to that button seems to be less than anything else in the interface, and it's up at the top of the screen, which is furthest away from the driver. It's hardly surprising, and there have been complaints about it basically since launch. You'd think Tesla would have 1 guy whose job it is to knock out these trivial daily annoyances. That has to be a pretty minor change, and still it persists.

I open and close my garage door at least twice per day since March 2013 and not once have I ever hit the homelink settings button by mistake.

When I approach my house, I'm typically trying to open the garage while driving over the threshold bump where my driveway meets the street, and I'm crossing that threshold bump at an angle. That's where the problem comes in.

When I approach my house, I'm typically trying to open the garage while driving over the threshold bump where my driveway meets the street, and I'm crossing that threshold bump at an angle. That's where the problem comes in.
I'd just like to be able to press the button without having to stop and wait for the garage to open past the point of no return so that it will keep opening rather than stop at 20 cm.

I used to do this and I would hit settings on occasion, I think the only solution to this would be to greatly enlarge the buttons and remove the setting button. I now hit it after I cross the threshold and never have a problem hitting settings.