Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you been ICEd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I have my MS on order, I've been looking a lot more closely at EV stations. It's surprising how many ICEings I've seen. There's an office building that I park at fairly regularly that has several Blink stations and there seems to always be at least one space with an ICE in it. This is especially true when the EV charge stalls are in prime parking spots. It seems to me that to reduce ICEings, charging stations should be in less desirable spots - farther from the entrance of a store, for example.

Now that I have my MS on order, I've been looking a lot more closely at EV stations. It's surprising how many ICEings I've seen. There's an office building that I park at fairly regularly that has several Blink stations and there seems to always be at least one space with an ICE in it. This is especially true when the EV charge stalls are in prime parking spots. It seems to me that to reduce ICEings, charging stations should be in less desirable spots - farther from the entrance of a store, for example.

It has do with the location of the electricity. If the power is at the back of the lot, great.

i am sure someone has posted this (but I am too lazy to look it up)

In The Woodlands, Blink has three charging stations outside the Market Street store. It is in the bottom of the parking garage.

Anyhow, they have one of ths stalls marked as "Handicapped parking only - unless EV charging'

This is brilliant and would be perfect for every situation. I do not mind sharing a space-for-a-purpose with another space-for-a-purpose situation, and it helps prevent 90+ percent of those situations. In fact, on the blink reservation site in recargo, someone got ticketed in an ICE for being a noodle-head.

Just last night at the I95 Delaware Supercharger. Five spaces there and two taken by large SUVs. These spaces are very close to the side entrance of the rest stop so people feel entitled to park there. I believe I scared one away by taking a picture with my phone. Actually did it to show another S charging along side mine....but the ICE owner did not know that....

Just last night at the I95 Delaware Supercharger. Five spaces there and two taken by large SUVs. These spaces are very close to the side entrance of the rest stop so people feel entitled to park there. I believe I scared one away by taking a picture with my phone. Actually did it to show another S charging along side mine....but the ICE owner did not know that....

Just a reminder, if all the spaces are ICED then call Tesla, I saw this on their website: A non-Tesla car is parked in a dedicated Supercharger stall, what should I do? Please notify Tesla at 1-877-798-3752 http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Also I'm familiar with these types of people. Usually driving gas guzzling vesicles and/or have huge ego's. Some AMC theaters have fuel efficient reserved parking and a past friend parked there even though he has a gas guzzler car. He's the kind of person who would say "Who gives a ****" so I didn't say anything because the sign didn't say how fuel efficient. Plus, people aren't going to stop ICEing in till there is a fine.

ICE'd is one thing, but even more annoying is being EV'd...

At the long term parking lot D at SFO, they now have dedicated charging spots by the bus stops. Only level 1, but if you're gone more a few days, it's fine.

Anyway, I get there. The first two spots: one is occupied by non-charging plugin Prius, the other is too far from the plug (doh). The second two spots: one occupied by non-charging Model S, the other I grab (and plug in).

Some ICE drivers are oblivious, but EV owners that see charge spots as some sort of VIP parking... Words fail me. Kinddog, please help.

Sometimes they are explicitly labeled as EV parking. That means parking and not charging is OK.
That's bad in a number of ways. Bad enough that it blocks some one who needs a charge but worse is it gives the public an impression of elitism similar to EV HOV lane usage in CA. Sparks some backlash against EVs (and EV owners). I've already had one unpleasant conversation (Tesla? That's a status car. Why do you need to show off?) so I'm aware of the issue.

Some times there is contradictory signage. I used an EV charger this weekend. It had a sign "Tesla EV charging station" but it also was a handicapped parking spot complete with expected signage. It did not have the standard EV charging sign. Funny thing, it was a NEMA 14-50 plug. I used it but sat at a spot where I could watch the car. An overzealous cop would have ruined lunch for me.
tesla charging.jpg

I like the "Tesla EV charging station" sign and NEMA 14-50 by a parking spot though. Is that at a private business, or public parking lot, or where? I wonder where the sign came from--it even has the Tesla logo. Next time you're in the area, would you mind taking a closer picture of the sign and set-up? I would like to encourage it at restaurants, etc. in nearby towns.

It's at the Willows Inn in Woodinville, WA. It's a NEMA 14-50 plug. I pulled 200V/40A though it so it's a bit weak for a NEMA setup but, when it's free, how could I possibly complain. The sign is pretty simple, it reads TESLA (in their logo font) and Electric Vehicle Charging Station. The other sign is the standard handicapped "Reserved Parking" sign including the required marking on the pavement. I could not find anything on the Willows Inn web site. It's a nice location, by the way. 2 restaurants including The Herb Farm (top Seattle area restaurant) right there plus Red Hook Brewing raod house and several wineries within walking distance.

It's at the Willows Inn in Woodinville, WA. It's a NEMA 14-50 plug. I pulled 200V/40A though it so it's a bit weak for a NEMA setup but, when it's free, how could I possibly complain. The sign is pretty simple, it reads TESLA (in their logo font) and Electric Vehicle Charging Station. The other sign is the standard handicapped "Reserved Parking" sign including the required marking on the pavement. I could not find anything on the Willows Inn web site. It's a nice location, by the way. 2 restaurants including The Herb Farm (top Seattle area restaurant) right there plus Red Hook Brewing raod house and several wineries within walking distance.

That is kind of odd with both Tesla sign and handicap parking in same spot. Can they create an additional handicap spot next to that one or is it legal to put a sign 'handicap parking or EV parking'? That's very nice of them to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet and a Tesla specific parking sign though.

Some times there is contradictory signage. I used an EV charger this weekend. It had a sign "Tesla EV charging station" but it also was a handicapped parking spot complete with expected signage. It did not have the standard EV charging sign. Funny thing, it was a NEMA 14-50 plug. I used it but sat at a spot where I could watch the car. An overzealous cop would have ruined lunch for me.

While providing charging is nice, I think combining it with a handicapped spot is really dumb. I would bet not having a handicapped permit to park there would trump the fact that you're charging an EV (an an overzealous cop would ruin your lunch!). How hard would it have been to designate the spot just to the left as the EV charging location?

While providing charging is nice, I think combining it with a handicapped spot is really dumb. I would bet not having a handicapped permit to park there would trump the fact that you're charging an EV (an an overzealous cop would ruin your lunch!). How hard would it have been to designate the spot just to the left as the EV charging location?
Yeah. Ick.

The US States I'm familiar with do not offer exceptions for non-placarded vehicles for any reason. The space itself in the picture above looks clearly marked, so I'd expect to get a ticket -- it was good that the OP waited with the car. Also, in certain states, vigilantes can submit violations for ticketing and there are apps to facilitate that (look at How It Works | Parking Mobility)

You're right that marking that spot to the left would have been ideal.

Yeah. Ick.

The US States I'm familiar with do not offer exceptions for non-placarded vehicles for any reason. The space itself in the picture above looks clearly marked, so I'd expect to get a ticket -- it was good that the OP waited with the car. Also, in certain states, vigilantes can submit violations for ticketing and there are apps to facilitate that (look at How It Works | Parking Mobility)

You're right that marking that spot to the left would have been ideal.

To be clear, I sat at a table in the restaurant that had a view of my car. I have seen a number of handicapped parking spaces that are also charger stations (with the official signage and paint on the pavement). One is at a local college that I am affiliated with and I spoke to the President about it. He believed that it was a dual use space (OR, not AND) but I'm not convinced. The thing that is odd about that space, it is quite far away from the buildings (and across the main road into the college) so one could argue that it fails the accessibility test. One thing I don't understand, where is the controlling law (Federal ADA or State)? If it's Federal, then state legislation could not over ride it.

Not to mention the fact that having the charge cord lying over a pedestrian sidewalk is an accident waiting to happen!

Someone not paying attention could easily trip!

Aaron

Sometimes they are explicitly labeled as EV parking. That means parking and not charging is OK.

To close the loop on that, here is a picture from SFO. To your point, it says "plug-in vehicle only", not "plugged-in vehicle only". Still, I don't think that was the intent of the parking spot. Anyway, this car was here when I came and here when I left six days later, so depending on how far he/she lives from the airport, I'm guessing vampire load will give him/her bigger things to worry about than plugs and lines.

Skärmavbild 2013-07-10 kl. 13.51.14.png

Anyway, this car was here when I came and here when I left six days later, so depending on how far he/she lives from the airport, I'm guessing vampire load will give him/her bigger things to worry about than plugs and lines.

It's also possible (perhaps unlikely?) the car was plugged in to start and was unplugged by someone else at some point along the way. Did you happen to look for a note on the windshield for other EVs needing to charge?