Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you been ICEd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks goes to Chris Sharek for creating this. I printed them on business cards to put on windshields here in Florida.

ev parking.jpg

That sign that Tyl posted is indeed good. Most other signs seem to "Invite EV's", as opposed to "Prohibiting ICE's". I know that's not strictly true, but the wording is often soft, and the signage color, etc... don't have the look that folks are used to: "If I park here I'm gonna get towed"

Seems Tesla can't even get it right. What is this supposed to mean?

It means it's okay to ICE the spot for an hour.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this was an example of poor signage and the Toyota driver didn't even know he was doing anything wrong. I have come across this too, and one time had someone ask me what "those things" were. They had no idea that they were EV charging equipment. Still, the hotel should have held the spot for Doug since he specifically asked.

It seems that many locations are just "going through the motions" of being green, rather than actually being concerned that their customers have a good experience. That was about the worst experience possible. We ended up sleeping in the car for a while, driving in the middle of the night, and NOT being a customer of that hotel.

I always have backup plans in case of crap like this, but this was pretty darn crappy.

It means it's okay to ICE the spot for an hour.

Well, that just seems silly. You know people are going to stretch the whole 1 hour thing because, after all, who's going to police it?

We ended up sleeping in the car for a while, driving in the middle of the night, and NOT being a customer of that hotel.

I've done that a couple of times. The first time, I realized leaving the HVAC on was slowing down my charge rate. After that, I would just crawl under a blanket or walk to some nearby place instead of staying in the car with the heat on!

Well, that just seems silly. You know people are going to stretch the whole 1 hour thing because, after all, who's going to police it?

No idea why an ICE should park in that spot, but limiting an MS to about an hour seems right for an SC. They're not long term parking spots. I think the signs would be good if they just remove the word "except"

This pseudo-shared parking sign was, I think, required by the host business (Rabobank?!) at the Atascadero, CA (or, was it Buellton?) supercharger site given the limited number of parking spots there overall.

Wouldn't be nice to be ICEd for sure at an SpC site although this particular site along 101 is not purportedly as busy as the ones along I-5.

I have a slightly different problem where I live - I'm actually trying to encourage both ICE and EV, or, at least not discourage ICEs. On Monday the electricians will show up to install two Sun Country CS60s in the two parking spots we have designated. The problem is, I happen to live in a strata/condo that is also partly a hotel, and it has limited hotel (and resident!) parking. So when I proposed EVCS installation to the strata council, I included a commitment to find ways to designate the spots that would not unduly reduce the number of parking spots available to the hotel -- especially over the next while when the demand won't be all that great (read: very little, I'm expecting). The flip side to this is, I am thinking that when residents use the chargers (we have no residents with EV's at the moment), they will have to monitor and move their cars when charged up.

Here's a moveable sign that another hotel uses. We'll very likely use a variation on this to help ICE's park under the understanding they may have to move if a charger is needed. Further suggestions welcome!!
EVCS-sign-hotel.jpg

I'm sure we'll run into all sorts of situations that will require creative thinking to keep EV charging a positive learning experience for everyone. And of course, once the two stations are installed next week, I'll have to continue finding excu.... I mean... reasons that my wife will accept to spend a whole bunch of our savings on a Model S, and move away from ICE ourselves! I know, there's a thread for that.

Here is a small-town, hard-to-replicate, obscure solution that works very well.

In Salida, CO, I got the owner of the local craft distillery, Wood's High Mountain Distillery, to install a 70-Amp J1772. The distillery is in an old building that was a service station for ICE vehicles in the 50's. Because of that, it has a street side, roll up door. Because of the curb cut for the door, that area of the street is "No Parking." PT, the owner, knows the local policemen and police chief well. They always contact him to make sure that a car parked in the curb cut is not one of his customers before ticketing or towing. PT asked them ahead of time if it was ok to use this curb-cut, no-parking area for EV Charging. The police loved the idea. We got a free, EV-charging space, that is very threatening to any ICE that might consider parking there. :cool:

This is a win-win; PT loves to talk EV's with me, and I love to talk whiskey and gin with PT. :wink:

Attachments

• Woods.JPG
    Woods.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 425
I think much of this is a byproduct of locations not wanting to lose business at peak times when there's a chance that EV's may only be patronizing their establishment a small percentage of the time.

I'd be happy if businesses put EV spaces in less-desirable locations, as it would lessen the chance of ICEing.... not to mention lesser chances of door dings too. Unfortunately those are often spots farther away from the buildings, which means longer and more costly electrical runs for the install.

I have a slightly different problem where I live - I'm actually trying to encourage both ICE and EV, or, at least not discourage ICEs. On Monday the electricians will show up to install two Sun Country CS60s in the two parking spots we have designated. The problem is, I happen to live in a strata/condo that is also partly a hotel, and it has limited hotel (and resident!) parking. So when I proposed EVCS installation to the strata council, I included a commitment to find ways to designate the spots that would not unduly reduce the number of parking spots available to the hotel -- especially over the next while when the demand won't be all that great (read: very little, I'm expecting). The flip side to this is, I am thinking that when residents use the chargers (we have no residents with EV's at the moment), they will have to monitor and move their cars when charged up.

Here's a moveable sign that another hotel uses. We'll very likely use a variation on this to help ICE's park under the understanding they may have to move if a charger is needed. Further suggestions welcome!!

Thanks for breaking new ground for the Sun Country Highway! I'm amazed that despite Canada's size we have the most extensive high amp charging network in the world, built entirely through grassroots efforts like yours.

I know you've already designated the spots, but if it's possible try to position the CS-60s so they reach 2-3 parking spots each. This gives some options and will minimize the risk of being ICE'd.

Credit 'AmpedRealtor' for the sign I posted. It is the best one I've seen. I wish all EV spots had this sign because makes it perfectly clear that the spot is for EV's "only" and that you'll be towed if you are a non EV and you are parked there. The signs Tesla has at it's superchargers are??? Goofy! Here is the perfect sign again.
no-parking.jpg

I recently visited a Level 2 Charging station at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant. The establishment installed the charging station adjacent to a handicapped parking space, and relabeled the sign "Electric Vehicle Charging or Handicapped Parking". Since there are a lot of elderly handicapped folks here in Florida, that space will be perpetually ICEd. Meanwhile ChargePoint will continually report that nobody is using the charging station that the owner invested in.

I was in the process of making a 250 mile round trip. There were no Tesla superchargers enroute, and the restaurant was across the street from my destination. I planned to stop there for a 90 minute lunch, watch a little football and pick up about 30 miles of range (so I'd have a decent buffer for the drive home). Fortunately the cord was long enough, so I parked (illegally) between the two handicapped spaces (where the diagonal lines are), and waited for the handicapped driver to move his car.

Credit 'AmpedRealtor' for the sign I posted. It is the best one I've seen. I wish all EV spots had this sign because makes it perfectly clear that the spot is for EV's "only" and that you'll be towed if you are a non EV and you are parked there. The signs Tesla has at it's superchargers are??? Goofy! Here is the perfect sign again.
View attachment 39554

I'm exchanging some emails with Seton to see if they will arrange to stock this sign as a standard sign. So far they are saying I could custom order it, but I've made the point that they have 373 standard stock no-parking signs in their catalog, so adding one more should be easy and it would be a popular item. I'll post here when they respond. If Seton can make it easy to buy these signs, we can tell the managers at poorly-signed locations where they can get one. I might even buy a couple and stick them in the frunk so I can hand one to the owner on the spot when needed.

I took my MS to visit relatives in Virginia. While there I had no means to charge so I called a local Nissan dealer and asked if I could use their charger. He graciously allowed me. I pulled in and went to service and was told there was a J1772 outside Service and two next to Delivery. The one outside Service was ICE'd so I pulled around to Delivery. There were sales personnel there and about 4-6 customers. I had my window down and heard, "Oh WOW! What kind of car is that?" The salesman answered, "Oh he's probably just here to charge his car." Pointedly ignoring the actual question. As the customers began to slowly move in my direction, the door flew open and the Sales Manager beat them to my car. "Are you going to be charging your car here?" he asked. When I responded in the affirmative he quickly showed real concern for my vehicle parked in such a "high traffic area" and suggested I use the other charger. When I pointed out that it was ICE'd he quickly called Service and got that ICE moved. His concern for the welfare of my car :rolleyes:was greatly appreciated. When I was done charging I thanked him profusely for allowing me to charge there. For his part he thanked me for being so understanding.

Just got iced in my own driveway--sort of.

yrede6ep.jpg

The Tesla has been pretty good in the mild snow we got in DC, but it couldn't make it up my driveway to the charger.

Oh, well, I guess getting an electric car means some more exercise when it snows...

Just got iced in my own driveway--sort of.

yrede6ep.jpg

The Tesla has been pretty good in the mild snow we got in DC, but it couldn't make it up my driveway to the charger.

Oh, well, I guess getting an electric car means some more exercise when it snows...

Or get better winter tires. :wink: See Winter tire recommendations

Here is a video of my MS going up my driveway with Nokian Hakka 7's mounted:

Last edited by a moderator: