TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Have you checked on your car via app while at service?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gambit48, Jul 13, 2018.

1. gambit48

gambit48 Member

So, Tesla is gonna have my car for a few days while they work on some stuff. I've been checking on it a few times a day and wonder if things I've noticed is normal.

How accurate is GPS? It's looking like they keep it parked in the overflow parking outside. There's a gate, but it's not closed during business hours. Car is never locked.

Also, how many miles is a reasonable amount to test stuff that happens while driving? I can't remember for sure, but they look to be at about 30-40 miles in a day and a half.

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

dont worry about it too much. if anything does happen, its on them anyways

3. JPP

JPP Active Member

Usually Tesla turns off remote access when any Tesla is in their hands. Keeps the owner from honking the horn, flashing the lights, turning the car on and off, etc. Surprised you can still see it.

• Like x 1
  4. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Typically Tesla service will disable remote access to the car when they are working on it.

5. Dallas701

Dallas701 Member

I was able to see them driving it, charging it, and parking it. They only drove it a couple of miles. How long they test drive it could depends on the issue the car was in for.

6. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I had the exact same experience. The service center kept my car unlocked outside without a gate overnight among others. I was able to access the app for a few days before they disabled it. It was fun watching them drive it around the block and see how they keep opening the frunk multiple times.

7. Need

Need Active Member

If mobile access was not disable, they probably have not worked on your car yet. So those 20 to 30 miles...maybe to test out your problems or just out to get lunch or both.

• Funny x 3
  8. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Whenever my car has gone in for service, they not only turn off mobile data, but they also always unplug my dashcam.

• Informative x 1
  9. outie

outie Active Member

My previous X has seen the SC about 6 or 7 times and not once was mobile access disabled as of Jan 2018.

My 2018 X has been in service twice. First time mobile access was not disabled. Only the second time in July they disabled it.

10. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

It sometimes depends on the Service Center whether they disable remote access (and when) and if they disable dashcams. I would assume they are going to do both and unplug your dashcam so the delicate cables don’t get abused. (As a side topic.)

11. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Must vary by service center. Mine always leaves mobile access on. I check the car on the app several times a day, just to get an idea of whether it's being worked on our not. GPS is accurate. It's pretty clear if the car is in the service bay or just in the service parking lot. As for mileage added, depends what's being worked on. Cosmetic stuff should obviously have zero miles added. Pro Tip: if you bring the car in for service at end of quarter, expect it to sit in the service parking lot for several days or more.

12. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Summon it! :D

• Funny x 1
  13. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

I note my mileage. Las Vegas leaves mobile access on. I’ve only seen them go around the block to test it. Never seen it leave the area (taken home).

14. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

GPS is a LOT less accurate than a lot of folks give credit.
    I remember one of my GPS's which was more of a hiking one than mobile, if I left it on overnight, it would take random trips often over a mile away. You don't see that as much when driving, because there are algorithms that keeps them on roads. That's also when there are parallel roads, it often switches you back and forth.

15. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Do you also watch for black helicopters following you? :D

16. smak

smak Member

First time I brought it in, it was for AP issues, and they had to do a long test drive, and never turned off remote access.

I was watching them drive it, and they were within 5 miles of my work.

I thought they may drop it off ;)

Last time I brought it in, they disabled it, and did unplug my dashcam (and didn't plug it back in)

17. gambit48

gambit48 Member

LOL so today it never moved and they locked it.

I didn't do anything today, but that first night, I locked it as it was around 11 PM and unlocked. Figured no tech was burning the midnight oil out in the overflow parking lot. The GPS seems quite accurate when I had it parked at my house and my parents' house. Had right address listed too, which is usually an issue with Google Maps and Apple Maps.

I'm fine with them driving it if they need to test it. Just thought it was kind of pushing it. I would have thought 5-10 miles for 2-3 days is totally reasonable for testing my software issues, even if they're pretty common according to the internet.