Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you checked on your car via app while at service?

So, Tesla is gonna have my car for a few days while they work on some stuff. I've been checking on it a few times a day and wonder if things I've noticed is normal.

How accurate is GPS? It's looking like they keep it parked in the overflow parking outside. There's a gate, but it's not closed during business hours. Car is never locked.

Also, how many miles is a reasonable amount to test stuff that happens while driving? I can't remember for sure, but they look to be at about 30-40 miles in a day and a half.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Must vary by service center. Mine always leaves mobile access on. I check the car on the app several times a day, just to get an idea of whether it's being worked on our not. GPS is accurate. It's pretty clear if the car is in the service bay or just in the service parking lot. As for mileage added, depends what's being worked on. Cosmetic stuff should obviously have zero miles added. Pro Tip: if you bring the car in for service at end of quarter, expect it to sit in the service parking lot for several days or more.

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
GPS is a LOT less accurate than a lot of folks give credit.
I remember one of my GPS's which was more of a hiking one than mobile, if I left it on overnight, it would take random trips often over a mile away. You don't see that as much when driving, because there are algorithms that keeps them on roads. That's also when there are parallel roads, it often switches you back and forth.

First time I brought it in, it was for AP issues, and they had to do a long test drive, and never turned off remote access.

I was watching them drive it, and they were within 5 miles of my work.

I thought they may drop it off ;)

Last time I brought it in, they disabled it, and did unplug my dashcam (and didn't plug it back in)

LOL so today it never moved and they locked it.

I didn't do anything today, but that first night, I locked it as it was around 11 PM and unlocked. Figured no tech was burning the midnight oil out in the overflow parking lot. The GPS seems quite accurate when I had it parked at my house and my parents' house. Had right address listed too, which is usually an issue with Google Maps and Apple Maps.

I'm fine with them driving it if they need to test it. Just thought it was kind of pushing it. I would have thought 5-10 miles for 2-3 days is totally reasonable for testing my software issues, even if they're pretty common according to the internet.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC