Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you de-scummed your glass yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no IR coating on Tesla windshields. The IR protection is the vinyl layer in the middle that blocks it. Which is thicker with acoustic glass. His new windshield just didn’t come with the OEM scum.
IR coated doesn’t mean on the outside layer, it’s usually how they refer to the layer that has it applied. Just want to clarify I’m not talking about an outside coating. This is the layer that can have an adverse effect when light hits it a certain way

Attachments

• 674C8616-A99C-4F4A-A94A-915DC9133598.jpeg
    674C8616-A99C-4F4A-A94A-915DC9133598.jpeg
    664.7 KB · Views: 253
IR coated doesn’t mean on the outside layer, it’s usually how they refer to the layer that has it applied. Just want to clarify I’m not talking about an outside coating. This is the layer that can have an adverse effect when light hits it a certain way
I misspoke. When you said IR I was thinking UV. I think my roof has the IR coating but I don’t think my (OEM) windshield does nor has my prior Teslas.

I'm curious, would it make sense to carefully scrape the scum with a razor blade, before polishing?

I wonder if they'll do a special process to add the scum in Austin too. :)
It’s not necessary. It’s so hard to see and so thin it might not be that easy. It’s like something condense onto the glass. Like vapors from the paint shop or something.

I know one other member that used Bon-Ami to get the scum off. Not sure which one but I think it’s this one.

Here’s how I’ve been doing it for all my new cars. My BMW had the worse interior glass ever. Some clear adhesive streaking the inside, way worse than any Tesla I’ve seen.

-Clay bar the exterior glass.
-Use rubbing alcohol on disposable Scott glass shop towels to clean both exterior and interior. Good scrub on any problematic areas.
-Used a good glass microfiber with Adam’s glass cleaner to give it a final clean. Sprayway glass cleaner is also decent and easy to find.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Here’s how I’ve been doing it for all my new cars. My BMW had the worse interior glass ever. Some clear adhesive streaking the inside, way worse than any Tesla I’ve seen.

-Clay bar the exterior glass.
-Use rubbing alcohol on disposable Scott glass shop towels to clean both exterior and interior. Good scrub on any problematic areas.
-Used a good glass microfiber with Adam’s glass cleaner to give it a final clean. Sprayway glass cleaner is also decent and easy to find.
Did that. Won’t work. Clay didn’t touch it.
Tried magic eraser too.
Microfiber, as mentioned, the fiber in the cloth just pulls out sticks to the scum as the glass cleaner dries. It’s like cleaning a piece of rubber. Problematic area, is every square inch of glass. It’s extremely uniform which is why it’s so sneaky.

Glass polish works. Pretty damn easy to use and cheap.

My hunch is it’s clearcoat vapor that condensed on to the glass. Clear coat better not come off by rubbing hard with alcohol based products. It needs to be polished off. Glass is much harder and it’s extremely thin so very mild polish takes it right off.

It might not be clearcoat of coarse but it’s as tough.

I've detailed many cars and the Tesla windshield for whatever reason has this rubber like film on it, the regular detailing methods don't work; claying, eraser, invisible glass and even alcohol won't remove it. It requires polishing.

I used M205 to polish the windshield and it was so clean, however the interior has that scum on it too! I'm not sure I want to use M205 on the interior glass with my DA polisher making a mess everywhere, will try to use PlastiX and hopefully remove it by hand.

Not sure why some people don't have this issue and some others do, my car was built and delivered in the same week so I know it wasn't baked sitting in a lot somewhere.

I've detailed many cars and the Tesla windshield for whatever reason has this rubber like film on it, the regular detailing methods don't work; claying, eraser, invisible glass and even alcohol won't remove it. It requires polishing.

I used M205 to polish the windshield and it was so clean, however the interior has that scum on it too! I'm not sure I want to use M205 on the interior glass with my DA polisher making a mess everywhere, will try to use PlastiX and hopefully remove it by hand.

Not sure why some people don't have this issue and some others do, my car was built and delivered in the same week so I know it wasn't baked sitting in a lot somewhere.
Yeah, I think a lot of folks think they got it clean, just because they used a good regular glass cleaner. It fooled me for a long time, so I get it.

I agree it’s in both sides. Outside is much worse and easier to deal with. I hand polished the inside. Not sure I got it all, might do it again.

Yeah, I think a lot of folks think they got it clean, just because they used a good regular glass cleaner. It fooled me for a long time, so I get it.

I agree it’s in both sides. Outside is much worse and easier to deal with. I hand polished the inside. Not sure I got it all, might do it again.
I'm happy to report that I was able to do the interior glass in only a few minutes, I tried less aggressive method first using a plastic cleaner and to my surprise it took it off. Covered the dash and sprayed it with PLEXUS and worked it in with a microfiber, this is the way I will be cleaning the interior windows from now.

I'm not sure why the can of Plexus is over $30 now but I may grab the Honda OEM version (HONDA 08732-SCP00 Spray Cleaner and Polish) for under $10 for the sunroof. Tbh this should be on the top priority for folks do before PPF/ceramic coating, get your windows properly cleaned so it's safe to drive!

Reactions: Ormond and mswlogo
I'm happy to report that I was able to do the interior glass in only a few minutes, I tried less aggressive method first using a plastic cleaner and to my surprise it took it off. Covered the dash and sprayed it with PLEXUS and worked it in with a microfiber, this is the way I will be cleaning the interior windows from now.

I'm not sure why the can of Plexus is over $30 now but I may grab the Honda OEM version (HONDA 08732-SCP00 Spray Cleaner and Polish) for under $10 for the sunroof. Tbh this should be on the top priority for folks do before PPF/ceramic coating, get your windows properly cleaned so it's safe to drive!
Thanks for the update. What made you think to try it? What the heck is it?

I’d be curious now if it would if “chemically” cut through that was on the outside too.

Thanks for the update. What made you think to try it? What the heck is it?

I’d be curious now if it would if “chemically” cut through that was on the outside too.
I have a cabinet full of detailing equipment and I couldn't locate my plastic cleaner, so it was from laziness 🙃 was going to use PlastiX but the can of Plexus was closer and thought to give it a try since that doesn't require any pads etc. It's simple spray, work it in and wipe off. They use the stuff for airplanes and helicopters windshield and now I can see why, I've only used it on plastic parts like headlights in the past. Plexus Plastic Cleaner
plex.jpeg

The exterior glass I think it's easier to do it with a polisher since it's little effort with a machine, interior glass this is probably the best way, forget wasting time on regular glass cleaners. It also leaves a smooth finish since it does leave a protectant on it afterwards.

I didn't need to use glass polish to "de-scum" the outside of my Model 3's windshield. I used a new razor blade first, then a clay bar with detailer's spray.

Here's a photo of what I scraped off with the razor blade after pre-cleaning with window cleaner and paper towels. The substance is grey in color, except for the yellow bug splatter in the center of the photo which is what I missed using the window cleaner. I scraped some areas of the windshield from the interior too, but found no such substance coating the inside.

CleaningWindshield.JPG

Scraping using a new razor blade removed most of the substance, but not all. The clay bar took care of removing the remainder.

The substance is invisible under most lighting conditions. To see the scum, you need special lighting conditions which keep the interior of the car dark. I did this inside my garage with the garage door shut. For a lighting source, I used wall mounted light bulb fixtures as a lighting source.

You can only see the scum in or near the reflection of the light source. After scraping with the razor blade, the scum is even harder to see. If you apply a thin layer of window cleaner or detailer from a paper towel, the scum re-appears and resembles water spots.

Finishing off removing all the remaining "scum" with detailer spray and clay bar. The detailer spray acts as a lubricant for the clay bar, but to get the final layers of scum, you will want to use the clay bar without any lubricant, while applying detailer's spray from a paper towel in order to see where the remaining scum removal is needed.

Don't forget to do the area under the wiper blades with the car controls set to "Wiper Service Mode".

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Cool. It’s less work using polish with an orbital. Literally 15min.

Glad you got it off.

Maybe I’ll test a blade on the inside to see if it’s all off.

You are right about lighting. You think you got it clean with normal cleaning products until the light hits it just right and it looks a total mess.

I'm curious, would it make sense to carefully scrape the scum with a razor blade, before polishing?

I wonder if they'll do a special process to add the scum in Austin too. :)
Don't ever scrape glass with any ordinary razorblade it WILL scratch. Use something like carpro ceriglass to polish it (best use a dap or rotary) and finish off with IPA alcohol mix, not pure (not even 70%) as that can damage your clear-coat.

• Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
This might not help with the scum, but I use hydrogen peroxide to clean glass inside my home. It doesn’t have any odor. You can find HP in a spray bottles too, and it’s inexpensive. The HP is great for taking the film off mirrors and interior glass.

FYI I just got my new Y. I've only had it a few days, but if anything I thought the windshield was almost painfully clear. I just checked it in a darkened garage with a high-intensity flashlight and, sure enough, there is a film on there. But it only shows with intense light. I tried cleaning (inside & out) with Windex on a paper towel and didn't see any change.

I'll have to wait until I do some more night driving. So far I've only had it out on one night trip, and I didn't notice any problem.

Reactions: Ormond