Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you de-scummed your glass yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading several threads about the crap on the windshield it appears that two different issues are being described, so please help me here. Does it look like glitter when the sun hits the windshield at the right angle or is it like soap scum? Mine looks like glitter in the sun and some of it tiny white specs otherwise. It seems to be getting worse. Also one poster said he waited 6 months after getting his new car to allow for the “degassing” of the windshield before trying to get this gunk off. What’s that about? One poster said he complained enough to Tesla that they finally replaced his windshield. Has anyone documented this issue and filed it with Tesla? If this is a regular issue with random s cars Tesla needs to do something about it. I have tried several glass cleaners, steel wool and alcohol, soft bar keepers scrub and clay bar/clay lube all suggested by this group or Tesla service people. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone solved this problem by going to a detailed? Thx M

Same thing I said in my detailed first post. I find this is the easiest way to get it off. Scraping is more work.

It is recommended that you seal it after polishing it. It’s a lot like ceramic coat.
Yikes this requires a glass polisher but I fear I don’t have that skill. Also I am small and would have to sit on the Frunk to do this. I wonder how much it would cost to have a detailed do it?

Thx for the info

Yikes this requires a glass polisher but I fear I don’t have that skill. Also I am small and would have to sit on the Frunk to do this. I wonder how much it would cost to have a detailed do it?

Thx for the info
I kind of learned about it from a detailer. You’d have to be a midget to not reach ;) Put a little step stool on side of car. I had to use a step stool when polishing my X and every time I washed it.

You don’t have to use an orbital, but sure makes it easy. Orbital does give you a little more reach too. I buff out little scuffs all the the time. It’s pretty hard to mess this up. Most common issue is you spatter it all over the place. I put it in the pad and smear it on the windshield before I start it. Start it on slower speed until you get better at it. It’s harder to drive than buff your windshield.

I kind of learned about it from a detailer. You’d have to be a midget to not reach ;) Put a little step stool on side of car. I had to use a step stool when polishing my X and every time I washed it.

You don’t have to use an orbital, but sure makes it easy. Orbital does give you a little more reach too. I buff out little scuffs all the the time. It’s pretty hard to mess this up. Most common issue is you spatter it all over the place. I put it in the pad and smear it on the windshield before I start it. Start it on slower speed until you get better at it. It’s harder to drive than buff your windshield.
Thanks for the details, pad first so no splatter. I think I have a drill that will work for this or I can borrow one. Yes I use a little ladder to clean my car but it is still difficult for me to reach the center of the windshield, I am 5ft2in and shrinking daily. 🤣

Reactions: Prairie
I just ordered the Griot’s glass polish and pads as I also found it impossible to completely clean the windshield and rear screen externally on my new Model S. I do have a Flex random orbital polisher.

My question is do the side windows also have the scum as I plan on doing the front, rear and roof glass. Do I need to do the sides as well?

I just ordered the Griot’s glass polish and pads as I also found it impossible to completely clean the windshield and rear screen externally on my new Model S. I do have a Flex random orbital polisher.

My question is do the side windows also have the scum as I plan on doing the front, rear and roof glass. Do I need to do the sides as well?
I have not done the side. But it was on roof too.

Thanks for the details, pad first so no splatter. I think I have a drill that will work for this or I can borrow one. Yes I use a little ladder to clean my car but it is still difficult for me to reach the center of the windshield, I am 5ft2in and shrinking daily. 🤣
Well with a drill it’s harder because you need to be on top of it and probably use both hands to steady it. Drill would be fine on the side of the car. With an orbital you can use one hand and extend it out (like a squeegee). Orbital is like 12” long and skinny. So it gives you like 8” more than your arm will extended.

If you were doing the side a drill would be ok.

You put it on the pad first. Then smear the pad on the glass. Then start it. That way you don’t have a blob polish on the pad when it starts. You already spread it out in the wind shield.

You don’t have to push hard either.

Nice little tip. use some painters tape and tape off your pillars and edge of your hood. This will help keep potential splatters away. Allows you to get closer to the edge without worrying about your paint. The polish could take ceramic, or your wax off...

Works great on headlights as well when you polish them...

1668425715386.png

This is my "Before" picture. Probably the worst you've ever seen. This is the 3rd windshield that I have had with this car (2021 S Plaid) and every one had the scum problem although not quite as bad as the current one. The scum really shows up on a rainy night. I haven't finally decided which method of those I've seen in this thread that I'm going to use but I'll come back and report on what I did and the results.

(3rd windshield??? Yep. 1st replacement was from a crack due to a thrown up rock. 2nd replacement a few weeks later was when my car was in for service on an unrelated issue and it sat outside for days at the repair center, and then it rained, a lot. Service found standing water in the passenger floorboard from a leaky windshield and so they replaced the glass for the 2nd time. So this is my 3rd windshield.)

Reactions: narth327
Took my car to my favorite detailer. He treated 4 squares about 8" on a side. 1 with G4, one with ?? G2? I forgot, one with some kind of bathtub scum cleaner and one with a clay bar. Supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll go for a drive and test. If it doesn't rain at night I'll just throw some water on it while pointing at a bunch of lights.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Took my car to my favorite detailer. He treated 4 squares about 8" on a side. 1 with G4, one with ?? G2? I forgot, one with some kind of bathtub scum cleaner and one with a clay bar. Supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll go for a drive and test. If it doesn't rain at night I'll just throw some water on it while pointing at a bunch of lights.
When I did mine I could clearly see the scum line where the scum was removed vs not. Both on the X and the S.

Here it is again for convenience.

1668475532124.jpeg

Attachments

• 1668475472578.jpeg
    1668475472578.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 41
A note from a retired Air Force veteran who happens to be my dad. Spent years working the scum off A10s and F16 cockpits. Only thing I use on inside & outside of windshields.

Newspaper & windex. You are welcome.
Now I know why fighter transparencies last only a year or two.

I just scrapped a GA canopy. It only lasted 52 years with occasion cleaning with Plexus and Mirror Glaze plastic polish.

This thread was super helpful! I had Tesla service our car for a cracked back window and I also asked about the front windshield film. They just replaced the wipers which did nothing. Polishing with some microfiber towels and some sailboat hull polish worked like magic! I had an old bottle lying around so I figured I would give it a try.

I also can confirm that the replaced roof glass did not have the film on it, unlike the other top piece and front windshield. This must be something at the factory as others have surmised.

Interesting information in this thread.

I've always struggled using Invisible Glass on the inside repeatedly and didn't like the haziness from my windshield.

I will definitely pay more attention now when I pickup my S after I let it off gas a little bit.

It bothered me enough in my 3 that I would happily buy any orbital sander and equips that I need to fix it hehe.

This thread was super helpful! I had Tesla service our car for a cracked back window and I also asked about the front windshield film. They just replaced the wipers which did nothing. Polishing with some microfiber towels and some sailboat hull polish worked like magic! I had an old bottle lying around so I figured I would give it a try.

I also can confirm that the replaced roof glass did not have the film on it, unlike the other top piece and front windshield. This must be something at the factory as others have surmised.

A quick update, the scum came back on the next rainy drive. I ended up using glass stripper and an orbital polisher to finally get rid of the scum. Hopefully this helps someone else who runs into this problem. The scum on the outside from the factory is very tenacious and requires a fair amount of effort and the correct stripper to remove.

Reactions: RossRAllen