Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever got out of range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is the situation, I'm a barely new tesla driver (only a few months).

I had to travel international and I've left my car at an airport parking in south florida...
I've left it with 100 miles and never realized that it was going to loose so much energy on a few days.

Before leaving I've took some precautions:
put the Range Mode ON, the Smart Preconditioning OFF and the Cabin Overheat Protection off.
In any case, when I open the app the car has zero miles :(

So... what are my options?

Do I have to call tesla for an "official" towing company or can I hire anyone?
Should I go to the closest tesla destination or where? (I've check, the closest supercharger is 25 miles).
Do you happen to have any other idea?

Yeah, I know... I shouldn't leave it below the miami sun :(

thanks !!!!

If you get back and it is completely dead, you don't have much choice other than to call Tesla roadside assistance. If it has any charge at all, look on Plugshare and find the closest charger you can. They are literally everywhere in south Florida, so hopefully you can find one within a mile or two of the airport. Get there and plug in for an hour or two and that should be enough to get you to the supercharger (or maybe back home depending on how far you live from the airport).

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I'm more concerned about what might have happened here -- you said preconditioning and cabin overheat protection are off, yet it lost over a hundred miles of rated range in "a few days"? How many days are we talking about? Ghost drain with those off should be minimal, a few miles a day at most I'd guess.

I didn't know the app would still connect with the car at zero miles.
Does that mean the car isn't dead yet, or does the app not require the car to be powered to communicate?
So what does zero miles look like..... any warning messages, or red alerts, or does it just look normal except for zero range? I've wondered what happens at zero, but no need for me to experiment if you've already drained it. :eek:

HVAC shuts itself off after 30 minutes. So you'd need to keep turning it back on...
I've left mine in airport for over a week without problems, so really don't understand how 100 miles got lost in a few days.
Could be just a data glitch. Does the interior temperature look correct?

How many miles do we loose per day? Another disadvantage of EVs to keep in mind.:(
I lose about 1 or 2 miles per day, sometimes it doesn't even drop a mile.
My settings aren't necessarily the most efficient either. For what it's worth they are:
Range mode OFF, smart pre-conditioning OFF, always connected ON, energy saving ON.

OP, have you by any chance subscribed to a 3rd party app which connects to your car?
Also, a nice slow charge on the UMC would be what your battery needs (if the car is still awake enough to start a charging session).
See if you can get access to a power point and extension cord where you are.

Don't keep opening the app to check on it. Don't ask Tesla to check on it remotely. That just wakes the car up and makes it worse. Leave it alone, let it sleep, and don't worry about it until you get back, since there's nothing you can do about it while you are gone. Just be ready to wait for roadside assistance when you get home.

The traction battery will stop charging the 12V battery at 5% SOC, then the 12V battery will drain in something like 12 hours. (According to the manual.) If the car is dead, you need to charge the 12V battery before you can charge the car normally.

Another way to look at it - the car goes into a deep sleep, anti-bricking, battery protection mode when this happens. Your traction battery may be "dead" (0 rated miles), but not damaged.

Once you get home and recharged, call/email Tesla service and find out why it drained so fast. I've left the car parked unplugged for a week and only lost ~10%. Something is wrong.