Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever hit something on autopilot?

Have you ever hit something while on autopilot?

• Yes (please describe)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Yes, but it wasn’t autopilot’s fault

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 80 97.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, that’s good to know it was on AP2, thanks for the clarification. I googled ‘Jersey barrier’ and see that most of those seem to have a very low flared out base, so I can imagine how that would only contact the tire. Our zipper barrier has a much taller and flatter base, so I’m not sure it would react the same way with a tire. I took this photo this morning:

View attachment 611284

You can see how close the barrier gets to the cars in the left lane, and while this is about 3 feet, I’d guess, what makes me nervous is when the road bends to the right.

Anyway, I know that I should never get complacent with autopilot, but I’m relieved to see that there don’t seem to be a lot of people who have experienced the kind of autopilot failure that I fear most. And yes, I can always move over to the slow lane ;)
Yeah - honestly, if I wasn’t on the phone I would have caught it before it hit. You have to pay attention on AP and use your brain. Once you use it a bit, you get a sense for when it might have trouble or not