Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?

• No, never.

• Yes, once.

• Yes, twice.

• Yes, three times.

• Yes, four or more times!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Today I’ve kerbed my front wheel again :eek:

I’ve been driving for 43 years, and in all that time I’ve damaged one alloy wheel, and paid to have it repaired.

I’ve had the Model 3 just over a year, and this is the third time I’ve scraped one of the Aero wheels.

Are these the worst designed wheels ever? Or is it just me?

I don't recall this happening on other vehicles. The tires normally bulge out past the rims, which protects them.

My plan is to repair them each time I rotate the tires. It's relatively easy to get a decent, though not invisible, repair using a Dremel sanding drum and the paint kit available from Amazon.

Reactions: VX Foxy and Roy W.
My 19 inch wheels on my AMG were the worst.. They were satin black with the silver rim, so the slightest bump in a pot hole or anything would mark them. I had no idea how they would get marked, they just would.

Being two tone and diamond cut meant it cost a fortune to repair and it could be done only a few times. In the I didn't bother and only did them when I sold the car as I didn't want to spend the money, use up refurb "lives" only to have them marked a few months later

... don't ask a question like that ... of course it's you!! ;) (not really)

I think it's the way the tyre sits in relation to the rim ... maybe if the rims were a bit narrower there might be at least a hint of rubber to make contact with the kerb first. I've done it once and my wife twice ... but covered pretty well with The Ford Dark Shadow Grey CX touch up paint. It's not happened for a while so now I've mentioned it sod's law says ....

I don't recall this happening on other vehicles. The tires normally bulge out past the rims, which protects them.

I think so too. This modern idea of having the widest rims and the shortest amount of sidewall looks guaranteed to end in tears. There's a range of rim widths that can match tyre sizes and perhaps if Tesla had gone for a shade narrower rim with the same tyre size it might have been better.

Might be the tyre/rim combo. When we went winters which had a small lip on them, same marked size tyre, we didn't damage the rim when we picked up minor tyre damage that could be easily repaired. Seeing the damage (no idea how it happened), pretty sure that with the summers on we would have got the rim not the tyre.

I actually find the additional reverse cameras have helped me guage kerb distance better.

But I find when moving forward it can be hard to tell how close the front wheel is though.

I have to parallel park everyday with no street lamp, so pretty hard to avoid.

By the way, conclusive evidence that these wheels are worse than average - in other cars, if you parked a bit close and needed to turn the wheel enough to bump the tire on the kerb as you turn - well, the model 3 just gives a metal on kerb grating sound in the situation. It's a lovely sound :eek:

Today I’ve kerbed my front wheel again :eek:

I’ve been driving for 43 years, and in all that time I’ve damaged one alloy wheel, and paid to have it repaired.

I’ve had the Model 3 just over a year, and this is the third time I’ve scraped one of the Aero wheels.

3 of my four summer wheels and 3 of my winter wheels. Yes they are the worst designed wheel ever!

Reactions: Roy W.
Yes - every other week. For reference I only have street parking at home.

They are completely unforgiving. There is no tyre ‘bump’. If you touch the curb you scrape the rims unless you’re approaching at a very wide angle. I’ve actually taken to deliberately turning fully into the curb to feel it using the tyre as opposed to the rim.

Reversing in, with the cameras, is easier. I find knowing exactly where my front rims are very difficult though with the massive A pillars.

I don’t feel quite as bad given that every single M3 I walk past has rims that look like mine!

Curbed front passenger wheel. Aero cover untouched. Getting it replaced tomorrow. I don’t have the tools to fix it myself. Cost not too bad. 400 bucks including remount tire and balance the wheel.

As I write this I have m-techalloyrepairsscotland.co.uk in my drive to fix this:

20200822_163413.jpg

Will report back on progress shortly.