Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?

• No, never.

• Yes, once.

• Yes, twice.

• Yes, three times.

• Yes, four or more times!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to use touch up paint every few weeks to start with - but now with a small car park door dent and a few really small wheel scuffs - I’ve found peace in acceptance/my mind’s moved onto other things! Taken 9 months of ownership mind!

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts
Not lost on me....if I have the right show - I remember the intro-fellow walking on rice paper without disturbing it and having to lift the wood burner with his forearms at the end...ouch.

I obsess over software update checking now, rather than the rims...it’s an upward karmic kick every few weeks....instead of a downer when you notice a scuff (not washing it so often helps avoid noticing!)

Today I’ve kerbed my front wheel again :eek:

I’ve been driving for 43 years, and in all that time I’ve damaged one alloy wheel, and paid to have it repaired.

I’ve had the Model 3 just over a year, and this is the third time I’ve scraped one of the Aero wheels.

Are these the worst designed wheels ever? Or is it just me?

Sh!!t tyres without the rim protection bead. Before my Tesla purchase, I would not buy a car with tyres smaller than 65 rating on tyre depth. My pickup truck has 10" tyre walls. I drive over everything with impunity

• Love
Reactions: outdoors and Roy W.
While on holiday in Skye we visited the Coral Beach which was very nice, but the parking was appalling - not enough, and a myriad of potholes. As I was reversing back to let a car out my back end went down a very big pothole, more like an abyss, and I heard the car bottom out.

As well as a bit of minor rim damage on yet another wheel, this was the horrifying result:

2D90C2B6-B505-444C-8278-45F8C799CC98.jpeg

The other result was a tirade of very juicy expletives!

Thankfully the Tesla paintwork is better than I feared, because when I got home the marks polished out with Autoglym Super Resin Polish and a bit of elbow grease.

First proper trip out in new car, less than 100 miles, and ding.... front passenger alloy..

The tyres look like they have been put an a too wide alloy. The metal is the widest part of the wheel. Never seen that before..
Welcome to the club! Yes, the aero wheels are very susceptible to kerbing, they’re a very poor design. Mine is going in again on Monday for ally repairs...

No matter how careful I have been, kerbed hard the left back on a sharp turn in darkness this week. To my great pleasant surprise the rim protector worked! Honestly, I installed them for the looks since I did not believe that a thin piece of plastic can protect from kerbing, but it actually did! £25 worth spent!
IMG_2707.JPG

(photo is for illustration of rim protector on the back rear wheel)

On this topic, I kerbed both wheels on one side on my previous E350e at the same time during the automatic parking. Oh how pissed I was with the automatic parking! Commonly I am mad at myself but not that time!

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob
No matter how careful I have been, kerbed hard the left back on a sharp turn in darkness this week. To my great pleasant surprise the rim protector worked! Honestly, I installed them for the looks since I did not believe that a thin piece of plastic can protect from kerbing, but it actually did! £25 worth spent!
View attachment 612578
(photo is for illustration of rim protector on the back rear wheel)

On this topic, I kerbed both wheels on one side on my previous E350e at the same time during the automatic parking. Oh how pissed I was with the automatic parking! Commonly I am mad at myself but not that time!

We're those Scuffs rim protectors?

I've always been cautious about them. If them come lose they can flog the bodywork and cost more than a rim repair.