Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?

• No, never.

• Yes, once.

• Yes, twice.

• Yes, three times.

• Yes, four or more times!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a youtube review of these yesterday:

They're an inch larger than the standard aero covers so actually fully cover the rim of the alloy. Useful for preventing scratches to the alloy and for covering up any existing damage.
These look great, it does make me wonder why Tesla didn't opt to cover the actual rim with their design.

There is probably a business renting out a sacrificial set of Tesla wheels to new owners for a month!

For me, the USP for this product is that it protects the outer rim of the alloy wheel.

I'm thinking that the Rimetrix cover will be damaged in a way that you can't easily disguise .. even if damage is light .. because the whole face is very visible. Whereas when you scuff the edge of the alloy it's an easy touch up job so 9 times out of 10 that's all you would have to do. In the less likely event of a more significant rim damage then, yes, a proper refurb would be needed. Between me and my wife we've managed to scuff the nearside rims a few times but the Aero covers have never been damaged and all the alloy repairs have been done DIY for the price of the touch up paint.

Reactions: init6 and Roy W.
Saw a youtube review of these yesterday:

They're an inch larger than the standard aero covers so actually fully cover the rim of the alloy. Useful for preventing scratches to the alloy and for covering up any existing damage.
I agree, wondering how long this will take to reach UK. The shipping cost is around 80-100 dollars. Not sure about going with this BD wiring for delivery. Just took an alloy and dent protection cover for little over £300 so do not want to waste money on this. If anyone had ordered me they can do quick delivery then I can possibly cancel my alloy insurance and invest that in this start up.

The fun never stops. Just dropped off two wheels at the wheel place so they can repaint the fixed one (the paint they have seems to be an older, slightly darker and more metallic shade). They pointed out a number of marks on the original wheel so I wouldn’t blame them for damaging this. There’s regular marks on the the inside of the outer rim from the cover. Has anyone else noticed this? They’re not massively obvious, but if anyone takes a close look without the covers on they would notice the marks. Is this normal??

There’s regular marks on the the inside of the outer rim from the cover. Has anyone else noticed this? They’re not massively obvious, but if anyone takes a close look without the covers on they would notice the marks. Is this normal??

This?

This?

Wow. Not quite so extreme. Though the car’s only a month and a bit old, so maybe the real damage has yet to come. :eek:

Whilst exiting a dreadfully designed multi story car park, in a bid to not catch the offside kerb at the barrier, I caught the front near side wheel.
the architects who design these buildings should be put to death. The turn was tighter than a KFC drive thru!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and Cardo
Whilst exiting a dreadfully designed multi story car park, in a bid to not catch the offside kerb at the barrier, I caught the front near side wheel.
the architects who design these buildings should be put to death. The turn was tighter than a KFC drive thru!!!
I did exactly that at the entrance barrier. I took such care on one side and dragged the other side. The channel that they funnel you through is so narrow! The echo of grinding metal in the underground car park just added an extra cringe to the experience!

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
Touch up paint arrived. Perfect match
the rub down proved to be more than I was prepared to do there are two or three scores about 0.5mm deep and the alloy has been nudged up above the lip of the rim in one small spot. To rub it down, I’d be removing too much alloy for my liking. I’d rather have it done professionally in the future.
at least for now it’s pretty much invisible.

Touch up paint arrived. Perfect match
the rub down proved to be more than I was prepared to do there are two or three scores about 0.5mm deep and the alloy has been nudged up above the lip of the rim in one small spot. To rub it down, I’d be removing too much alloy for my liking. I’d rather have it done professionally in the future.
at least for now it’s pretty much invisible.
Which paint did you get and do you have the refresh?

Which paint did you get and do you have the refresh?
Mines a March 2020 with sonic carbon Aeros
paint from Amazon is:

TESLA SONIC CARBON NEU-106E​

TOUCH UP PAINT PEN TESLA SONIC CARBON NEU-106E ALLOY WHEEL REPAIR PAINT BRUSH CURBING (JUST PAINT)

Reactions: Roy W.
T
Do we know if/when the paint colour on the Aeros changed? Sonic carbon wasn’t available when I bought paint so I’m not sure if that’s the one for me in the future ( I used a recommended Ford colour.)
insideevs.com did a write up of RSymons Ltd YouTube video back in November 2020. The paint colour on the Aero's rim and cover were changed with the 2021 refresh.

Reactions: Cardo

car parks and drive throughs are the only reason I really want a 360 surround view camera

Reactions: Dilly