Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?

• No, never.

• Yes, once.

• Yes, twice.

• Yes, three times.

• Yes, four or more times!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is March 2020 and this matches perfectly see post #104

Mines a March 2020 with sonic carbon Aeros
paint from Amazon is:

TESLA SONIC CARBON NEU-106E​

TOUCH UP PAINT PEN TESLA SONIC CARBON NEU-106E ALLOY WHEEL REPAIR PAINT BRUSH CURBING (JUST PAINT)
So I acquired the above and tested it (admittedly on a piece of card) and to my eye it didn't look right when I held it next to the alloy - not saying it's wrong - I get that the card probably affected the colour slightly but I decided against doing it myself as I also noticed the damage went all the way around the rim of the wheel :(

I ended up going with someone else's suggestion of Daryll from M-tech Alloy Repairs Scotland - Daryll was brilliant - kept in good communications, turned up and took just over an hour to do the two wheels and they look perfect - would highly recommend them to anyone else who's in central Scotland and looking to get them repaired.

Got cut up this morning by a van on a roundabout that made me swerve and clip the rear offside alloy on the kerb! Later in the morning I repaired the damage using emery paper and touch up paint.
Then this afternoon whilst going down a very narrow street I touched the same alloy on the kerb!

I guess it's not been my day, today...

2021-06-18 17_20_40-Clipboard.png

After the second repair!

Today I’ve kerbed my front wheel again :eek:

I’ve been driving for 43 years, and in all that time I’ve damaged one alloy wheel, and paid to have it repaired.

I’ve had the Model 3 just over a year, and this is the third time I’ve scraped one of the Aero wheels.

Are these the worst designed wheels ever? Or is it just me?
Yes, it is a design fault in the model 3, , I have has mine a month and I have kerbed them all

Bugger. Been driving into central London for a while now to avoid the train. No bumps from being buzzed by mopeds, no scrapes on high kerbs in car parks using the cameras to try and judge, no bumps in narrow car parking spaces

Come home today and a neighbour a few doors down is reversing our and pauses when seeing me. I indicate to show I’m pulling into our drive, then for some reason look over to my house as though maybe to show her I’m here? And subconsciously I guess I steered the way I looked and Kerbed my front wheel in a big long scrape. Aeros untouched. Arse and damnation

Bugger. Been driving into central London for a while now to avoid the train. No bumps from being buzzed by mopeds, no scrapes on high kerbs in car parks using the cameras to try and judge, no bumps in narrow car parking spaces

Come home today and a neighbour a few doors down is reversing our and pauses when seeing me. I indicate to show I’m pulling into our drive, then for some reason look over to my house as though maybe to show her I’m here? And subconsciously I guess I steered the way I looked and Kerbed my front wheel in a big long scrape. Aeros untouched. Arse and damnation
Welcome to the club! (To be honest the slim edge that gets scraped is about as easy a home repair as you're going to get ... even a ropey patch up "disappears" quite well.)

Reactions: Mrklaw and init6
The S has a wheelbase measured in lightyears and my rims show everyone my inability to work out where the rear wheels go in turns. It’s a bit like docking an aircraft carrier in the local swimming pool.
And those curly lines mess up my brain when reversing: I wish you could switch them off.

The S has a wheelbase measured in lightyears and my rims show everyone my inability to work out where the rear wheels go in turns. It’s a bit like docking an aircraft carrier in the local swimming pool.
And those curly lines mess up my brain when reversing: I wish you could switch them off.
I had a similar problem with the MS I had. Dreadful turning circle and as you say the comedy lines didn't help.

I ended up putting tins of beans on the drive to try to figure out what the reversing lines were trying to indicate. Still seemed to bear no relation to the width of the car or the axle width.

Reactions: Wol747
I had a similar problem with the MS I had. Dreadful turning circle and as you say the comedy lines didn't help.

I ended up putting tins of beans on the drive to try to figure out what the reversing lines were trying to indicate. Still seemed to bear no relation to the width of the car or the axle width.
That’s exactly it - they don’t seem to say much more than how far the steering wheel is turned, which, since I did the turning I’m well aware of. They actually confuse the hell out of me and I always end up off cock. And they are so dominating they can’t just be ignored!

Reactions: HenryT
My mrs who rarely drives my M3LR kerbed my 19’s last week. I tried not to mention it. I really did. Note I wasn’t in the car at the time nor did she fess up. I did delicately raise her awareness of the damage. I was diplomatic.

She says she’s not driving it again.

rolls eyes.