Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever sat through a software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there have been lots of complaints about version 8 but I couldn't wait to get my Model S updated and so when my phone notified me that a new version was available I went out to the garage to install it.

Normally I start it and leave but this time I decided to wait in the car and see what happened.

It took about 15 to 20 minutes but the most interesting thing about it was the number of different lights that went of and on as well as the number of different sounds that the car made. You don't realize all the lights that the interior has and they all flashed on and off at some point. The car went completely blank just once for less than five seconds and then the show continued.

Version 8 has been installed and now it's time to check it out for myself.

I sat through one of the first updates I did on my car a couple years ago. All the things blinking and odd sounds were very strange. I decided to let it do its updates alone in the future. The process seems scary and crazy but has been 100% successful for me to date.

Does the car remain locked throughout the process? Does exterior lights flash? I'm wondering if it's safe to install the update while parked in a public place.
If I recall correctly, the car does remain locked, but there was a warning about the car alarm not always being on during the update process. But this was when I sat through the process 1.5 years ago. Since then, I've stopped doing it, because the HVAC turns on and off, and does get hot inside when the HVAC shuts off.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
I was in my garage working on another project one time during an update. The MS was quite entertaining with all the noises, lights flashing, relays clicking. I'd like to think that was all testing to be sure things still worked, and I guess all the big stuff (motors, brakes, steering) does work. It's the more subtle features that were allowed to bypass QA and testing.