Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you experienced HomeLink problems since 6.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The verdict! The memory cache in the door opener unit had gotten scrambled. After the garage door tension springs were replaced, the tech cleared the memory in the opener and reprogrammed the various remotes. Lastly, I deleted the previous Homelink tab in the Model S, rebooted the touchscreen, and created a fresh Homelink tab. Now everything works!

Hm. I didn't link it to 6.1, but I've definitely found HomeLink to be very finicky over the last couple weeks or so (which would correspond with 6.1) after it working flawlessly for 2 years. Sometimes I have to try it about 5 times for the garage door to open (and sometimes I get out and open it using the keypad). I wonder whether something in 6.1 is messing up the memory cache.

Hm. I didn't link it to 6.1, but I've definitely found HomeLink to be very finicky over the last couple weeks or so (which would correspond with 6.1) after it working flawlessly for 2 years. Sometimes I have to try it about 5 times for the garage door to open (and sometimes I get out and open it using the keypad). I wonder whether something in 6.1 is messing up the memory cache.

There still could be something to that. Though mine seems to be working now, the range is definitely limited, and it doesn't always work on the first try.

OK then, here's something else. I just re-routed the wire antenna on the garage door opener—to the way it was originally. Now the range and reliability have improved, both from the Model S and from the garage door remotes. I thought the receiver might get a better signal if the wire was hanging down in free space below the opener. This was not the case. Here's how I have it rigged now...

IMG_1423b.JPG

This antenna routing works much better. I wonder whether the metal chassis on top of the opener could now be acting as a ground plane, and that 4-inch-long tail at the top might match up better with the frequency used by the remotes. Any RF geeks out there?

Home link has worked fine through all the updates.....

In retrospect, I think my problems started after I received an incremental 6.1.xx update during a recent ranger visit. Prior to this, I had installed the original 6.1 update myself without any issues. The update the ranger did must have scrambled the stored Homelink data. While trying to diagnose the problem, I repositioned the antenna on the door opener, unwittingly creating a second problem!

Deleting the Homelink file in the car, then rebooting and creating a new Homelink file probably fixed the scrambled data problem, but the repositioned antenna on the door opener was preventing the signal from getting through. That became obvious when my other door remotes stopped working as well.

Putting the antenna back in its original position (as pictured in my previous post) did the trick. Now everything works again.