Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you had a Model 3 LR delivered in the last 4-6 weeks/Q3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR picked up Dec 9th, 8th digit in VIN is a 'B' and Registration document shows E5CD (I'm assuming that is a 75kw/h and as such, the old battery?)

Additionally, my car has only one reversing light, as opposed to the two being reported for similar timeframe deliveries.

Reactions: Oxstock
B and K in position 8 is the motor, the original motors and K being the new hairpin motors. There is no way to tell subtle battery size differences from the VIN (although you can via mytesla)

The hairpin windings are fractionally better from what I've read (~1%)

It's tough for those that get the older version but somebody gets the last of the previous version and somebody the first of the new, and when you make a million cars a year, those 2 cars were made about 30 seconds apart.

It's tough for those that get the older version but somebody gets the last of the previous version and somebody the first of the new, and when you make a million cars a year, those 2 cars were made about 30 seconds apart.
That's true, but people started to get the newer design in mid September. Now here we are in Dec and the old design makes a reappearance.

That's true, but people started to get the newer design in mid September. Now here we are in Dec and the old design makes a reappearance.
That is odd, I'd be looking at the manufacturing date (you can work it outmore or less fromt he last 6 digits and the exact model number using the MT3xx code embded in mytesla

My main point was really we're on page 3 talking about a motor vin character and talking to infer battery sizes when the two aren't directly linked and there's been other posts that explain how to work out the battery using the MT3xx code.

B and K in position 8 is the motor, the original motors and K being the new hairpin motors. There is no way to tell subtle battery size differences from the VIN (although you can via mytesla)

The hairpin windings are fractionally better from what I've read (~1%)

What is strange though is those with the letter K appear to have received their cars in September so assume a Q3 build. When myself and others have B and delivery in December - almost 4 months apart. Could well be ours, B, we’re built 6 months ago and have been sat in stock somewhere. Which if this were a Mercedes’ or BMW I would probably say yes this is possible but Tesla?

What is strange though is those with the letter K appear to have received their cars in September so assume a Q3 build. When myself and others have B and delivery in December - almost 4 months apart. Could well be ours, B, we’re built 6 months ago and have been sat in stock somewhere. Which if this were a Mercedes’ or BMW I would probably say yes this is possible but Tesla?
Have we assumed K is later than B and better? (Just checked and my 2020 is B is seems to be).

Some (wild) speculation..
Maybe parts availability at the factory? I thought they made the motors themselves so presumably not a supplier issue
Is their a concern over the K motors they need to address (I'm not trying to start a panic here, something as simple as software they need to work through like the problem they had with excessive cooling on the battery witht he LFP battery last winter which they've now fixed),
Maybe the newer battery is now being shipped but they've not resolved or had approved the design including the later motors with it (owners lose out on the motor but gain on the battery).

Pretty sure it won't be a case they've found a box of unused parts and need to use them up.

B here and app reports 331 @ 100%.

as an FYI at the weekend i did 220 miles / 80% @ 1-10 degrees all motorway, extrapolating => 275 miles / 100%. Moral of the story don't get hung up on battery size if range is your concern as in reality you'll probably never achieve it

Have we assumed K is later than B and better? (Just checked and my 2020 is B is seems to be).
K is newer China sourced motor with apparently different winding design. Possibly more efficient, possibly not able to produce as much power (but software limited anyway), and certainly cheaper for Tesla.

B has been around for a long time and is US sourced.

We still talking about lights here?
Actually both really. K motors appeared in Q3 and then B came back on nearly all early Q4 cars. This is more understandable as there are two manufacturing sources.

With the lights Tesla want to move to a single design across all countries which reduces their costs so that one is more strange that they are flip flopping.

That is odd, I'd be looking at the manufacturing date (you can work it outmore or less fromt he last 6 digits and the exact model number using the MT3xx code embded in mytesla

My main point was really we're on page 3 talking about a motor vin character and talking to infer battery sizes when the two aren't directly linked and there's been other posts that explain how to work out the battery using the MT3xx code.
27th October, picked up last week.

B here and app reports 331 @ 100%.

as an FYI at the weekend i did 220 miles / 80% @ 1-10 degrees all motorway, extrapolating => 275 miles / 100%. Moral of the story don't get hung up on battery size if range is your concern as in reality you'll probably never achieve it
I’m B, 333 @ 100% but apparently this value does change depending on your driving and charging habits.

I only do 20-30 miles a day, at best.

Having read this long thread I conclude it is all bollocks! There is no evidence of any larger battery in the UK!
All I would say is that my latest M3LR received in September is 100% better than my previous 2 M3s from 2019 and 2020.
The build is much better, the quality all round is much better, in fact it feels a premium car at last! We get great speeds when charging at
V2 and V3s at levels never achieved with my previous 2 cars.
Long live Chinese production - what an improvement!