Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you met the 'i hate all things ev' guy yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just confounds me. Does she forget to put gas in her current car? That's pretty out of the ordinary, unless she's filling up every day, in which case plugging in every day isn't any different. If she has any daily meds, does she forget those? Or forgets to plug in her cell phone? Or forgets to brush her teeth once a day?

Spare a thought for a mother of three :smile: It's definitely possible that many of our better halves have too much on their minds to remember to walk the dog, water the lawn, plug the car in etc. I do a nightly sweep up behind my wife (a mother of one) plugging her iPhone in among other things; will be doing so if and when she switches to an EV too.

My Volt reminds me via email and/or text to plug it in if it is not at 10PM. I'm sure they can easily do the same for the S. Of course if her phone dies before then because she failed to plug it in that's a different story. ;)

Since January I've forgotten to plug my Volt in twice. I forget about 2-3 times a year to plug in my phone. But with the 300 mile pack I am planning on getting it won't matter if I don't plug in for a few days.

You've obviously never met my wife. ;)

She forgets to charge her phone regularly... and has forgotten to get gas (although she was much younger back then).

- mnx

It's EV racism, I tell ya. No amount of discussion can change a person who just seems to have a bug up their ass about EVs.
But then they learn that kind uncle had also happened to be an EV...

I'm eagerly waiting for Top Gear's "unbiased review" of the Model S :wink: Maybe, the 3 'idiots' there will latch on to the 3-phase charging angle just to have something to gripe about.
No, that 3-phase stuff is beyond them. They'll be complaining that it would be much better if it ran on hydrogen.

I really like that. Someone needs to make a video showing a Tesla being built in America, charged off a hydroelectric dam, and beating a Mustang in a drag race.

+1! One of the best, 'patriotic' auto ads of late that I really liked was the one for this model year's Jeep Grand Cherokee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXAxMPugw3A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Something like this from Tesla (with some mention of foreign oil and wars fought for it) would appeal to even the most rabid pickup truck drivers.

I own an American car powered by American solar panels, and I don't see that I should be sending my money or my military friends and family off to some god-forsaken foreign county to protect the oil so that the terrorists can stay funded and a backwards regime can stay in power.

The average range I had in the morning when I had a gasser was less than the average range I now have every morning. With quick charge, even the drop-of-a-hat range issue goes away. And if they're travelling more than 500 miles in a day and claiming it's a road trip, they don't know jack about taking a road trip. This is an awesome country, with so many great things to stop at and see.

I can't abide the complete, total, and willful stupidity of the anti-EV bigots. I have yet to meet one that could think their way out of a paper bag.

(Edit: Better thought:
oil != freedom; oil == slavery;)

This just confounds me. Does she forget to put gas in her current car? That's pretty out of the ordinary, unless she's filling up every day, in which case plugging in every day isn't any different. If she has any daily meds, does she forget those? Or forgets to plug in her cell phone? Or forgets to brush her teeth once a day?

Complaints about time to charge or range I can understand, but the idea that people will forget to plug in their car every day or two absolutely escapes my comprehension. It seems as crazy to me as saying you couldn't switch from sandals to shoes because you'd forget to tie the laces. I'm sure it's a real fear, but I don't think it's rational.
Of course not, but then she's not required to put gas in that vehicle every night. Her current vehicle gives her a solid 50-100 mile forwarning when it needs to be refilled, then she "Plans" a trip to do so. Now, you and I, and even she, realizes that that is something of an inconvenience, but still it's something that need be done only every 1-2 weeks or so. And, if she does forget one day and then gets in the next morning and sees that she forgot (b/c there's a big red light and a message on the multi-display reminding her of such) it's quite easy to drive the 2-3 miles to the nearby gas station, top up and proceed on her way for the next 2 weeks.

If she sees the warning, forgets and doesn't see that her EV didn't get charged she has no means to "top it up" before leaving.

We have 3 kids, often they're rushed home from school, change clothes, off to soccer, back home, off to scouts, back home late for bed, rushed inside to get everyone to bed and the dog out, etc...and sometimes in that shuffle it's quite possible that something as esoteric as plugging in a car could easily be forgotten.

Look, this isn't going to be a big issue. I'll have the EV, we'll all get in the habit of plugging in and finding a way to set reminders at bed time and such. But to ignore the fact that for some people who's habits and lifestyles don't conform that this can and will be a barrier to one degree or another.

My Volt reminds me via email and/or text to plug it in if it is not at 10PM. I'm sure they can easily do the same for the S. Of course if her phone dies before then because she failed to plug it in that's a different story. ;)

Since January I've forgotten to plug my Volt in twice. I forget about 2-3 times a year to plug in my phone. But with the 300 mile pack I am planning on getting it won't matter if I don't plug in for a few days.
That would be a huge help--I'd just have the text sent to MY phone since it's me who's going out to the cold garage to plug it in anyway! And yea, she has a terrible time remembering to charge her phone much of the time.

The only scary angle to me is that the oil wars also 'fuel' the powerful military-industrial complex in this country which can lobby Washington DC into doing pretty much anything it wants. Without the need for foreign oil, there's little need for the govt investing in new military equipment, establishing military bases abroad and so on. A made-in-America EV does have the odds stacked against it unless the future holds the promise of "Lithium Wars" in places like Bolivia! But, I digress... :smile:

And no, I can't afford to have one car for commuting and one car for long distances in the mean time.

Edit: If my financial situation changes, though, I'd love to have an EV for commuting and possibly for shorter drives, and an ICE car for the longer drives. Who knows, maybe by the time Bluestar is out, I'll be able to afford to have both.

Interestingly, many married people think this way also. I have the wife's (boring) car for long trips, and the EV for me! Many people don't realize the solution is standing right there, staring them in the face. You give up nothing if you are a two car household by making one of those cars an EV. Better yet, get one with some real range and a back seat, and you may find you rarely use the ICE.

The only scary angle to me is that the oil wars also 'fuel' the powerful military-industrial complex in this country which can lobby Washington DC into doing pretty much anything it wants. Without the need for foreign oil, there's little need for the govt investing in new military equipment, establishing military bases abroad and so on. A made-in-America EV does have the odds stacked against it unless the future holds the promise of "Lithium Wars" in places like Bolivia! But, I digress... :smile:

I am banking on the desire for a growing economy fueled by some innovative durable goods (like EV cars) being produced in the USA, and hoping that will become a major motivator. Money can not compensate/bribe politicians if they have too many unhappy constituents, and at some point the writing on the wall will be unavoidable...

Look, this isn't going to be a big issue. I'll have the EV, we'll all get in the habit of plugging in and finding a way to set reminders at bed time and such. But to ignore the fact that for some people who's habits and lifestyles don't conform that this can and will be a barrier to one degree or another.

Don't sweat it, I 100% agree there's a genuine concern here. Thankfully though, the range tesla offers gives you a buffer in more ways than one. A txt message reminder would be cool, but like others have said, it'll become second nature.

Only took a couple days to get used to setting the alarm every night. If I don't remember hearing "Armed, stay." or look over and see a green light, I realized I didn't set it, but there's no panel to look at for an EV. A txt will do the trick.

Ummm, maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure why this is a concern. I had not owned an EV before the Roadster. I also was REALLY bad at remembering oil changes and other normal maintenances.

But I've never *forgotten* to charge my car. I pull in the garage. I plug in. I put a box on top of the car (that's a whole other thread, don't ask). I grab my purse, my briefcase, and go in the house. It's just part of getting out of the car.

It's no more second nature than remembering to get the bag of groceries out of the trunk. It's just part of getting out of the car. Before worrying about this, I'd suggest you poll current Roadster owners and see how many found it difficult to remember.

It's more likely that you'll find owners that thought their car was charging, but the circuit tripped, and they wish they'd been notified in some way.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Ummm, maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure why this is a concern. I had not owned an EV before the Roadster. I also was REALLY bad at remembering oil changes and other normal maintenances.

But I've never *forgotten* to charge my car. I pull in the garage. I plug in. I put a box on top of the car (that's a whole other thread, don't ask). I grab my purse, my briefcase, and go in the house. It's just part of getting out of the car.

It's no more second nature than remembering to get the bag of groceries out of the trunk. It's just part of getting out of the car. Before worrying about this, I'd suggest you poll current Roadster owners and see how many found it difficult to remember.

It's more likely that you'll find owners that thought their car was charging, but the circuit tripped, and they wish they'd been notified in some way.

My two cents.
Your box is exactly why I'm concerned... I have an engine block heater on my Prius that I pretty routinely plug in (different topic, but it dramatically helps FE). My wife is aware of this. She rarely drives my Prius, but on those times where she will be driving it I always try to remind her that it's plugged in and usually I'll do something like put the sun screen on the front seat leaning against the steering wheel, or leave a note on the seat, or some other "hint" that simply can't be ignored. But guess what--about 50% of the time she just moves the stuff out of the way and backs the car out of the garage without unplugging. Not b/c she's not bright enough, but b/c she's got her arms full of stuff, kids to get buckled in, and is typically in a hurry to go. I realize that the Tesla won't move while plugged in, but the point is that even with seemingly unignorable reminders--she manages to ignore them at times.