Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you noticed better efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting about 10-14 days ago, all of a sudden my March '15 S85D started using about 10% less energy on my daily commute. It usually takes about 360 Wh/mi going to work (uphill) and 250 going home (downhill). My long term average (last 5K miles) was 305 wh/mi but now it is dropping due to this "new" usage factor.

I did not get any software update. Still on 2018.50.6. Location is SoCal...although it is starting to get warmer, it wasn't a drastic change over this time...it has been Spring for this period.

I can't imagine why this is happening....I'm driving the same way I have been for all 4 years. It's as if they gave me a "4 year anniversary" gift of more range.

I would chalk that up to weather. Less cool during the overnight periods so the battery is at optimal temp when you are headed out.

Either that or driving style has changed.

Since there was no software update, and it likely isn’t “magic”, those are my guesses.

I would chalk that up to weather. Less cool during the overnight periods so the battery is at optimal temp when you are headed out.

Either that or driving style has changed.

Since there was no software update, and it likely isn’t “magic”, those are my guesses.

I understand your doubts, but I have been doing this exact same commute for 4 years in this same car, through all seasons. I've never seen any swing like this. Just checking if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

I understand your doubts, but I have been doing this exact same commute for 4 years in this same car, through all seasons. I've never seen any swing like this. Just checking if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Okay. So it’s magic? I don’t know what answer you’re looking for as no one else can recreate your driving habits/style and commuting pattern.

I can tell you, with certainty, that 4 year old batteries are not improving at this point absent any software tweaks. And even then it’s not likely.

Perhaps I was remiss in not mentioning that the TRIPS app is a permanent fixture on my console and I monitor the numbers every trip I take. I see your join date is a June '18. I also see from your recent postings that you are an inveterate troll. Bye.

Guess the laws of physics and reality aren’t applicable to your vehicle?

There was no software update and batteries do not get better with age. Stop trolling for an answer you want which does not exist.

Reactions: outdoors
I have seen a drop in consumption as well. I don't think there is a way Tesla could just flip a switch via software that would make such a difference. Warmer temperatures definitely help. Dryer air also makes a difference. But not too much. Honestly after owning my Model S for 5 years now I have seen these sudden and inexplicable changes in energy consumption a few times. Maybe a few things coming together on one day that add up. See if it stays that low. If yes, awesome, if not, it was probably just a few factors all coming together on a perfect day.

Reactions: ICUDoc
I've seen more of a sudden inexplicable increase in energy usage...I usually am able to drive around town getting 290-320 wh/mi and as of the last 2 weeks I've been at 360-380, even when I drive as efficiently as possible. The only thing different is maybe I have the AC on more often because it's warm out, but I don't have it set crazy high and I've definitely had it on in the past without such a big hit to efficiency.

I've always seen the best efficiency in spring and fall when temps are warmer, but not warm enough to need AC yet. The efficiency is OK in the summer. On cooler days I've seen the WH/Mi go up leaving the house, I suspect it's the battery heater kicking in on my way down the hill. In good weather I can get it down below 100 WH/Mi at the bottom of the hill, but I never break 100 in the winter.

Reactions: David99
Starting about 10-14 days ago, all of a sudden my March '15 S85D started using about 10% less energy on my daily commute. It usually takes about 360 Wh/mi going to work (uphill) and 250 going home (downhill). My long term average (last 5K miles) was 305 wh/mi but now it is dropping due to this "new" usage factor.

I did not get any software update. Still on 2018.50.6. Location is SoCal...although it is starting to get warmer, it wasn't a drastic change over this time...it has been Spring for this period.

I can't imagine why this is happening....I'm driving the same way I have been for all 4 years. It's as if they gave me a "4 year anniversary" gift of more range.

...Maybe a few things coming together on one day that add up. See if it stays that low. If yes, awesome, if not, it was probably just a few factors all coming together on a perfect day.

I'm guessing you drove in a tailwind more than normal for a few days/weeks. Climate change affecting trade winds perhaps.
Is it still better than normal or has energy usage gone back to your long term average?

Sorry you are being called a troll. People laughed at me when I reported my wh/mi dropping
to middle 260’s at 70 - 75 mph. It’s still true months later. Jerry33 pmed me that his was always in that range. My guess is that it’s more likely to be mechanical in the running gear like tight wheel bearings wearing in or some such.

Reactions: mejojo
This is data collected from over 3 years and 130,000 miles from a Tesla Model S.
This graph shoes the efficiency of the car at different temperatures. Between 65 and 85 it's most efficient (within 2%). A change from an average ambient temperature of 65 to 85 F isn't going to show a significant difference in overall efficiency.

tempEfficiency.PNG

Reactions: mejojo
I drove 20 miles today along a route I have taken many times. I go to this destination at least once a month, sometimes up to 4. The route has always been 20.0 to 20.2 miles, usually 20.1 on the trip odometer and in mild weather the Wh.Mi is usually around 285. Today the odometer read 20.3 miles and the Wh/Mi was 259. The lowest Wh/Mi I've ever seen and the highest miles for the route. I've chalked up the .1 difference to be mostly a rounding error as I always take exactly the same route to get there. The only difference being which side of the building I park on.

It looks like Tesla might have lowered the number of revolutions per mile by about 1%, though I haven't see an update in over 3 months.

I mapped out the route using two different route plotting sites. One said this route was 19.9 miles, and the other 19.8 miles, so it looks like Tesla was fudging a little on the high side to start with.

I got a new motor last week. Its using 10 more miles of battery. I've been on this trip to JAX and back a thousand times.
trip is now using 10 miles more of battery.
They said this new battery was more efficient , and more powerful.
I dont see either of those?

I drove 20 miles today along a route I have taken many times. I go to this destination at least once a month, sometimes up to 4. The route has always been 20.0 to 20.2 miles, usually 20.1 on the trip odometer and in mild weather the Wh.Mi is usually around 285. Today the odometer read 20.3 miles and the Wh/Mi was 259. The lowest Wh/Mi I've ever seen and the highest miles for the route. I've chalked up the .1 difference to be mostly a rounding error as I always take exactly the same route to get there. The only difference being which side of the building I park on.

It looks like Tesla might have lowered the number of revolutions per mile by about 1%, though I haven't see an update in over 3 months.

I mapped out the route using two different route plotting sites. One said this route was 19.9 miles, and the other 19.8 miles, so it looks like Tesla was fudging a little on the high side to start with.

If there were a long time difference between your 19.8 to 20.2, you might chalk the difference between a new tire and a worn out tire is a 2% circumference; or a 2% distance difference. ( I still don't know if Tesla uses some sort of GPS to calibrate or adjust their hall sensor speed readings). If there is no fancy calibration going on, your 19.8 miles on a new tire should show 20.2 miles on a tire with 2/32nds of tread left (i.e.: toast)

Done some burnouts lately?

Last edited:
If there were a long time difference between your 19.8 to 20.2, you might chalk the difference between a new tire and a worn out tire is a 2% circumference; or a 2% distance difference. ( I still don't know if Tesla uses some sort of GPS to calibrate or adjust their hall sensor speed readings). If there is no fancy calibration going on, your 19.8 miles on a new tire should show 20.2 miles on a tire with 2/32nds of tread left (i.e.: toast)

Done some burnouts lately?

I've never seen 19.8 miles on this route, that was from a website calculating the same trip. The best I've seen is 20.0 miles. I made the same trip a few weeks ago and it was around 20.1 then. And no wild driving, the tires have about 8K miles on them over the last year (new last May).

FWIW, my decreased consumption of almost 10% avg has continued. My "Trip B" (about 6000 miles) average was 306 and it has now dropped to 299 and my daily commute is running about 280 rather than 300+. The weather has continued to get warmer, but there has been no additional reduction to the consumption. I have another test to do for a possible explanation. But it is happening.