Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have You Purchased a Pre-Painted Bumper from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quoted like $1200 for the bumper and partial hood if I remember right.

I did the bumper and full hood myself for $367. The bumper is difficult hood is easy it's flat. I bought it on ebay and followed youtube instructions. It's not easy though so try at your own risk.

PPF is an arts and crafts project. So if your presents that you wrap look like crap, then your PPF will look like crap. There's just a few techniques to master to do a good job yourself. Once you learn them, you won't have to pay the ransom going forward.

Buying kits is not a bad idea, but if you're still learning, buy some bulk pieces on Amazon or eBay to learn the techniques and then just peel them off and throw them away. PPF doesn't stick the car very strongly until it's been on the car for a day or more, which makes doing tests easy.

For bumpers it’s still best to take it to a pro IMO - my local shop had to ball up several Model 3 cutouts before they got the hang of it, and these guys are the best in town. Did it myself but didn’t turn out quite perfect so I had them redo it.

I was quoted like $1200 for the bumper and partial hood if I remember right.
Maybe I'll just replace the bumper every few years. ;) We have several chips in the paint where trucks tossed up gravel in our path, and things like that. With the car being white and the underlying material being black, the chips really show up. I imagine with black or midnight silver cars, the chips are less conspicuous.

Of course the front bumper also collects thousands of bug splats, which serve to camouflage the chips. A warped reason for not washing the car!

I could also whip out the touch-up paint...

I’ve been wanting to do this for a few years for my model S. A few years ago, I got quoted upwards of 2k to replace the front bumper.

I did some plastidip and that helped, but if it’s 1100 I’m willing to pay for it. I will ask via the tesla app!

Maybe I'll just replace the bumper every few years. ;) We have several chips in the paint where trucks tossed up gravel in our path, and things like that. With the car being white and the underlying material being black, the chips really show up. I imagine with black or midnight silver cars, the chips are less conspicuous.

Of course the front bumper also collects thousands of bug splats, which serve to camouflage the chips. A warped reason for not washing the car!

I could also whip out the touch-up paint...
I just touched up my pearl white front bumper with the Tesla paint kit and it’s really not very nice. Had to really dab it on to make it opaque enough and now it just looks like white scar tissue. It’s less noticeable than black marks but I wish there was better paint.

FWIW, I tried to order a pre-painted rear bumper from my Tesla service center Initially, they stated they didn't "have the resources necessary in a timely manner". When I pressed that I just wanted to purchase the bumper and install it myself, they simply replied with "We do not sell painted bumpers, you'll need to seek assistance from a Tesla approved 3rd party body shop". This was after a week of them not responding to my service request and then simply cancelling it without any notification.

I am very curious about color-matching, ie if you get a red bumper pre-painted at (what sounds like a bargain price) will it match the car? Is there any sensor alignment or anything required?
This. Color matching and properly blending is something you can’t ignore. Yah it’s cheap but it’s going to be slightly off color. I would pay the extra cash to ensure it matches.