Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have You Purchased a Pre-Painted Bumper from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Just wondering if you have purchased a front or rear bumper for your model 3 pre-painted directly from Tesla? If so, how much did it run you? Do you have a service receipt? I have gone to a few body shops and the prices theyre giving me to repair seems high enough to consider purchasing a new bumper directly from Tesla.

Any insight would be awesome. How much did the bumper run you? Install? How was the overall experience? Thanks

From Tesla (Rocklin, CA.), part only:

M3 FR FASCIA SVC,PEARL WHITE MULTI-COAT-PPSW 1084168-S3-E Tesla Only, $365

Not sure what they charge for labor, but probably 1-2 hours, which would run $200-$400.

I had the same experience with the body shops. I think body shops really just want to save their bandwidth for the really high dollar jobs, and aren’t interested in smaller a la carte repairs. Body shop would also have the added PITA of having to paint the part. As of December, the painted parts (quoted above) are available only at Tesla and not at body shops.

Anyway, I’d be interested to hear what they quote you, should you pursue it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood

Not sure what they charge for labor, but probably 1-2 hours, which would run $200-$400.

I had the same experience with the body shops. I think body shops really just want to save their bandwidth for the really high dollar jobs, and aren’t interested in smaller a la carte repairs. Body shop would also have the added PITA of having to paint the part. As of December, the painted parts (quoted above) are available only at Tesla and not at body shops.

Anyway, I’d be interested to hear what they quote you, should you pursue it.
Interesting! $365? That’s a bargain, already painted. A side view mirror cost me more than that. Our front bumper is all full of tiny chips. I never even heard of PPF until well after some damage was done. Maybe a new bumper with PPF right away...

Can a mere mortal install a bumper? Or is it worth paying the labor?

Interesting! $365? That’s a bargain, already painted. A side view mirror cost me more than that. Our front bumper is all full of tiny chips. I never even heard of PPF until well after some damage was done. Maybe a new bumper with PPF right away...

Can a mere mortal install a bumper? Or is it worth paying the labor?
As an experienced DIYer I can tell you that I’ve never worked on an easier car (so far). Front bumper is particularly simple to remove... takes maybe 15 minutes. Look up some YT videos.

Just be very careful with the area under the headlights. There’s a long black plastic clip there with multiple attachment points that’s a bit reluctant to let go, but should be fine if you’re careful. I ended up breaking mine but a new one from Tesla was $5... look at epc.tesla.com to see how it’s shaped.

I was rear ended last summer, the damage was limited to a scuff on the lower part of the bumper and 2 small dimples from license plate bolts of the license plate on the front of the car that hit me. The other person's insurance company took a look and sent me a check for $1200 to replace the cover. I never got around to replacing the cover, and over time have simply gotten used to the scuffs. It's a bumper, after all.

So, the estimates here for about $1000 to replace the rear bumper cover sound about right. If Tesla will sell you one already painted for $365 that sounds like a bargain. I recently removed and re-installed mine to install the Eco-Hitch receiver hitch. It is a very do-able DIY job, and there are a lot of videos that walk you through the process. Look on etrailer.com's site, if you look at the eco-hitch, there is a 15 minute long video that walks you through the installation. 90% of the hitch installation is removing and reinstalling the bumper cover. It took me about 3 hours to remove the bumper cover, install the hitch, and re-assemble everything.

I do note that the pre-painted bumper cover will likely need to have the parking distance sensors removed from the old cover and transferred to the new one. I assume that they snap out and snap back in, but it might be more involved than that, I didn't have to worry about them.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
I had Tesla replace my front bumper with a prepainted one. After I dropped it off at the service center, the tech called to tell me they noticed a small scratch but would give me a discount to accommodate or order a new one, which would take a week. I went for the existing and it turned out great. The scratch was more like a smudge and eventually buffed our. I think the bumper was $750 with the discount so with tax about a thousand. Had my car back within a couple of hours. Looks brand new.

I am very curious about color-matching, ie if you get a red bumper pre-painted at (what sounds like a bargain price) will it match the car? Is there any sensor alignment or anything required?

I had my front bumper replaced under warranty because the paint match from the factory was hideous. The new bumper matches much more closely (still a good ways from perfect), but they told me they had to order a second one because their first replacement wasn't much better than the original.

So you better have them show you the actual bumper they have in stock against your paint before you pay for it, otherwise you could be better off with a respray. If you don't check it before install, you could end up with the fateful, "it's in spec" line that is their equivalent of a swift kick to your n*ts.

Last edited:
Can you show us a before and after pic
I had my front bumper replaced under warranty because the paint match from the factory was hideous. The new bumper matches much more closely (still a good ways from perfect), but they told me they had to order a second one because their first replacement wasn't much better than the original.

So you better have them show you the actual bumper they have in stock against your paint before you pay for it, otherwise you could be better off with a respray. If you don't check it before install, you could end up with the fateful, "it's in spec" line that is their equivalent of a swift kick to your n*ts.

Is that for the full front bumper cover? That's ridiculously cheap! Probably cheaper than generic aftermarket.

I recently replaced my rear bumper due to it being rear ended. The full rear bumper cover painted in factory black from Tesla SF was $900 plus tax. Had planned for them to install it as well as they quoted only .5 hour of labor, but they wanted me to sign liability waiver since my car is wrapped they were afraid of damaging it during install. So I put it in the trunk and did the install myself. Also had to replace the bottom "diffuser" right under the bumper connecting to the undertray, plus one rear reflector. Can't speak for color matching as mine is wrapped, but the finish itself nothing spectacular.

Same price for me in MD. Same part except in blue. The body shop is charging $154 for labor. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to DIY repairs. I've only done the basics but based on the videos, I'd probably attempt the replacement myself if insurance wasn't covering all of it.