Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you received any recall notice regarding the MCU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla to recall more than 130,000 cars following regulators' pressure

Following pressure from U.S. regulators, Tesla is recalling 134,951 Model S and Model X vehicles due to common touchscreen failures that can lead to the loss of several safety-related features while driving.

Cars that are part of the voluntary recall were made at Tesla’s plant in Fremont, California, and include Model S sedans manufactured between 2012 and 2018 and Model X SUVs in model years 2016 to 2018.​

My model X was produced late 2016. Not sure whether it's covered.

Tesla to recall more than 130,000 cars following regulators' pressure

Following pressure from U.S. regulators, Tesla is recalling 134,951 Model S and Model X vehicles due to common touchscreen failures that can lead to the loss of several safety-related features while driving.

Cars that are part of the voluntary recall were made at Tesla’s plant in Fremont, California, and include Model S sedans manufactured between 2012 and 2018 and Model X SUVs in model years 2016 to 2018.​

My model X was produced late 2016. Not sure whether it's covered.
If it doesn’t have a MCU 2 (it wasn’t upgraded to it recently) it’s covered. MCU 2 in original installations didn’t begin until March 2018.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Hi everyone, good morning!

I just searched for my VIN on the Tesla recall page. This is what came up for my car:

Recall Date| Feb 2, 2021
Refresh Date| Feb 2, 2021
Recall Number 21V035

DESCRIPTION
The eMMC flash memory device is rated for an industry-standard 3,000 Program/Erase (“P/E”) cycles. Over time, and depending on usage of the affected component, the eMMC hardware exhausts cycles for each NAND cell. When the eMMC NAND cell hardware reaches lifetime wear, as measured by the number of P/E cycles and remaining available storage capacity, the eMMC controller will no longer be able to maintain the integrity of the filesystem. This wear-out condition can cause failures of the center display software components, and may indirectly cause loss of the rearview camera display, defrost/defog control settings, and exterior turn signal lighting.

STATUS
Status Recall INCOMPLETE

SAFETY RISK
Safety Risk While we are not aware of any crash, injury, or fatality resulting from this condition, unavailability of the rearview camera display, defrost/defog control settings for purposes of ensuring visibility, and exterior turn signal lighting may increase the risk of a crash. For vehicles for which these functions are not available, drivers can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors when backing, taking care when making turns, and assuring clear visibility when driving.

REMEDY
Remedy In 2020, Tesla deployed several OTA firmware updates to address certain functionalities that may be lost when the eMMC reaches accumulated lifetime wear. Specifically, on vehicles equipped with: • FW release 2020.24.6.11 or newer, the defrosting/defogging settings will maintain the user’s selection for the duration of the drive cycle in which the eMMC wears out. On all subsequent drive cycles, the defrosting/defogging settings will automatically set the ambient cabin temperature to 22 degrees C (71.6 degrees F) and initiate windshield defrosting/defogging to ensure sufficient windshield visibility. In addition, all exterior lighting controls and chimes will continue to function normally after eMMC wear-out. • FW release 2020.48.12 or newer, the rearview camera display will continue to display on the center display after eMMC wear-out and an alert will now appear on the center display anywhere from one to six months before the eMMC reaches accumulated lifetime wear to notify most consumers of the wear status and to inform them that they should contact Tesla Service. As of January 22, 2021, 88% of all US vehicles affected by this recall report are operating all the aforementioned FW updates. Based on the above, Tesla believes that the aforementioned OTA FW updates remedy any potential safety risk presented by the eMMC wear-out condition. However, in the interest of ensuring the best possible ownership experience for affected customers, Tesla will also replace the eMMC on all affected vehicles or reimburse any affected customers who previously paid to replace an eMMC, Visual Compute Module (“VCM”) daughterboard, or MCU that was determined to be caused by accumulated wear of the eMMC. The eMMC is a component on the VCM daughterboard within the MCU. To be specific, Tesla will replace the VCM daughterboard that has the Hynix 8GB eMMC with a VCM daughterboard that has an enhanced 64GB Micron eMMC, free of charge.​

What I'm trying to figure out is how is this equal/better/less than/related to the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. I really want to do the MCU upgrade and was planning to order it the second I take delivery of my car (2017 MX) this week. Should I wait?

Jose

I bought my 2017 MX 3 weeks ago. According to Tesla my eMMC is still in a very good condition. I heard of other that they received an email and they could make an appointment. I did get an email yet but have the same recall if I check my Vin number.
I don't mind to wait and try to get a discount to do it together with the MCU2 upgrade.

I bought my 2017 MX 3 weeks ago. According to Tesla my eMMC is still in a very good condition. I heard of other that they received an email and they could make an appointment. I did get an email yet but have the same recall if I check my Vin number.
I don't mind to wait and try to get a discount to do it together with the MCU2 upgrade.

they will still replace your eMMC under the recall, even if in good condition. It will be lower priority as they currently have limited parts.

Why do you think they will offer a discount on MCU2 for the recall? They only people that will be buying MCU2 are people with MCU1 and every one of them is recalled. They did discount it $1000 around the same time as the recall announcement.

Why do you think they will offer a discount on MCU2 for the recall? They only people that will be buying MCU2 are people with MCU1 and every one of them is recalled. They did discount it $1000 around the same time as the recall announcement.

I they replace my eMMC this week and I come back for an MCU upgrade next week. I will be charged €1500,- and they have to take the MCU out twice. So logic tell me it is cheaper only replace the MCU. So some discount sounds reasonable.:)

I always can try.

It was worth it to you for $2500 and that is what you agreed to. If the price went up to $3500 instead of down to $1500, would you also be asking if you could give Tesla $1K ?!?! rhetorical
I love the upgrade.. faster, cleaner camera views... money wasn't the issue for me, it was reduced functionality, and unreliability for long road trips where we might get stranded... the part that I left out, is how I had to make 7 trips to the fuking SC to deal with this crap.

Would I like a lower price to reduce the BS of having to deal with Tesla SC tell me that they fixed something, only to found out the cleaned out the firmware and gave the same crap back.... I don't know about you, but my time is valuable, I would pay more if they would just it right the first time...

Reactions: GoCanes and elguapo
I love the upgrade.. faster, cleaner camera views... money wasn't the issue for me, it was reduced functionality, and unreliability for long road trips where we might get stranded... the part that I left out, is how I had to make 7 trips to the fuking SC to deal with this crap.

Would I like a lower price to reduce the BS of having to deal with Tesla SC tell me that they fixed something, only to found out the cleaned out the firmware and gave the same crap back.... I don't know about you, but my time is valuable, I would pay more if they would just it right the first time...
I received a notice that they’d let me know when they were ready for me. Which mean, “we (Tesla) will take forever in the hopes you get rid of your 2016 X before we need to replace it”. Though, I suppose they’d have to replace for a subsequent owner too.
My point is, Tesla will take their sweet time. There’s no chip shortage. You don’t see them slowing down production in other areas.

I received a notice that they’d let me know when they were ready for me. Which mean, “we (Tesla) will take forever in the hopes you get rid of your 2016 X before we need to replace it”. Though, I suppose they’d have to replace for a subsequent owner too.
My point is, Tesla will take their sweet time. There’s no chip shortage. You don’t see them slowing down production in other areas.
We'll I get the joy of going back again, they damaged the bezel around the screen (which they told me about), so I get another trip to the SC when the part comes in, and now my wife is bitching about not having FM, just found out they now make an FM module for $500, why didn't they ask me when they had the car in for the MCU upgrade..... hey dude, we are in your dash for the umpteenth time this year installing the new MCU, would you like the FM module????????? I would not consider getting just the updated eMMC card, we did that and it sucked....system crashed constantly, (that's if they actually did it, I suspect the flushed the eMMC) and told us it was updated... cause it got rapidly worse after.

Hopefully the Ranger can do the bezel, but who knows... its just a pain in the ass, when this stuff is basically computer hardware that is plug and play with a couple firmware flashes... I get the impression they are being told to use bandaids to make it work and get the car back on the road, but nothing in our house is bandaged up to work, its either new or outta here...

Good news is my wife stop bitching about the NAV crashing, voice command not working, screen freezing, blinkers not working, etc.... cause it all works great now!!!

If I didn't love this car so much it would be gone, but I can't find anything to replace it. I want the Plaid +, but if it comes with the same service environment... maybe not..

Reactions: bhzmark