Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you reserved your Model S or do you plan on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved mine in July of 09, #984. My biggest concern is AWD now - it was in the original car specs (AWD option available) but has pretty much disappeared since then. Leaving in a rust belt, RWD is not a viable option for me... and I am concerned that none of the prototypes show how the front wheels will be powered

I reserved mine in July of 09, #984. My biggest concern is AWD now - it was in the original car specs (AWD option available) but has pretty much disappeared since then. Leaving in a rust belt, RWD is not a viable option for me... and I am concerned that none of the prototypes show how the front wheels will be powered

From the very beginning Tesla said that the AWD option will not be available the first year.

Living in a snowy area of Canada, I've driven 4WD, AWD (no locking differential front-back), FWD, and RWD vehicles. I would have to say that list is in my order of preference, as far as winter driving is concerned.

That said, it is NOT so strong a preference that I wouldn't buy a RWD vehicle if it was otherwise attractive. That includes the Model S. The only caveat is that I would consider good snow tires an absolute must-have.

Of course you really should have snows anyway. (I've been known to drive AWD with all-seasons, but you have to replace them before the tread gets thin-but-legal; at that point they're really summer tires.)

Over here I'm pretty sure you get fined if you are using inadequate tires, that essentially mean all season tires have to be all-new or you change twice a year. That does give you clearly better grip during both winter and summertime. I've only driven FWD cars and they work nicely on snow. The Model S with it's more easily controlled torque and wheelspin should act nicely as long as you drive sensibly. There might possibly be need for a specific snow-mode which reduces power and sensitivity of the go pedal.

Cobos

It's all about snow tires. I have a 2WD Chevrolet S10 pickup I use for the winter. With snows all around, I've never even come close to getting stuck. Many people would realize 4WD/AWD is a lot of hype for winter, if they would just rediscover/try snow tires.

Though AWD has been shown to have handling advantages in high performance applications.

The difference between RWD and FWD is not nearly as large as it used to be.

Back in the day, the biggest risk with a RWD vehicle was that the front wheels would stop turning altogether when you applied the brake. Then you'd have no steering control, and say "hi" to the snowbank or the car in front of you. Modern ABS systems really do eliminate that problem.

The other big problem was the rear wheels slipping. Accelerator + black ice = spinning car, guaranteed. Years ago I got surprised by black ice while accelerating on a highway ramp -- at night, no street lights, I thought it was dry pavement. I did 2-1/2 donuts then pulled out of it going backwards at 70 kph. Luckily I stayed on the road and was able to stop safely.

That sort of thing simply won't happen with a Tesla; the traction control is astounding. I've taken a Roadster with summer tires onto a snowy road and floored it. The car accelerated gently, gracefully, and with no drama. Same thing when you lifted off; the regen gently decelerated the car. It was a thing of beauty.

Give the above I'm certain the RWD Model S will have no problems whatsoever driving in winter conditions. I wouldn't let that hold you back.

That sort of thing simply won't happen with a Tesla; the traction control is astounding. I've taken a Roadster with summer tires onto a snowy road and floored it. The car accelerated gently, gracefully, and with no drama. Same thing when you lifted off; the regen gently decelerated the car. It was a thing of beauty.

Give the above I'm certain the RWD Model S will have no problems whatsoever driving in winter conditions. I wouldn't let that hold you back.

Couldn't agree more. It's really that amazing. I'm not worried one bit about RWD in a Tesla even in snowy Massachusetts, USA (where we just had 18 inches / 46 cm of snow). I wouldn't take it out in the middle of a blizzard like I would a 4WD or AWD, but for everyday driving, no problem.

After being a bit disappointed buying a Roadster 2.0 only to have the 2.5 come out almost right after I made my purchase - I am going to wait until they do their first upgrade to the Model S a year or so down the road after the initial release - this will also give time for the 'bugs' to be worked out.

Couldn't agree more. It's really that amazing. I'm not worried one bit about RWD in a Tesla even in snowy Massachusetts, USA (where we just had 18 inches / 46 cm of snow). I wouldn't take it out in the middle of a blizzard like I would a 4WD or AWD, but for everyday driving, no problem.

after reading what actual owners of tesla roadsters have to say about winter performance, I'm actually very close to dropping the requirement for a model s with awd. I've driven rwd cars before (bmw 528i and lexus ls 460) and they have gotten pretty squirelly in the snow (even with snow tires). Tesla seemed to have designed a great traction control system and the model s should have near perfect weight distrobution.

Originally Posted by Laurent
Same here. I moved up 9 spots (from Sig 97 to Sig 88). I also have P144 but that one didn't budge.
I got an email from Tesla today informing me that my sequence number was adjusted to Sig #2. Clerical error? I did drop off a check at the Tesla headquarters on the very first day so #2 would make sense but I'm not holding my breath.

I just looked and somehow I jumped from #S170 to #S69. That's a huge jump. I can't imagine 101 people ahead of me dropping off the list and asking for a refund.

I just looked and somehow I jumped from #S170 to #S69. That's a huge jump. I can't imagine 101 people ahead of me dropping off the list and asking for a refund.
Just curious, are you in the US? Also, did you contact Tesla to see if that's accurate? I wonder if I moved up in line again too but it hasn't changed. Thanks.