Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you reserved your Model S or do you plan on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signature Edition Now Available in Canada

Now this is interesting... Tesla just announced the availability of the Model S Signature Edition in Canada.

Even more interesting:

Because we were not taking Signature reservations when you reserved your car, we'd like to offer you the opportunity to upgrade to Model S Signature without increasing your reservation payment at this time.

Apparently we will be required to pay the remainder of the $40k when we lock in our options three months before production. They will also allow you to back out of Signature at that time, and revert back to the regular reservation list.

You can guess what I decided to do...

Right there with you Doug! :biggrin::wink:

Now this is interesting... Tesla just announced the availability of the Model S Signature Edition in Canada.

Even more interesting:

Apparently we will be required to pay the remainder of the $40k when we lock in our options three months before production. They will also allow you to back out of Signature at that time, and revert back to the regular reservation list.

You can guess what I decided to do...

After the recent info update. I will definitely put down a deposit soon. I'm hoping to get my friends sig series spot if I can convince him to get a karma instead... otherwise will someone else give me their spot :biggrin: :biggrin:

From what I understand, 3 months in advance of production they will let us know what the features and options are and convert our reservation agreement into a purchase agreement, and at that time if we choose to revert back to our general production car, we will retain our spots. If we decide to switch when they call back later to confirm our options, then we get stuck at the back of the line. As long as I have a chance to see the price and features ahead of time, I think it's a good opportunity - no risk in upgrading. I was also told that Canadian Model S production will begin roughly 3 months after USA production begins - could be worse.

I'm worried that the oil industry lobbyists will convince our government(s) to regulate silly things on EV's (like mandatory minimum noise requirements), so I'd prefer to get my car sooner than later.

I received clarification on Canadian Signature Series upgrades: if we switch, and then choose later to go back to general production, they will "do their best to fit us back in close to our original number". One major consideration in actual production sequence is what those in spots around you are choosing for options - they will be building them in batches, and he did confirm that 300 mile packs will be done first.

I switched.

I stopped by the main sales office in Menlo Park and asked if we would lose our spot when switching to the Signature Series and was told, yes, the spot is lost! I was surprised as we would be giving them another $35K to hold for another year, the least they could do is let us make the decision after they announce the options and actual price.

I stopped by the main sales office in Menlo Park and asked if we would lose our spot when switching to the Signature Series and was told, yes, the spot is lost! I was surprised as we would be giving them another $35K to hold for another year, the least they could do is let us make the decision after they announce the options and actual price.

Per the FAQ section on Tesla's web site:

May I delay production of my Model S?

Yes. You will be contacted by Tesla approximately three months before production of your vehicle to select your options. At that time, you will have a one-time right of deferral. This means, should your life circumstances dictate a delay or a desired option is yet not available, you may relinquish your reservation sequence number and defer to a later position.

This seems to indicate spots are not lost; at the very least your signature order would be ok to delay. Of course it's Tesla making the rules so they have the final say.