Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you slept in your car?.... be honest...

Have you slept in your car?

• Yep... proudly and planned on it :)

Votes: 67 41.1%
  • Well... it was supposed to just be a quick nap...

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • No

Votes: 70 42.9%
  • I don't do road trips in my Tesla...

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just slept in the car yesterday :p

This was during the day so the custom Heatshield reflectors on every possible window in the car made it nice and dark, plus good for privacy. We both slept in the front seats which is surprisingly comfortable (for me) if I position myself a certain way (lumbar pillow against the passenger front door, front seat pulled super far forward, me sleeping perpendicular to my SO with my legs on his lap). Combined with a J pillow it was incredibly comfy!

He just slept in the drivers seat with it folded all the way back, also with J pillow (that thing is a godsend).

Screen shut off for good at some point and it started getting really cold. Didn't want to wake my SO so I turned on the heater from the app. Kept the cabin at 72 degrees which was perfect and made it feel very cozy and quickly induced sleep.

J Pillow: J Pillow, Travel Pillow - Winner of British Invention of the Year 2013 - consistently the #1 Best Selling Travel Pillow on Amazon.co.uk:Amazon:Home Kitchen

Lumbar pillow: Duro-Med Relax-a-Bac Lumbar Back Support Cushion Pillow with Insert and Strap, Gray:Amazon:Health & Personal Care

Heatshield: Sun Shades for 2014 Tesla Model S

Nope. Give me a hotel room with a bed, an ensuite bathroom and morning coffee. I like to wake up feeling refreshed and fit, especially on a road trip.

The only reason I'd sleep in a car is if I got caught in a snowstorm or something......and right there's another reason we live in Florida. :)

Our first real sleepover in the car was a prelude to a vacation. We were heading to the Caribbean from the Northeast for my daughter's spring break. The weather forecast was bad enough such that we left for the airport the night before and slept in the car until we woke up to clear security and board our flight.

Our first real sleepover in the car was a prelude to a vacation. We were heading to the Caribbean from the Northeast for my daughter's spring break. The weather forecast was bad enough such that we left for the airport the night before and slept in the car until we woke up to clear security and board our flight.

that's pretty brilliant actually.

On topic: just got back from a trip to Maine (my previous story involved the drive up), we end up sleeping some more in the car because the bulk of the driving was during our sleep schedule. We just slept at every place we charged, maybe 10 hours total! So much easier than finding a motel in the middle of nowhere at 2am.

Ok, hope this isn't TMI
Car camping out in the mountains while parked on dirt/gravel and in the rain (+ being a male) it is soo nice to be able to just pop the trunk in the middle of the night and kneel under the trunk lid while being protected from the rain and not need to put shoes on.

Definitely TMI. You should be ashamed.

I haven't heard that mentioned as a benefit of the falcon-wing doors yet, but there you go. And no kneeling required.

I've never slept in my Model S but this thread makes me want to buy an air mattress and give it a try:) Sure looks like it would be comfy.

It's even comfy without the mattress, but it's better with the new style footwell cover (the older style didn't feel so sturdy when laying on it.

We broke in the Model S soon after we got it (kind of a tradition with our cars).

I will admit it took us several months to get the courage to break in the Roadster. I guess that's another area where the Model S has a practical advantage.

Just slept in the car yesterday :p

This was during the day so the custom Heatshield reflectors on every possible window in the car made it nice and dark, plus good for privacy. We both slept in the front seats which is surprisingly comfortable (for me) if I position myself a certain way (lumbar pillow against the passenger front door, front seat pulled super far forward, me sleeping perpendicular to my SO with my legs on his lap). Combined with a J pillow it was incredibly comfy!

He just slept in the drivers seat with it folded all the way back, also with J pillow (that thing is a godsend).

Screen shut off for good at some point and it started getting really cold. Didn't want to wake my SO so I turned on the heater from the app. Kept the cabin at 72 degrees which was perfect and made it feel very cozy and quickly induced sleep.

I have the same problem, after about 20 minutes just as I'm falling asleep the screen shuts off and the car starts getting old (or too hot if during the summer) ...setting the temp on the iPhone app only keeps it on for another 30 minutes at time though.

anyone have any ideas on how to keep the climate control on for longer than 30 minutes at a time while parked and trying to nap?

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the climate control on for longer than 30 minutes at a time while parked and trying to nap?
Put your car in neutral and then set the parking brake on. You can then leave the climate control on the setting you want. Unfortunately, this trick will not work when the car is charging.

I recommend making sure the car is locked and your lights are off.

I have the same problem, after about 20 minutes just as I'm falling asleep the screen shuts off and the car starts getting old (or too hot if during the summer) ...setting the temp on the iPhone app only keeps it on for another 30 minutes at time though.

anyone have any ideas on how to keep the climate control on for longer than 30 minutes at a time while parked and trying to nap?

If you keep the door slightly open (ie: the first click as you're closing the door) it will still feel closed and you can still lock it but it will allow the climate to stay on indefinitely. Not sure if it will work with any door or just the driver side door. We were able to continue to charge while doing this and the climate stayed on for 8 hours. It's possible I'm remembering some things wrong as we were exhausted.