Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having a 12.75kW grid-tie system installed; how do I have to have it designed to have 2-3 PowerWalls added later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys - new to this forum and just wanted to get some advise from the pros. I am having a 12.75kw grid tie system designed. I cannot afford the powerwalls right now but want to design the system now to prepare to add 2-3 down the line. Any advise what I should ask for and push Tesla to do? 2 inverters instead of 1? Multiple arrays? Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.

Tesla is installing your panels without requiring you to purchase at least 1 powerwall?
In my area (Southeastern PA), Tesla removed the powerwall requirement with panels at least 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Quick screenshot of a current quote.

Screenshot_20210920-123603_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I placed the order with the powerwall but have the option to remove it as a change. I am going grid-tie for now then will dive in and buy the powerwalls when the battery technology is better. Just want to prepare the system now so I am able to just add 2 or 3 of them later and not have to replace inverters etc. Appreciate the help here!

I placed the order with the powerwall but have the option to remove it as a change. I am going grid-tie for now then will dive in and buy the powerwalls when the battery technology is better. Just want to prepare the system now so I am able to just add 2 or 3 of them later and not have to replace inverters etc. Appreciate the help here!

So, I dont have any specific recommendations on "what to do / ask for" for powerwalls later, because no matter what you do, you will likely be charged the same install fees as anyone else.

I do want to mention, however, that even with powerwalls, a PV+ Powerwall system is still completely grid tied. It is not "off grid", at least in the vast majority of installations.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Agree. Thanks for that. Just want to know best setup of those that have a similar system with powerwalls installed so I can request a similar setup to add the powerwalls later. Thanks.
From what I have experienced, trying to do things like this later might be either impossible, or so much more expensive. I thought I have wired to be able to add more PW's. But found out after, it would be super expensive to do, since wiring would have to be redone a lot

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Hi guys - new to this forum and just wanted to get some advise from the pros. I am having a 12.75kw grid tie system designed. I cannot afford the powerwalls right now but want to design the system now to prepare to add 2-3 down the line. Any advise what I should ask for and push Tesla to do? 2 inverters instead of 1? Multiple arrays? Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.
When mine was installed they added or installed a junction box where all the power converged from the utility. I was told that when I get a Powerwall that box would be replaced with the gateway. For now all it does is split off the power and my CT’s (Neurio)are install at the location as well.

When mine was installed they added or installed a junction box where all the power converged from the utility. I was told that when I get a Powerwall that box would be replaced with the gateway. For now all it does is split off the power and my CT’s (Neurio)are install at the location as well.
Cool - will be sure I ask about this. Super helpful. Thanks MCNE!

The main thing to be "ready" is whether your main panel (and, potentially, all backed up secondary panels) is rated to handle the PWs, since, to this non-electrician, code means essentially counting energy from PWs in addition to grid and solar.

To the extent just adding solar already requires an upgrade - just ask them.

The other thing is to consider the physical layout of where the PWs would go and where the additional conduit would go to get to and from them. The Gateway, as mentioned, is the size of one box, so its not really "getting ready" for it. Note from other threads that cities and utilities tend to not care where one puts the Gateway, but they absolutely do care where you put the PWs.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
The main thing to be "ready" is whether your main panel (and, potentially, all backed up secondary panels) is rated to handle the PWs, since, to this non-electrician, code means essentially counting energy from PWs in addition to grid and solar.

To the extent just adding solar already requires an upgrade - just ask them.

The other thing is to consider the physical layout of where the PWs would go and where the additional conduit would go to get to and from them. The Gateway, as mentioned, is the size of one box, so its not really "getting ready" for it. Note from other threads that cities and utilities tend to not care where one puts the Gateway, but they absolutely do care where you put the PWs.
Awesome breakdown - will add this to the list of things I need to address during the design. Appreciate it Southpasfan!

If you are planning to for whole house backup then there isn't much to do to prepare. @Southpasfan advice on planning for space is good. The one thing I can think of adding s that if you have to upgrade your main panel/load center to avoid "combo" meter bases/load centers. These are popular in California. Alternatively make sure you choose one that can feed through 200A.

Interesting share, thanks!...I recommend you get your powerwalls now if you can. I discussed going from 2 to 3 power walls at a later date and the service advisor said TESLA is not selling/installing powerwalls without solar array, so if you put more solar on your roof, TESLA would add a powerwall at that time.