Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having a heater issue and can’t find a solution. Hope someone else has gone down this rabbit hole and can give me some direction.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping someone’s had this same heater issue as me with my Model S. I can’t figure out what’s wrong

I have a 2017 Tesla Model S 75D and it’s producing no cabin or defrost heat.
Thankfully the heated seats and steering wheel work great or I’d be freezing. But it’s a bit hard to drive with a fogged up windshield.

Here’s what I’ve done so far and I’m hoping someone else might have experienced this same issue/rabbit hole. If you can’t point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

First started by doing a factory screen then car reset. No fix.
Checked the 10v heater fuse. All good.

Then I got a bit more expensive and replaced the PTC heater core, although the one I had didn’t have any issues.

I’ve had the DCDC fuses checked and they have no issues either.

No codes are popping up giving me any errors with the heater or generally any problem.

Got it in service mode from Tesla service and no codes came up this was either.

At this point I’m thinking it might be the HVAC controller, but I’d rather not just keeping buying parts and come up with no solution.

All vents blow air, the A/C does work.

At this point I’m at a loss and hoping for anything.

Thank you

I have contacted Tesla and the soonest appointment available is March 1st. Currently working with an independent Tesla service shop to try and find a solution. They're the ones that tested the DCDC fuses as well as the heater core.
We took it to Tesla service late at night to get it in service mode. Turns out there's a geofence around the shop and if you pull up close enough to the service bay doors you can get it into service mode. No new codes or issues popped up in service mode.

Upvote 0
I have contacted Tesla and the soonest appointment available is March 1st. Currently working with an independent Tesla service shop to try and find a solution. They're the ones that tested the DCDC fuses as well as the heater core.
We took it to Tesla service late at night to get it in service mode. Turns out there's a geofence around the shop and if you pull up close enough to the service bay doors you can get it into service mode. No new codes or issues popped up in service mode.
I worry with 300K cars getting added every quarter, getting Tesla service appointments will become even more challenging

Upvote 0
The only way I was able to get an actual person on the phone was lie and select option for new vehicle delivery. Trying to get ahold of service or parts went nowhere.
Any luck with your problem? I run a preowned dealership and regularly repair issues like this. We have the exact same problem. Finding it challenging given the lack of information available on the Tesla hvac system.

Upvote 0
Any luck with your problem? I run a preowned dealership and regularly repair issues like this. We have the exact same problem. Finding it challenging given the lack of information available on the Tesla hvac system.
I think my mechanic and I have figured out the problem. I order a new HVAC Controller RCCM (60073766-00-E) and an In-vehicle Temp/Humidity sensor (6007376-00-B). I'm bringing the car back to him tomorrow with the new parts and will update if this does infact fix the heating issue.

Upvote 0
I think my mechanic and I have figured out the problem. I order a new HVAC Controller RCCM (60073766-00-E) and an In-vehicle Temp/Humidity sensor (6007376-00-B). I'm bringing the car back to him tomorrow with the new parts and will update if this does infact fix the heating issue.
I don't think this will solve the problem.
frequent manifestation on mku tegra due to problems with firmware (2020.48.xxx version)

Upvote 0
I don't think this will solve the problem.
frequent manifestation on mku tegra due to problems with firmware (2020.48.xxx version)
So the PTC heater core had a short and popped one of the lines in the core, which we believe caused the HVAC controller to fry as well. Replacing all three did the trick. Unfortunately the night before I was to pick up my car an arsonist set fire to the building and my car is gone. Now to decide on another S or a new 3P…

Upvote 0
When my 2013 S had intermittent heat I put scanmytesla on it and noticed a thermocouple would read 50 degrees for a few seconds and then jump to 400 degrees for several seconds and back to 50 degrees. Whenever it jumped to 400 degrees the PTC would turn off. So I searched for which thermocouple and it ended up being inside the PTC itself. I bought a used one with compatible revision from ebay and swapped it out. My heat has been working fine since.

Upvote 0
Well we got the heater working. In the end the heater core did have an issue which caused the HVAC to fry. Not certain if replacing the temp/humidity sensor was totally necessary but I’ll never know. The night before I was to pick up the car an arsonist set fire to the building and my S if no more.
Hi,

We bought your car and fixed it.
Your service shop didn't fix the problem. They installed to you car the heater old model Tesla 2012'. It can't work properly.
And they didn't check DCDC fuse.
We fixed all this problems.
Thank you for FSD autopilot. 😉
If you are interested we are ready to sell this car.
It located in Sacramento, CA.
Thank you for good condition of the car.

IMG20220715111111.jpg

IMG20220719144159.jpg

IMG20220629173917.jpg

Upvote 0