Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having an electric scooter in the trunk to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In most shopping centers, there seems to always be a situation where there is Level 2 charging or Tesla superchargers, but you're not guaranteed to have the charging spot be in a walkable distance from your store destination. I usually leave a Segway scooter in my trunk so I can find free parking and use the scooter as the last mile transport. And if I don't feel like taking the scooter out, I just open the trunk in my garage and charge the scooter while its in the trunk. The only downside is that it takes up room in the Model 3 trunk.

The Dave and Busters in Northridge has EV charging next to the store, but they were taken but there was an open one that was kind of far from the Dave and Busters for walking. There was an available Volta charger on the other side but it be like a 10-15 walk. Usually it's ideal if there is a bike rack so you can lock up the scooter without bringing it with you. But sometimes there is no bike rack so your other option is to lock it up to a rail or bring it in the store. Also I was in LA that day and my friend's home had no charging option, so I was lucky to get free charging somewhere else that I was gonna be for 6 hours.

I feel alot EV owners would forgo getting a free charge just because the free charger was on the other side of the mall and would be a long walk. Or just a charge they could use if their car was going to be parked for several hours. I feel alot of compact entry level electric scooters have low range, but their compact size makes it perfect for last mile transportation.

EV cars should figure out a streamline way to integrate an electric scooter in the car. It be nice if I could charge the scooter while it's in the car so I can afford to take a smaller electric scooter and be able to top it off while in the car. It's the perfect way to take advantage of level 2 chargers that can be on the other side of the shopping mall of the store you want to be at.

Last edited:
While I don't agree with the sentiment that EVs should integrate an electric scooter, presumably for the 0.1% of their customer base that wants that and doesn't mind the semi-permanent loss of trunk space, I wonder if a 12V supply run off the cigarette lighter or other convenient source would be enough to charge yours. That's something like 120W, if its allowed to draw 10A

Reactions: APotatoGod