Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having hard time using percentage over miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PErcentage is objectively worse, yes. However I choose it over distance so I stop stressing about that number changing so often. IT also removes me from worrying about a false degradation because the indicator isn't that reliable. To each his own.

We could show kWh, like a gas tank would show liters / gallons. Even that is an approximation in EVs. The BMS knows it because it's used to show kms/miles.

Reactions: hgmichna
Add my vote for showing kWh. But we won't get it, because then there would be yet another service issue: "Why is my fully charged battery showing 50.6 kWh instead of the original 53.0?" We have that situation already with the miles display.

Certainly not everyone. I sure don't. Percentage isn't informative at all, but some people need it to avoid stress. But you will find both camps, just like Apple versus Android.

Yes, % is arbitrary, which is why it's not really useful. How much is a %? Well that depends on whether it's a 200 mile car or a 300 mile car or a 400 mile car, etc.

I can't really help you get better with using percentage, because the very reason people recommend using percentage is to not know.

What gets people upset with the "rated miles" is that they are determined to think it is supposed to be exactly equal to their driven miles, and when it's not, they get angry. If you can let yourself not become attached to that and be comfortable with it always being generally higher than real miles, then it's easy to eyeball it and get an idea of how much you have left. It works for the laid back people, but definitely not for the uptight.
AMEN to all that.

I can take my percentage and multiply it by 3 in the worse of winter (100% = 300km for a car that should do 500km) or 4 in general driving. If I take rated kilometers, I need to either take 60% or 80% of that which is somewhat harder to do in my head :) There's one advantage of percentage.

I don't have a custom-made battery capacity just for me though ;) It's a model 3 LR AWD but it roughly applies to the performance models too, as well as most Ys (~75kWh). It's no use trying to come up with a precise distance when so many factors will affect that once you drive, it's a guesstimate. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. I just added one reason why percentage might work as well as rated distance for some people, like me.
kWh (if it was possible), percentage and rated range all have significant flaws. Others have explained it all. I personally never ever get the rated range so it's not any better than percentage. The trick is to be able to convert it into reasonable usable range for your personal situation. I find multiplication easier than division (multiplying by a fraction).

Reactions: frankvb