Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having owned a Model Y would you consider the F-150 lightening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up one soon and I am not sure if I should keep the Model Y or trade it in.

Obviously two different vehicles but I think both can serve their own purpose.

Has anybody consider the Lightning? Would you give up The Model Y for one?

Picking up one soon and I am not sure if I should keep the Model Y or trade it in.

Obviously two different vehicles but I think both can serve their own purpose.

Has anybody consider the Lightning? Would you give up The Model Y for one?
I just picked up my MYP on Monday. I also pick up my lightning in 2 weeks.

Same boat as you, i'll see what i like more and just sell the other. The lightning should be an easier sell since it's pretty much sold out

For making a comparison, I think that the future Cyberruck, and the Rivian R1T, woulbe a better choice than the Model Y.

I was just looking at this video, efficiency seems to big a big issue so you need to charge quite often.
I was not surprised about this when looking at the shape of the front end.

But at least the F 150 has a frunk as large as the trunk of a car, something quite usefull in the case of a pickup truck:

Here Is Why the Ford F-150 Lightning Sucks at Road Trips & It's Not What You're Thinking!

Reactions: bobbyjae
I own a 3 and Y and a good friend just got a Lightning.
Very nice truck, drives like an EV truck ( which is fine) and very powerful.
I would not give up my Y for one since I don't need something that size and the Y is much more fun to drive on a daily basis. I have had many full size trucks and while I needed them at the time for towing my racecars I don't miss having them for daily use.

I don't think most people who buy Teslas cross shop Fords. It's never been a premium auto brand.

Neither is Tesla. Tesla is an EXPENSIVE brand, not a PREMIUM brand.

The F150 lightning is on my short list of future purchases. I probably wouldn't sell my MYP to get one though, it would be "in addition to" not "as replacement for" the MYP.

Keith

The F150 lightning is on my short list of future purchases. I probably wouldn't sell my MYP to get one though, it would be "in addition to" not "as replacement for" the MYP.

Keith
I disagree. Tesla has multiple tiers and the MS/MX are premium cars. M3/MY are introductory models.

Ford on the other hand, has always been a pretty low quality brand.

I don't see how you can even attempt to compare the two. That being said, I would not consider an electric truck until it had close to 300 miles of range a while towing. That's what I need a truck to do, otherwise it's hardly a truck. IMO.

Reactions: Art84
I disagree. Tesla has multiple tiers and the MS/MX are premium cars. M3/MY are introductory models.

Ford on the other hand, has always been a pretty low quality brand.

The interior of an S or X is blown away by any premium brand. Tesla faithful will make excuse after excuse for the reasons why but it is still true.

Speaking of the truck market, Ford is a very high quality brand where you can get a $40,000 truck or a $102,000 truck depending on your desire for luxury features. All in the same F150 lightning model.

Keith

• Disagree
Reactions: Jjrss and mdsco
I will wait for the Gen 2 Ford Lightning. Current model is decent, but it is on a modified F150 ICE frame. Gen 2 will be designed from the ground up to be EV. Should be much better vehicle. Hopefully the supply chain issues stabilize by then and the newness wears off so the price will be reasonable.

I was really tempted by the $40k Pro model when I looked at what it came with. So much stuff for so little money. Of course, I have zero use for a full sized truck and I can't get one for probably many years due to limited production. Plus the price has since gone up by $6~7k, so it's a moot point.

I wouldn't get any truck to replace the Y though. If I ever actually get a truck, it would be in addition to a more normal sized everyday vehicle.

Keith
I agree with you Keith. I've had many luxury cars, and me driving an EV is only due to the fact that I'm driving 2k plus miles a month. I don't like the gas bills or maintenace.

I will purchase both and let everyone know my thoughts. I believe the Y is better for everyday, as others have mentioned the Lightning is HUGE. I'll probably need the cargo space once a week, But even then, I have a newer Chevy cargo van for those needs.

Biggest decision would be If i want to drive a boat everyday. MYP $ 75k OTD. Lariat Lightning roughly $86k OTD.